Anyone have issues connecting laptop to OPPO UDP-205 usb dac input for online streaming?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I have a laptop using Windows 10, I'm unable to get online music (Amazon Music HD) to stream to my Marantz SR-7011, using a usb A to B cable. The oppo usb drive is 2 updates behind, currently #0112, my laptop couldn't update the driver from the oppo website. I'm assuming the current drive version would still suffice.

I have all 7.1 analog cable from my oppo to my Marantz 7.1 analog input
Tried the rca audio out from the oppo to my Marantz CD rca input, the Input Select is set to analog on the Marantz
I previously used the CD rca input of the Marantz for a CD player, so this input does work.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you download the driver mentioned on page 20 of the manual?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I attempted to download the latest driver, but my laptop is having issues extracting it, something about needing a DLL.
My laptop does show an oppo usb drive in the Sound folder & set as default.

Last edited:
S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
From page 20 (the actual printed page number) here http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP20X/UDP-205_User_Manual_English_V1.0.0.pdf

"To utilize the USB DAC input from a Windows computer (XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10), a software driver needs to be installed on the computer. The driver is available online at UDP-205 support page on the OPPO Digital website (www.oppodigital.com)."
I read the wrong page.
I did download the driver, but the laptop can not extract, it says it need a DLL.
I already have an oppo driver installed but it's 2 versions old.

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I version #0112 installed, unable to install the last versions.

From OPPO website:
If your current USB DAC firmware version is USB-0112, you will first need to choose the file labelled “fw_udp205_dac_build0115.bin”, and then you will be able to upgrade using “fw_udp205_dac_build0118.bin”.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried contacting/asking Oppo for further guidance?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried contacting/asking Oppo for further guidance?
I wasn't aware they would still have support on this discontinued model.

However, I did detect a faint sound emitting from my floor speakers, the audio wasn,t really noticeable until I turned the volume up to 40, my causal listening level is around 25, I now need to set the volume to my maximum set limit of 60 on the Marantz. I have my source level set to the maximum.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wasn't aware they would still have support on this discontinued model.

However, I did detect a faint sound emitting from my floor speakers, the audio wasn,t really noticeable until I turned the volume up to 40, my causal listening level is around 25, I now need to set the volume to my maximum set limit of 60 on the Marantz. I have my source level set to the maximum.
There's still support here in the US, and they have somewhat committed to such particularly on the last two models (I got a 203 on the day they announced they were ceasing production). https://oppodigital.com/

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a laptop using Windows 10, I'm unable to get online music (Amazon Music HD) to stream to my Marantz SR-7011, using a usb A to B cable. The oppo usb drive is 2 updates behind, currently #0112, my laptop couldn't update the driver from the oppo website. I'm assuming the current drive version would still suffice.

I have all 7.1 analog cable from my oppo to my Marantz 7.1 analog input
Tried the rca audio out from the oppo to my Marantz CD rca input, the Input Select is set to analog on the Marantz
I previously used the CD rca input of the Marantz for a CD player, so this input does work.
I have the Oppo 205 as well...I have been able to stream my own content from my laptop wired via the USB dac, even SACDs....have not tried a 3rd party HD service yet.

I'm set up hdmi, dedicated 2 ch analog, and 7.1 analog from the Marantz to the oppo...If you haven't tried it, see if the HDMI connection will work.

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I have the Oppo 205 as well...I have been able to stream my own content from my laptop wired via the USB dac, even SACDs....have not tried a 3rd party HD service yet.

I'm set up hdmi, dedicated 2 ch analog, and 7.1 analog from the Marantz to the oppo...If you haven't tried it, see if the HDMI connection will work.
My main audio connection is 7 audio channel out to my Marantz, I have tried hdmi audio out and stereo audio out. I haven't tried optical or coaxial out as of yet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you tried simply streaming it to your Marantz instead of hard wiring it?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried simply streaming it to your Marantz instead of hard wiring it?
I have connected my laptop via hdmi into a hdmi in of my Marantz, for some reason the volume is so low I have to turn the volume up quite a bit higher than from other audio sources and the resolution limit is 24/92 I believe, which is fine if the volume would equal with the other audio sources.

The Marantz HEOS works quite well but Amazon Music HD features does not work with HEOS except the play now, skip forward and search. My main purpose is to be able to use all of Amazon Music's features.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have connected my laptop via hdmi into a hdmi in of my Marantz, for some reason the volume is so low I have to turn the volume up quite a bit higher than from other audio sources and the resolution limit is 24/92 I believe, which is fine if the volume would equal with the other audio sources.

The Marantz HEOS works quite well but Amazon Music HD features does not work with HEOS except the play now, skip forward and search. My main purpose is to be able to use all of Amazon Music's features.
I haven't used the Amazon service....my experience with them and their music software (from their auto rips and the library you build up via purchasing cds and then use to transfer to your computer) hasn't been very good. Is HEOS the only way to stream? There's no separate list of available devices in the Amazon app itself?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I haven't used the Amazon service....my experience with them and their music software (from their auto rips and the library you build up via purchasing cds and then use to transfer to your computer) hasn't been very good. Is HEOS the only way to stream? There's no separate list of available devices in the Amazon app itself?
No other way that I'm aware of. As a Christmas gift, I received the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC which I wanted to connect to my downstairs Outlaw RR2160 stereo to my PC where I can play my library of CD's and there I will be able to stream Amazon Music and take advantage of all of AM-HD features.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My main audio connection is 7 audio channel out to my Marantz, I have tried hdmi audio out and stereo audio out. I haven't tried optical or coaxial out as of yet.
My guess is it's the Amazon HD content....Have you been able to stream you own content? What about mp3 files from iTunes, Spotify etc?

I'm not able to stream large SACD files unless I'm hardwired. As far as 3rd party streamers such as Amazon...no problem streaming Prime music content last night. I have not signed up for hi-res content from anyone yet but based on my experience with my own hi res files, I don't expect I will be able to stream unless I'm hardwired.

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
My guess is it's the Amazon HD content....Have you been able to stream you own content? What about mp3 files from iTunes, Spotify etc?

I'm not able to stream large SACD files unless I'm hardwired. As far as 3rd party streamers such as Amazon...no problem streaming Prime music content last night. I have not signed up for hi-res content from anyone yet but based on my experience with my own hi res files, I don't expect I will be able to stream unless I'm hardwired.
When you say hardwire, you mean running an ethernet cable from my router to my lap top?

I'm not having any issues streaming Hi--res music to my Marantz using the HEOS app or playing Hi-res music on any of my mobile devices using wifi, same thing with streaming video (4k) from various sources to my TV's via wifi.

I'll haven't messed around trying to get the oppo's dac to work since I started the first posting. I'll give it one more shot at it this afternoon and see what happens, maybe I missed something during the first attempt.

Appreciate your suggestions/comments.

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
I was able to get the hdmi to work from the laptop to oppo. The music quality doesn't seem quite as good compared to streaming with HEOS. On a familiar song playback with Amazon Music HD, it sounded somewhat weak & harsh, that particular song was streaming CD quality.

Other from that, I'm stumped on why that usb dac input isn't working.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Whether your going from your laptop to the Marantz or your going from the laptop to the Oppo,.
Have you turned the volume up on your laptop ? And did you set up the devices properly on the laptop in the sound control panel ?

S

StratCountry

Audioholic Intern
Whether your going from your laptop to the Marantz or your going from the laptop to the Oppo,.
Have you turned the volume up on your laptop ? And did you set up the devices properly on the laptop in the sound control panel ?
I have the volume at maximum on the laptop including volume on the Amazon Music app.

In the control panel under sound, I had set it from DVD quality to 16/176 but must have forgotten to hit the apply, I went back in and saw it was at the defult setting of DVD.
Set it back up to 24/176. Sounds like it should now.
Earlier I said I was hearing some distortion/harshness in the upper frequencies , I listened to the same CD track through HEOS, I clearly picked it out as an acoustic guitar playing in the right channel. After resetting the sound quality in the control panel, I can hear the same acoustic guitar playing in the right channel of the Amazon Music app.

I have read in a number of places that using a USB 2 audio connection over hdmi, the audio quality improves since it bypasses most or all of the pc's circuitry. So going on this, I will have to keep attempting getting my usb 2 audio to work. I have oppo's 1st version of this usb installed, for some reason, my laptop will not install oppo's last to versions after downloading them. Seems the 1st version should be enough to get me going via USB connection.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis