Anyone have experience with Ascend ?

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
I'm looking at the 340 SE's vs the JBL 230 and Elac Debut 6 and B&W 685 S2

oldgoalie33

oldgoalie33

Junior Audioholic
I've never owned the 340 SE's but they've been around a long time and seem to have a good following. I purchased Sierra 1's from Dave and ended up returning them. No problems on the order or return end. Very good to deal with.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I looked at them and really, really wanted them. I read a lot about them, and PM'd a lot of members here and the 340s sound like amazing speakers. I think you'd be smart to get them and try them out. Like I said I really wanted them and was going up get them or the Sierra 2 s but decided to go 4k before doing anything audio. Email Dave, he is awesome. Register on the forum then have on Ascend acoustics website. Honest answer all the way around on there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've got LCR set of Sierra1s, a pair of 170SEs and a couple pair of the 200SE. Good speakers all. They are really nice to deal with and the owner/designer, Dave Fabrikant, will answer questions and Dina will keep things moving.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
When I was looking into buying forever speakers instead of placeholders about 10 years ago, the 340's were on my short list. I ended up buying the then-new Sierra-1's for L/C/R and the HTM-200's for surround backs. A few years ago I factory modified the Sierra-1's to Sierra-2's and recently added 4 more HTM-200's for overhead Atmos. Only the surround L/R aren't Ascend and I may replace those at some point.

Ditto comments on Dave and Dina. I've had good experiences dealing with both.

T

ThunderClap

Audioholic
When I was looking into buying forever speakers instead of placeholders about 10 years ago, the 340's were on my short list. I ended up buying the then-new Sierra-1's for L/C/R and the HTM-200's for surround backs. A few years ago I factory modified the Sierra-1's to Sierra-2's and recently added 4 more HTM-200's for overhead Atmos. Only the surround L/R aren't Ascend and I may replace those at some point.

Ditto comments on Dave and Dina. I've had good experiences dealing with both.
Yes but how do they sound ?

I see a pair on Audiogone - guy said he wasn’t fond of sound .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes but how do they sound ?

I see a pair on Audiogone - guy said he wasn’t fond of sound .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haven't heard the 340SE but I'd buy them if I were in the market for something like that. Hard to say what speakers you'd like the sound of....any examples of speakers you prefer in your room now?

ps I have read far more positive comments about the 340 than negative ones....but it's a subjective thing as well as dependent on the environment....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I preferred the Philharmonic AA's over the 340's, but, as said it is user preference. I appreciate that Dave got generally great performance out of the drivers he used with nothing really "wrong". I felt the AA's were a bit more neutral, but the 340's were still quite good.
The 340 and 170 have very much the same sound, but the 340 are decidedly more powerful speakers (and impressed me as more powerful than the AA's - though I didn't push either that far). Depending on your room size, you could save some money with the 170's, or shipping would be less if you evaluate the 170's. If you like them, they could be your surrounds and you could get 340's for the mains if you decided to go Ascend.

B

Blue Dude

Audioholic
I didn't audition the 340's but by all accounts it's an easy to drive neutral-sounding speaker that timbre matches well with any other Canadian-style neutral design. Good bang for buck. The Sierra's were more bang for more bucks, so I stretched my budget to accommodate them. Same for the -2 upgrade.

C

clarence2society

Audioholic Intern
I preferred the Philharmonic AA's over the 340's, but, as said it is user preference. I appreciate that Dave got generally great performance out of the drivers he used with nothing really "wrong". I felt the AA's were a bit more neutral, but the 340's were still quite good.
The 340 and 170 have very much the same sound, but the 340 are decidedly more powerful speakers (and impressed me as more powerful than the AA's - though I didn't push either that far). Depending on your room size, you could save some money with the 170's, or shipping would be less if you evaluate the 170's. If you like them, they could be your surrounds and you could get 340's for the mains if you decided to go Ascend.
thats funny i had just started thinking that half way through then you said it.. i may do this..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis