Any quality streamer with T.V. screen interface out there?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the reply, it was educational, as that I am a somewhat inexperienced audiophile. "Audiophile" in quotation marks of course. My current set-up is a 7.2 home theatre, with an Onkyo 820 AV receiver, a pair of Focal chorus 726's doing the main/2 channel. A Roku provides the streaming. I previously had a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225's as the mains. I thought I had adhered to the classic speaker hierarchy. I have to admit, going form the Wharfedaleles to the Focals was in theory, a 300% increase in price, but definitely no improvement in sound. None that I can detect anyway. If anything, I like the Wharefedales better as the mains. Long ago, I started with a Yamaha RN-303 and 2 Fluance's as mains. I have been trying to improve ever since. Trying.
Another question, "JMHO" stands for what exactly?
Glad you could filter thru the typos...lol

JMHO...just my humble opinion

Focals...I've never heard a pair, but the reviews are good across the board. I too think you've followed the rule of thumb on the most important piece of the puzzle.

Hearing...not all of us hear at the same level..I know you ramped up 300% in price with the Focals, at the end of the day, it's a <$2000 speaker. That could be why you didn't hear much if any difference with the Wharfdales even though they were considerably more.

Sharing another experience...My 20+ yr B&W 804m are now serving as surrounds until I gift them to my son, but they were the base of my system for a long time. This was a close out speaker in '96 or '97 and it was around $2500. (to give you a sense of where B&W has gone...the 804D3 is $9k a pr now) The new Nautilus line was already out, they gave me a small incentive to act now on what they had remaining in the floor standing matrix line and I did.

A few years ago I thought it was time to upgrade the system and in keeping with the old adage of speakers being the most important...I started with speakers and demoed a lot initially in the $2000-$3000 range and I wasn't being wowed at all. I started listening to speakers in the $5k-$6k range and now I felt like I was hearing something better than what I had...something more true to the recording.

So...another thing I would do just to test the hearing issue is I would take some familiar music and if you have a hifi dealer in town, go in and listen to this familiar content on speakers that are say $3000 to $5000...and pay attention to the source if the retailer is supplying the music. See what you gather from that.

In the meantime..moving up to the hifi tier at Deezer is really the only thing I would suggest doing right now that will cost money...give it a month, worst case you can't tell a difference and go back to basic...no harm, no foul.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I meant (N)etwork (A)ttached (S)torage. I use a WD router with a built in 2tb hard drive to store media. I can access it from the MUSIC SERVER app in the Onkyo's NET input. I have ripped many of my CD's in a lossless format to enjoy from the hard drive. I use the remote control when I have the TV on, but usually have it off when listening to music unless I am playing a disc. I use the Onkyo app in my phone if I am in another room doing something and want to stream some background music. I can power up the Onkyo from the app and not run the TV or be in front of the receiver to make selections. I like as few links in the chain as possible. If I can use a built in app on the receiver, I'll use it over an app from another device. The Onkyo app is really just a network connected remote control and the device screen replaces the TV screen although the menus have a different look about them. You may want to try free trials of Tidal or Amazon HD music services to see how you like them.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Glad you could filter thru the typos...lol

JMHO...just my humble opinion

Focals...I've never heard a pair, but the reviews are good across the board. I too think you've followed the rule of thumb on the most important piece of the puzzle.

Hearing...not all of us hear at the same level..I know you ramped up 300% in price with the Focals, at the end of the day, it's a <$2000 speaker. That could be why you didn't hear much if any difference with the Wharfdales even though they were considerably more.

Sharing another experience...My 20+ yr B&W 804m are now serving as surrounds until I gift them to my son, but they were the base of my system for a long time. This was a close out speaker in '96 or '97 and it was around $2500. (to give you a sense of where B&W has gone...the 804D3 is $9k a pr now) The new Nautilus line was already out, they gave me a small incentive to act now on what they had remaining in the floor standing matrix line and I did.

A few years ago I thought it was time to upgrade the system and in keeping with the old adage of speakers being the most important...I started with speakers and demoed a lot initially in the $2000-$3000 range and I wasn't being wowed at all. I started listening to speakers in the $5k-$6k range and now I felt like I was hearing something better than what I had...something more true to the recording.

So...another thing I would do just to test the hearing issue is I would take some familiar music and if you have a hifi dealer in town, go in and listen to this familiar content on speakers that are say $3000 to $5000...and pay attention to the source if the retailer is supplying the music. See what you gather from that.

In the meantime..moving up to the hifi tier at Deezer is really the only thing I would suggest doing right now that will cost money...give it a month, worst case you can't tell a difference and go back to basic...no harm, no foul.
I will try out the Deezer subscription upgrade, and see what I can hear. Your input was greatly appreciated. Thanks.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I meant (N)etwork (A)ttached (S)torage. I use a WD router with a built in 2tb hard drive to store media. I can access it from the MUSIC SERVER app in the Onkyo's NET input. I have ripped many of my CD's in a lossless format to enjoy from the hard drive. I use the remote control when I have the TV on, but usually have it off when listening to music unless I am playing a disc. I use the Onkyo app in my phone if I am in another room doing something and want to stream some background music. I can power up the Onkyo from the app and not run the TV or be in front of the receiver to make selections. I like as few links in the chain as possible. If I can use a built in app on the receiver, I'll use it over an app from another device. The Onkyo app is really just a network connected remote control and the device screen replaces the TV screen although the menus have a different look about them. You may want to try free trials of Tidal or Amazon HD music services to see how you like them.
Appreciated, thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think the crux of this discussion is missing the main point...

Digital audio will come into your home, from the Internet, fully encoded as a digital file. It will come over crappy wires, and crappy servers, and still make it to your home as a perfect digital representation of the audio.

Then it goes into your Roku which does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the audio. It passes it on to your A/V receiver.

I can't imagine that the Roku isn't capable of full CD sound, if not even better.
They have detailed specifications on formats supported right here:

Now, instead of worrying about how good the audio from your Roku is, as it is PERFECT, you should look at the source, and your actual decoder (the receiver). A high quality A/V receiver with higher level DACs in it will be capable of giving you the best possible sound for the money.

A home theater PC (HTPC) is very capable, but may be much more of a headache than you would like to deal with, and you will not necessarily have audiophile grade design from top to bottom. Even with good parts in it, a good PC still is far more likely to have electrical cross talk than a purpose built piece of audio gear with decades of experience (like a Marantz pre-amp).

The OTHER half is your source. As mentioned, you aren't even using the best quality audio from the provider you are using. You have to look into the services you are using to find out what format they are using to send you audio. Is it MP3, FLAC, ALAC, and at what bit rate? If you want better audio, you need to start with better audio. Then see how much of an improvement you get.

Bluesound is widely regarded as one of the best ways to get streaming audio. Yet, I don't believe they offer a 10 foot interface.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I think the crux of this discussion is missing the main point...

Digital audio will come into your home, from the Internet, fully encoded as a digital file. It will come over crappy wires, and crappy servers, and still make it to your home as a perfect digital representation of the audio.

Then it goes into your Roku which does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to the audio. It passes it on to your A/V receiver.

I can't imagine that the Roku isn't capable of full CD sound, if not even better.
They have detailed specifications on formats supported right here:

Now, instead of worrying about how good the audio from your Roku is, as it is PERFECT, you should look at the source, and your actual decoder (the receiver). A high quality A/V receiver with higher level DACs in it will be capable of giving you the best possible sound for the money.

A home theater PC (HTPC) is very capable, but may be much more of a headache than you would like to deal with, and you will not necessarily have audiophile grade design from top to bottom. Even with good parts in it, a good PC still is far more likely to have electrical cross talk than a purpose built piece of audio gear with decades of experience (like a Marantz pre-amp).

The OTHER half is your source. As mentioned, you aren't even using the best quality audio from the provider you are using. You have to look into the services you are using to find out what format they are using to send you audio. Is it MP3, FLAC, ALAC, and at what bit rate? If you want better audio, you need to start with better audio. Then see how much of an improvement you get.

Bluesound is widely regarded as one of the best ways to get streaming audio. Yet, I don't believe they offer a 10 foot interface.
Thanks. Appreciated.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
...the best streamer available.
I'm going to throw this out as a consideration, that 'best' is one of those words that doesn't hold enough meaning.

It is possible from a HTPC to get the most options, and with a excellent design, you may get the best sound.

But, it is rare that it is the most cost effective. It may be difficult for a non-techie to setup. It may be inconvenient to use easily. It may not offer the service and support that a person would like. It may be overkill to the rest of the components within someone's system. It may even lack the size requirements to fit in a system.

So, while I agree that it can be 'the best' for audio quality. A poorly designed unit, or even an average design, may not be one bit better than what can be had for $50 from a Roku, for a lot of content, and offers up a host of additional considerations that truly do rule it out of consideration for the vast majority of buyers.

Which doesn't mean it also isn't absolutely perfect for some people as well. It definitely goes both ways.

Each person must decide how far down the rabbit hole they wish to go.

PerVirtuous

PerVirtuous

Enthusiast
Also, at Amazon on sale for $40 you can get an Easycast wireless receiver that plugs directly into the HDMI port of your AVR or your TV. Then you can use a phone or a tablet to stream digital input directly to the receiver or TV. The advantage of this method is that the signal bypasses the DAC on the phone or tablet, using the DAC on the receiver or TV instead. If you are satisfied with the DAC in your receiver, that is an inexpensive way to interface with audio streaming services. The wireless display adapter is windows 10 Compatible for Airplay, for Miracast, for DLNA, and works with for "EZCast" app to expand screen mirroring capabilities. I was just researching it when I saw this thread.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, at Amazon on sale for $40 you can get an Easycast wireless receiver that plugs directly into the HDMI port of your AVR or your TV. Then you can use a phone or a tablet to stream digital input directly to the receiver or TV. The advantage of this method is that the signal bypasses the DAC on the phone or tablet, using the DAC on the receiver or TV instead. If you are satisfied with the DAC in your receiver, that is an inexpensive way to interface with audio streaming services. The wireless display adapter is windows 10 Compatible for Airplay, for Miracast, for DLNA, and works with for "EZCast" app to expand screen mirroring capabilities. I was just researching it when I saw this thread.
FWIW the only time you're using the DAC on a piece of gear is when you're using the analog output....many implementations using a phone or tablet still send the digital stream to the dac in your avr/other device with dac you're using.....

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. When I said interface, I meant something like the interface that DEEZER offers on the ROKU device. When you use DEEZER on ROKU, you navigate your DEEZER account on your T.V. screen with your hand held ROKU remote control. That is the type of interface I was referring to. I am trying to avoid using my smartphone because I dislike that format. I enjoy streaming music while interfacing in front of my T.V. with a remote. So far, the only device I have been able to use is the ROKU. I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar device with a similar type of user interface. Thanks again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the reply. When I said interface, I meant something like the interface that DEEZER offers on the ROKU device. When you use DEEZER on ROKU, you navigate your DEEZER account on your T.V. screen with your hand held ROKU remote control. That is the type of interface I was referring to. I am trying to avoid using my smartphone because I dislike that format. I enjoy streaming music while interfacing in front of my T.V. with a remote. So far, the only device I have been able to use is the ROKU. I was wondering if anyone knows of a similar device with a similar type of user interface. Thanks again.
FWIW sounds similar to when I use spotify on my amazon fire stick/remote.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
FWIW sounds similar to when I use spotify on my amazon fire stick/remote.
It is.

Streaming services, such as Spotify, Pandora, Deezer, etc. all use the exact same interface across multiple platforms with a standardized interface. This interface is typically somewhat similar to what you will also find on your phone for that service. That allows them to create branding that is comfortable for users as they switch between platforms and go from their phone to a TV or to something else.

Amazon Fire, Roku, and AppleTV are some of the more popular devices. There are also devices such as nVidia Shield, Chromecast, and Android TV devices. Throw in game consoles like Playstation and XBox, and you have a myriad of choices for streaming to your TV and they all will look pretty much exactly the same, sound the same, and be the same.

Start with a high quality source.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I'm going to throw this out as a consideration, that 'best' is one of those words that doesn't hold enough meaning.

It is possible from a HTPC to get the most options, and with a excellent design, you may get the best sound.

But, it is rare that it is the most cost effective. It may be difficult for a non-techie to setup. It may be inconvenient to use easily. It may not offer the service and support that a person would like. It may be overkill to the rest of the components within someone's system. It may even lack the size requirements to fit in a system.

So, while I agree that it can be 'the best' for audio quality. A poorly designed unit, or even an average design, may not be one bit better than what can be had for $50 from a Roku, for a lot of content, and offers up a host of additional considerations that truly do rule it out of consideration for the vast majority of buyers.

Which doesn't mean it also isn't absolutely perfect for some people as well. It definitely goes both ways.

Each person must decide how far down the rabbit hole they wish to go.
I use a Roku ultra the little box thing and it runs fast , I’d recommend it . Amazon has a similar one but no remote and twice the price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I use a Roku ultra the little box thing and it runs fast , I’d recommend it . Amazon has a similar one but no remote and twice the price
Good choice on the Roku.

Fire TV from Amazon most certainly includes a remote control with every unit as far as I know.

They also aren't twice the price and Amazon often puts them on sale. This is to encourage people to use them to buy more stuff from them.

That said, Roku goes on sale from time to time. I've seen the Roku Ultra for as low as $50 on some holidays. I think I just got a Roku Stick for about 20 or 30 bucks for my sister for Christmas.

She was of the belief that since she didn't have a 'smart' TV she could enjoy Netflix or other streaming services. She didn't realize that streaming services existed well before Smart TVs were even a thing and that you could just plug a third party device into your TV to make it all happen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis