Any quality streamer with T.V. screen interface out there?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Hello everyone. Need some of your expertise. I currently stream Deezer and Spotify from my Roku Ultra, hooked up to my Onkyo AV receiver. The Roku Deezer/Spotify interface is on my HD TV screen which is very easy and enjoyable to use. The native Deezer and Spotify features that the Onkyo AV receiver offers are very slow and annoying to use and navigate. I would like to upgrade my Roku streamer to something more audiophile specific. The only requisite I have is that this streamer must offer either Deezer or Spotify, and it has to have an interface appear on a TV it can be connected to. I am not looking for an interface on the tiny screen the streamer has. I enjoy listening to streaming music in front of my TV. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Hello everyone. Need some of your expertise. I currently stream Deezer and Spotify from my Roku Ultra, hooked up to my Onkyo AV receiver. The Roku Deezer/Spotify interface is on my HD TV screen which is very easy and enjoyable to use. The native Deezer and Spotify features that the Onkyo AV receiver offers are very slow and annoying to use and navigate. I would like to upgrade my Roku streamer to something more audiophile specific. The only requisite I have is that this streamer must offer either Deezer or Spotify, and it has to have an interface appear on a TV it can be connected to. I am not looking for an interface on the tiny screen the streamer has. I enjoy listening to streaming music in front of my TV. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?
Not sure what an audiophile specific streamer is, but if you want something that is a step up from a Roku, I would suggest getting an NVIDIA Shield TV. I use mine for HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, Plex, Spotify, etc...

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
What are you looking to spend on this Streamer...Is this Deezer basic or the Lossless files on Hifi?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Not sure what an audiophile specific streamer is, but if you want something that is a step up from a Roku, I would suggest getting an NVIDIA Shield TV. I use mine for HBO Now, Hulu, Netflix, Plex, Spotify, etc...
When I said "audiophile streamer", I was referring to source components intended specifically for music streaming. Manufactured by a company that produces source components for audiophiles. Examples: Cocktail audio X50, Yamaha NP--303, Cambridge Audio CX2 V2. I know about the Invidia Shield, it is more of a general media streamer, it does not specialize in high quality music streaming. I thank you anyways.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
What are you looking to spend on this Streamer...Is this Deezer basic or the Lossless files on Hifi?
I do not know the exact specs of Deezer on Roku, but the interface is on the TV screen. Regarding my budget for the streamer, I was thinking under $1500.00.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Dont know of any audio focused streamers with a TV interface, they are all phone/tablet. (Which works great)
Lots of universal streamers out there like mentioned earlier, roku, appleTV, shield and so on.
Its probably not cost effective and will add extra interference and or cost to build with a HDMI TV connection.
There is the internal Heos for denon/marantz, yamaha and others have their own versions that stream audio with a TV graphical interface but probably not what you are looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2channel lover

I do not know the exact specs of Deezer on Roku, but the interface is on the TV screen. Regarding my budget for the streamer, I was thinking under $1500.00.
Audiophile...in this case...CD quality.

Source...Deezer & Spotify...what are you getting with Deezer? If you have the Hifi subscription...($19.99 a mo) you are getting 16/44 files most likely (CD quality).

Premium ($9.99) these compressed mp3 files, and the free service is an even more compressed mp3 file....this is according to the Deezer website.

Streamers...Many of the music specific streamers in the moderate price range such as Blue Node 2i, can pass 16/44 and in some case hi-res files. If you intend to stream primarily via 3rd party streaming services (such as Deezer)...the Blue Node2i would be my suggestion. Even if you wanted to include your own library (hi res files such as DSD) you can play them back vis the blue node 2i if the files were on a laptop or a hard drive..

The drawbacks...it won't process multi-ch music and it doesn't have storage for your own library.

For <$600 this is a very good option...especially if Deezer and Spotify are going to be the main sources.

Interface...I don't own a Blue Node2i so I can't vouch for the interface, but I can say in general and I'm repeating what I saw another poster say, but it's true...Most of these streamer interfaces are designed for tablets or phones, and the tablets that I have seen functioning with Roon/Qobuz imo are pretty awesome.

To have the interface on a TV...I'm not that techie, but it's possible for some smart TVs.

I've been researching music streamers for a good while now in the <$2000 price range and all have pros and cons so you really have to dig into them, but the Salk Streamplayer Gen 3 checks off more boxes than any other for me and it's roughly $1300-$1500 depending on you configurate it. It has no playback limitations and you can store your own library on it as well....both big checks for me.

The draw back of the stream player Gen 3 is there's no DAC, but you can use the DAC on your AVR...in my case I think I will connect it via the Oppo 205 and use the dac in it.

But...before I would go spending any money...figure out what is being piped in...because if you're getting mp3 files from Deezer and Spotify...you might not improve much on SQ with an expensive music streamer.

Last edited:
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
When I said "audiophile streamer", I was referring to source components intended specifically for music streaming. Manufactured by a company that produces source components for audiophiles. Examples: Cocktail audio X50, Yamaha NP--303, Cambridge Audio CX2 V2. I know about the Invidia Shield, it is more of a general media streamer, it does not specialize in high quality music streaming. I thank you anyways.
Well, I don't really associate Spotify with "audiophile quality". I use my shield to stream FLAC rips from my desktop PC through Plex. I'd consider that to be higher quality music streaming than Spotify any day. Works great, sounds great, doesn't cost $1500, has a TV interface.

2channel lover

Well, I don't really associate Spotify with "audiophile quality". I use my shield to stream FLAC rips from my desktop PC through Plex. I'd consider that to be higher quality music streaming than Spotify any day. Works great, sounds great, doesn't cost $1500, has a TV interface.
Unless he's got the hifi subscription...it's better than Deezer as well.

The OP is budgeting $1500 for a streamer...that's a solid budget for a streamer...hopefully he would have speakers up to the task and he's streaming something more than mp3 files.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Unless he's got the hifi subscription...it's better than Deezer as well.

The OP is budgeting $1500 for a streamer...that's a solid budget for a streamer...hopefully he would have speakers up to the task and he's streaming something more than mp3 files.
Shield TV works with Deezer and Spotify. It's going to pass the same digital signal to an AVR that a dedicated "audiophile streamer" would, no?

2channel lover

Shield TV works with Deezer and Spotify. It's going to pass the same digital signal to an AVR that a dedicated "audiophile streamer" would, no?
"audiophile streamer"...that's a pretty wide net you've cast... ;)

Yes....as I stated in my 1st the OP...almost any streamer will handle 16/44 files. I don't have any experience with the Sheild, but I have with the Blue Node2i.

I don think we really know the OPs needs entirely, but on the surface the Shield seems like a good fit but maybe not what he was expecting.

Last edited:
J

JCanada

Audioholic
Maybe your right. My Deezer subscription is the Premium at $9.99, so what is being "piped in" is probably not hi-fi. I found a streamer with an HDMI out, but it is listed at $4500.00. (Cocktail Audio X50D), way over my budget. Regarding PLEX, I am not sure how it works.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Audiophile...in this case...CD quality.

Source...Deezer & Spotify...what are you getting with Deezer? If you have the Hifi subscription...($19.99 a mo) you are getting 16/44 files most likely (CD quality).

Premium ($9.99) these compressed mp3 files, and the free service is an even more compressed mp3 file....this is according to the Deezer website.

Streamers...Many of the music specific streamers in the moderate price range such as Blue Node 2i, can pass 16/44 and in some case hi-res files. If you intend to stream primarily via 3rd party streaming services (such as Deezer)...the Blue Node2i would be my suggestion. Even if you wanted to include your own library (hi res files such as DSD) you can play them back vis the blue node 2i if the files were on a laptop or a hard drive..

The drawbacks...it won't process multi-ch music and it doesn't have storage for your own library.

For <$600 this is a very good option...especially if Deezer and Spotify are going to be the main sources.

Interface...I don't own a Blue Node2i so I can't vouch for the interface, but I can say in general and I'm repeating what I saw another poster say, but it's true...Most of these streamer interfaces are designed for tablets or phones, and the tablets that I have seen functioning with Roon/Qobuz imo are pretty awesome.

To have the interface on a TV...I'm not that techie, but it's possible for some smart TVs.

I've been researching music streamers for a good while now in the <$2000 price range and all have pros and cons so you really have to dig into them, but the Salk Streamplayer Gen 3 checks off more boxes than any other for me and it's roughly $1300-$1500 depending on you configurate it. It has no playback limitations and you can store your own library on it as well....both big checks for me.

The draw back of the stream player Gen 3 is there's no DAC, but you can use the DAC on your AVR...in my case I think I will connect it via the Oppo 205 and use the dac in it.

But...before I would go spending any money...figure out what is being piped in...because if you're getting mp3 files from Deezer and Spotify...you might not improve much on SQ with an expensive music streamer.
My Deezer subscription is the Premium $9.99. What would you suggest as an improvement from my Roku?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
"audiophile streamer"...that's a pretty wide net you've cast... ;)

Yes....as I stated in my 1st the OP...almost any streamer will handle 16/44 files. I don't have any experience with the Sheild, but I have with the Blue Node2i.

I don think we really know the OPs needs entirely, but on the surface the Shield seems like a good fit but maybe not what he was expecting.
My needs for the most part are as follows: Having a TV screen interface, while streaming digital music, from the Deezer, or Spotify library. I initially thought the Roku was entry level, low quality, and not specifically dedicated to music streaming only. I thought a dedicated music streamer would significantly improve sound quality.

2channel lover

My needs for the most part are as follows: Having a TV screen interface, while streaming digital music, from the Deezer, or Spotify library. I initially thought the Roku was entry level, low quality, and not specifically dedicated to music streaming only. I thought a dedicated music streamer would significantly improve sound quality.
An old hifi retailer that I bought my first "hifi" system from in the late 70s told me...the most part of your system are the speakers, next is the source or source player...whether this hireachy is correct or not imo doesn't really matter if you give all 3 the proper attention. By that I mean...$5k speakers and $50 CD player is not a great balance...at some point you'd want to upgrade the CD player.

As mentioned earlier, in your the source is an mp3 file (Deezer/Spotify)...a compressed file deemed to be less quality than a 16/44 (CD file).

Source player...right now iirc the Roku Streaming Stick....I have one of these on the kitchen TV...for the signal coming in (mp3 file)...the Roku is quite capable of handling this...a dedicated music streamer with a more expensive dac might actually sound worse if the speakers are neutral.

So...to get better sound quality here...start with a better source...the Deezer hifi subscription gets you CD quality SQ...depends on your speakers, how loud you play it, your hearing, etc. the improvement could be slight or pretty noticeable.

Audiophile...this word conjures up all kinds of thoughts, theories, etc...JMHO...quite simply, if the details in the music matter to you and you have a conscious effort to hear the music as the artist intended, you're an audiophile...some people have larger incomes and will often spend it searching for the holy grail of recorded music. Audiophiles can have systems that cost $2,500 (or less) and those spending $25,000 or in this industry...$250,000...lol.

I said that to say...you are willing to spend $1500 on a streamer to improve sound quality, clearly you care about the SQ...I'm curious what kind of speakers you have.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello JCanada. I use music streaming services on my Onkyo receiver as well. Have you tried using the Onkyo app on a smart phone or tablet? When I do not want the TV on, this is convenient as all of the information is visible on the device screen. It is also faster than the unit remote control for navigating between services and NAS media.

J

JCanada

Audioholic
An old hifi retailer that I bought my first "hifi" system from in the late 70s told me...the most part of your system are the speakers, next is the source or source player...whether this hireachy is correct or not imo doesn't really matter if you give all 3 the proper attention. By that I mean...$5k speakers and $50 CD player is not a great balance...at some point you'd want to upgrade the CD player.

As mentioned earlier, in your the source is an mp3 file (Deezer/Spotify)...a compressed file deemed to be less quality than a 16/44 (CD file).

Source player...right now iirc the Roku Streaming Stick....I have one of these on the kitchen TV...for the signal coming in (mp3 file)...the Roku is quite capable of handling this...a dedicated music streamer with a more expensive dac might actually sound worse if the speakers are neutral.

So...to get better sound quality here...start with a better source...the Deezer hifi subscription gets you CD quality SQ...depends on your speakers, how loud you play it, your hearing, etc. the improvement could be slight or pretty noticeable.

Audiophile...this word conjures up all kinds of thoughts, theories, etc...JMHO...quite simply, if the details in the music matter to you and you have a conscious effort to hear the music as the artist intended, you're an audiophile...some people have larger incomes and will often spend it searching for the holy grail of recorded music. Audiophiles can have systems that cost $2,500 (or less) and those spending $25,000 or in this industry...$250,000...lol.

I said that to say...you are willing to spend $1500 on a streamer to improve sound quality, clearly you care about the SQ...I'm curious what kind of speakers you have.
Thanks for the reply, it was educational, as that I am a somewhat inexperienced audiophile. "Audiophile" in quotation marks of course. My current set-up is a 7.2 home theatre, with an Onkyo 820 AV receiver, a pair of Focal chorus 726's doing the main/2 channel. A Roku provides the streaming. I previously had a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 225's as the mains. I thought I had adhered to the classic speaker hierarchy. I have to admit, going form the Wharfedaleles to the Focals was in theory, a 300% increase in price, but definitely no improvement in sound. None that I can detect anyway. If anything, I like the Wharefedales better as the mains. Long ago, I started with a Yamaha RN-303 and 2 Fluance's as mains. I have been trying to improve ever since. Trying.
Another question, "JMHO" stands for what exactly?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
Hello JCanada. I use music streaming services on my Onkyo receiver as well. Have you tried using the Onkyo app on a smart phone or tablet? When I do not want the TV on, this is convenient as all of the information is visible on the device screen. It is also faster than the unit remote control for navigating between services and NAS media.
Hey Trebdp83. I tried the Deezer feature Onkyo offers on my TV screen. I really did not like it. It was s-o-o-o-o slow. Slow compared to the Roku. Regarding using the phone App, I really don't like that either. I had to download/install apps and players when I tried to do it on my phone, so I just gave up. I like sitting in front of a TV, with a remote in my hand. My preference. Can you expand on what you mean by NAS media?

J

JCanada

Audioholic
I am not sure. Still learning. I just heard about this Deezer Hi-Fi a day ago. I had no idea that Deezer offered different quality sound streams. I though $9.99 bought you the best sound they offered. Still learning.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis