Anybody into watches?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
Many of the high end watch places will send you free "catelogs" if you go to their website. They're actually hard back books with high res pictures lol. I know I've got one from Coultre and A. Lange & Sohne back home which I got over Christmas break.. They tell you a bunch about the history of the company and show details of every watch in their line up

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I have a few. I have 2 tag carrera chrono, 1 tag f1, 1 tissot trace, 1 Hamilton khaki officer, and 1 edifice. I have been in the hunt for a monte blanc time walker or ball fireman, but I don't want to buy without trying on and I have bad few chances locally.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm a big fan of watches, although I haven't really started my collection yet. I have an automatic seiko 5 that I'll post a picture of later. I'm actually trying to pick out a watch that I want as a graduation present, 2k max. I've been looking at the Frederique Constants. Anyone have a recommendation? I have small wrists, so I'm trying to keep it around 40mm max

Attachments

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
The thing I like about mechanical watches, you can tell which one(s) are the banished stepchild since they're not set right.
LOL...so true!

I just revived my watch winder storage box and you're right, the black face Daytona hasn't seen much action lately!
I had previously used the white faced Daytona as my daily work watch, the blue faced Submariner for weekend rough stuff and the newly purchased Bremont is the current favorite.

GoFastr

GoFastr

Full Audioholic
Thanks! I bought it on a bracelet because honestly, it looked fantastic in the jeweler's showroom. As time passed sometimes the 'bling' was bit much for me which is why most of the time I wear on a strap now. I think I prefer the look of it on a strap as you can focus more on the head of the watch.

Not all Breitlings are large. Look at the Navitimer or the Montbrillant, I think those hover around 38-40mm

Nice Hamilton. Is that a newer model?

All those Rollies and no Sea Dweller or Submariner? But you do have a Daytona, can't go wrong with a Daytona!

Nice Weil, very clean and understated! My buddy got a Raymond Weil last year from his girl for his birthday. She works for a place that sells them and she got a nice discount on it.

If money wasn't an issue I'd probably have watches by, Vacheron Constantin, Jaegar Le Coultre, Philippe Dufour, Audemars Piguet and Greubel Forsey just to name a few :)
The blue faced SS Submariner one is my weekend fishing watch and for the other rough and tough stuff.

My tennis partner was just telling me about his Audemars Piquet. Those are very nice too. I like the Millenary 4101.
Something about seeing the insides of a watch is a new facination to me now.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Very nice Hamilton, I didn't realized such a nice watch with ETA chrono movt. cost so little (relatively)
I think Hamilton is a good bang for the buck brand. Well crafted, nice movt., relatively inexpensive, nice styling etc.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Nice Hamilton. Is that a newer model?
I think it is a relatively new model. A reinterpretation of a past model perhaps. I know that last year or the year before they sold a limited edition version called the 1971 (I believe only 1,971 were made). Blue dial, brown strap. Definitely my favorite version but they are hard to come by and sell for $2,500 plus when you do. I didn't want to spend that kind of coin on a Hamilton.

dkane360

dkane360

I'm a big fan of watches, although I haven't really started my collection yet. I have an automatic seiko 5 that I'll post a picture of later. I'm actually trying to pick out a watch that I want as a graduation present, 2k max. I've been looking at the Frederique Constants. Anyone have a recommendation? I have small wrists, so I'm trying to keep it around 40mm max
After a long search, I finally got my graduation present. I may have gone a little over the budget (understatement of the day), but it's just a different league of watch from what I was looking at. With that introduction, I present my Omega Aqua Terra 8500 38.5mm Opaline. Sorry about the iPhone pics, too lazy to get out my camera.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
After a long search, I finally got my graduation present. I may have gone a little over the budget (understatement of the day), but it's just a different league of watch from what I was looking at. With that introduction, I present my Omega Aqua Terra 8500 38.5mm Opaline. Sorry about the iPhone pics, too lazy to get out my camera.
Congrats! Great looking watch. I am sure it will invaluable for your diving activities ;)
and re: blowing out the budget of the window, oh well - you only live once :)

J

jpcamaro70

Audiophyte
A watch thread in an audio forum. Awesome.

I'm a big watch fan, however it's also tough for me to justify the cost of a nice watch, it seems everything I like to wear is over a grand. In addition to a few "junk" watches, my nice ones are two Rado's, a Movado and a Burberry.

dkane360

dkane360

Congrats! Great looking watch. I am sure it will invaluable for your diving activities ;)
and re: blowing out the budget of the window, oh well - you only live once :)
The diving aspect of the watch was important to me because I wanted a watch that could hold up in all kinds of conditions. It's not a full blown diving watch, but I feel comfortable doing just about anything while wearing it. I know you were just messing with me, but I just wanted to say why I ended up looking at the Seamasters.

The next watch I want though will probably be a pilot watch (maybe a Stowa) or a diver like the Sinn T2.

Tyfighter

Tyfighter

Junior Audioholic
My father is a huge watch fiend, I have around 7.

To be honest, I don't like the new generation watches, they are way too big. What seemed to happen is about 6-8 years ago, women wanted bigger male watches, and manufacturers delivered. Then, all of the sudden guys had to have even Larger watches to make up for the large faces going to women, it's a horrible cycle. We've come a long way from the pocket-watch, only to see watch faces as large as old pocket watches appearing at retail and people are buying them. Celebs got this cycle started from what I recall, and of course we follow their set trends.

Our great grandfathers would not be amused...if they gave a damn, lol.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I can't stand large watches. My wrist is barely 6" around, so all the big watches or big straps look dumb on me.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have a decent watch collection, sold 2 early Patek Philippes when we were buying the property I built my house on, got exactly what I paid for them 4 years prior and never wore them once, I don't know if you call that a bad investment or what but zero profit, sold them to the collector I bought them from, lol... I have almost 20 watches, and wear one my Tag Aryton Senna signature, I have had it for a while I believe its a Valjoux 7750 which seems to be super reliable and low maint. , plus knock on wood it doesnt have a scratch on it so made pretty well... I do take off my watch when I am doing physical labor so they stay decent, no pushing boilers up stairs with a watch on, glasses in my shirt, or phone in my pocket, don't ask me how I learned them rules....

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have an Omega Constellation I got as a gift years ago, but I have to admit I seldom wear it. I carry around an iPhone wherever I go, and I'm always looking at it. A watch just seems like jewelry nowadays. Ten years ago I felt naked without one, but no more.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have an Omega Constellation I got as a gift years ago, but I have to admit I seldom wear it. I carry around an iPhone wherever I go, and I'm always looking at it. A watch just seems like jewelry nowadays. Ten years ago I felt naked without one, but no more.
This is true, but I prefer my watch over phone clock when meeting with clients or anyone for that matter, its easier to sneak a look at my watch to see what time it is vs pulling out my phone. I learned this at a business class I took a while back, showed that when your client sees you looking at the clock they think they are wasting your time and you are in a hurry to say what they want to hear...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis