Anyone ever dealt with Stax headphones?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys,
I've had a pair of Stax SR-80 Lambda Jr. electret headphones for a long while now, and am loving them! They have to be used with a special preamp, the SRD4, which is connected by speaker wire to your receiver/amplifier. They can be quite pricey (especially the high end electrostatic 6 pin models,) but if ya'll have ever dealt with them, what do you think about them? I honestly think they're the best headphones ever made. :)
Thanks,
Ryan (Or Kaa, Or Snake)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Sorry bud, never heard of them. Im not a head phone guy either tho.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have heard the Stax SR-L 700 and yes they are amazing headphones and they are surprisingly comfortable as well considering their size. They are best sounding headphones I have heard but I would not buy them as they are so expensive. You can get many great headphones for the fraction of their price that sound great and can be run directly from your phone for example. If I had no change to have great speakers like I have then I could consider having a pair.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Way back in the day late 70s early 80s Stax were considered the best headphones you could purchase. Kind of like the Nakamichi cassette decks back then. I heard a pair once and the sound was incredible. I'm not sure I would spend the $$ now though.
Dave

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Way back in the day late 70s early 80s Stax were considered the best headphones you could purchase. Kind of like the Nakamichi cassette decks back then. I heard a pair once and the sound was incredible. I'm not sure I would spend the $$ now though.
Dave
I have two sets. One SR-80 and one SR-30.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I have two sets. One SR-80 and one SR-30.
Nice. I don't remember the model I listened to back in the 80s but it was the best headphone I've ever heard. These days I'm doing my headphone listening with some inexpensive Grados and AKGs. I prefer the sound of the Grados but the AKGs are more comfortable. But congrats on owning some excellent phones.
Dave

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Nice. I don't remember the model I listened to back in the 80s but it was the best headphone I've ever heard. These days I'm doing my headphone listening with some inexpensive Grados and AKGs. I prefer the sound of the Grados but the AKGs are more comfortable. But congrats on owning some excellent phones.
Dave
Where they square or round? 6 pin or 5 pin?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Square. I think they were the Lambda model. I only listened to them once but like I said they were the best headphones I ever heard. Back then I had some Sennheiser HD 420s and some AKG K240 sextettes both considered very good phones in the 80s. Not as good as the Stax though.
Dave

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis