Any photos of Bose inards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

caupina

Full Audioholic
They didn't do well against other brand, so should I care???. Of course not, I like them and that what matters to me. My point is why don't let others decide for themselves instead of driving them away before even trying Bose or any other brand for that matter???? I think this forum is excellent, and I learned a lot from your reviews, etc, but some people are biased and trying to get a point across on the basis of comparison and diagrams and pictures and what not on such a subjective matter such as "what speaker sounds the best", in my opinion is a deceptive approach.
I don't have any idea what an audiophile is and I'm not trying to become something I'm not, but I like to listen to my music the way I do now, with the equipment I have and that includes the Bose speakers. Listening to some other high fidelity brand does nor guarantee I'm going to prefer them over the Bose. It's the same with so many other things, I think Pat Metheny Group rules, others may differ but hey that's my opinion and I won't force anybody into believing that what I say is the undisputable truth.
J_garcia: Harleys cost thousands dollars more than a regular japanese motorcycle, do I hate Harleys???. No, I don't but I wouldn't buy one if I have the money or try to steer somebody away from buying one if that person likes them. That's my opinion.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Harley has traditionally attracted a certain type of person. Bose attracts people who don't know any better, IMO. They presume they are getting something good based on name alone. Most people buy them just to say "I own Bose speakers" Not because they are good, but because the assumption is that they must be because there are a lot of people out there who believe they are. I am not referring to you specifically, nor is it the case for everyone who buys Bose, but that is often the case when I talk to people about these speakers.

They are not the total crap that many make them out to be, but they are far from the best out there. It really doesn't take an audiophile to hear the differences between them and less expensive speakers.

I am well acquainted with them as well, my father has a set of the tiny cubes as well as a wave radio.

My friend loves the Pat Metheny Group. I do not, but I love his speakers, which are not Bose :D

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
I'd tend to think that people who buy Harleys don't know any better either;) but it's their money so what do I care.
Bose is not bad unless you'd like me to believe that we all have problems with our hearing:D . I'm not conviced yet as to change speakers brand but I will if that makes a difference to us (my wife and myself)....so far Bose rules in my house:)

caupina said:
They didn't do well against other brand, so should I care??? Of course not, I like them and that what matters to me.
Hey, just be happy. This can be an expensive hobby. I think what people try to do here (at best) is educate others - but the real education can only be done by listening (or perhaps learning what to listen for). And you are absolutely correct - if you're happy, why should it matter? Enjoy the music!

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Thanks Clint!!!! That's the spirit. Good job on this website, very informative.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, people that preach to me Bose is the best drive me loopy....

I got that the other week...my Aunt came by and saw my Onix Ref 0.5...."How much were those?" "That much...you should have bought Bose" ....umm....no...Bose will not make my movies sound realistic enough that I am questioning whether that door knock is real or if it's the movie....and it will not reveal the mastering defects in some of my albums...I like hearing things like that...it adds a human touch to the often over-processed recordings of today.

...I guess I fall into the low-buck audio perfectionist category...if there is such a thing.

I do agree though, listen to what you like.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
caupina said:
I'd tend to think that people who buy Harleys don't know any better either;) but it's their money so what do I care.
:)
Most people who buy Harleys have already owned many other bikes. They know.
Most people who buy Bose have never had or heard high end speakers. They don't know.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
BOSE, marketing evil or god of quality speakers?

I usually read through the threads in this forum and I find it very informative. Yes, true, several folks here mix personal preference with facts. The point is, when you are in any forum be ready to sieve through info that you need and don't need. I, personally, like to read the data along with personal experiences so I know better and learn from them. Will it affect my decision? Probably but why not? Why are you so mad with the members here giving out their opinions that might or might not drive them away from a certain product? Same rule apply to you: if you don't like members who tell their personal preferences and drive others away from buying, in this case, BOSE, then don't read it. You don't have to be mad about it. You can choose NOT to read. Truth of the matter is, if this forum only lays out facts, it's going to be a borrrrringggg forum. It's going to be one of the scientific reports that you can find in your college textbook! Personal preferences and opinions add the spice to a thread.
For example taken from here :
The Bose 701 has dual 8" woofers, (1) 6.5" side firing midrange and (2) 2" paper tweeters. The 2" paper tweeters are too large for the task of high frequencies. The treble coming out of the 701's is very unrefined, raspy, and undetailed . The midrange sounded muddy, bloated, and 2 dimensional. It was extremely difficult to get these speakers to image properly as the sound just seemed to blare out in all directions with no uniformity or tonal consistency.

The bass extension was impressive for this speaker system and was the only minor strong point I found about this system. However, switching back and forth between the Bose 701's and the Pinnacle Reference was like night and day. Picture how your voice sounds when you try to speak 5 feet underwater. Now imagine how much clearer your voice sounds once you have lifted your head above sea level. The 701's represent your head 5' under water while the Reference puts you on a nice beach chair far above sea level, sipping Pina Coladas with a slightly cool breeze coming from the NE. In other words the Pinnacle Reference, and even all of the other speaker systems reviewed here crushed the Bose 701's with respect to overall fidelity, build quality, and value. After my listening session with these speakers, it is my opinion that Bose should change their slogan to "Better Sales Thru Marketing...".

I will only treat the second paragraph as the spice, but as a person looking for info, this won't be as bad as BOSE with it's often misleading marketing tricks. What I know so far from being in this forum is that most members here will say, go out and listen more (apart from their bashing of certain products). Whichever you like, it's your money and your ears. JMHO.;) Members here don't hold your checking account/money..so please don't say you don't have options to choose! Choose what you want to read and choose your own speakers!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
For those who are happy with Bose, please enjoy them. I have always believed it is much more about the "software" than the "hardware". Your music collection says far more about who you are than your gear. The best collection I ever saw belonged to a guy with 50,000 jazz albums and three rat shack stereos; one would play his rare 78 rpm vinyl.

For those who are shopping, be forewarned. There is a reason it is difficult to compare Bose to other models. Bose puts their gear in a separate area from the rest of the speakers so direct comparison is different. Certainly in Best Buys, they are in specially treated rooms and you can't see the amplifiers. The demo amplifiers are not what you buy to take home. They have higher power, have special room eq for the dedicated room they are in as well as the speakers' (poor) frequency response and the amp is hidden. So you are in for a surprise if you buy Bose when it won't sound the same at home as it did in the store.

I think that is unfair and misleading like most of their marketing, but it obviously isn't illegal. I am happy to try to warn those who are shopping, but it is a waste of time to convince those who have already bought otherwise. Besides if they are happy, who cares?

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Oh geez...

...this does get tedious...

First, I own Bose and am happy with them...second, yes they are overpriced (unless you take into account the cost for their ubiquitous and all pervasive adverts), some of their systems are closed-loop and I wouldn't recommend them...

That being said...I wil repeat this yet again:

You cannot compare the soundfield produced by direct radiators and that produced by Bose's Direct/Reflecting scheme...Amen...Period...That's all she wrote...

Different as night and day...Bose requires a completely different mindset/pardigm...you need to listen beyond the traditional in-your-face presentation and you need to listen into them to appreciate the effect...I have no other way to explain it...

Compared to typical loudspeakers, neither the FR or dispersion patterns of Bose products allow for a direct comparison based on what are considered normal listening parameters...they are filtered as is the sound they produce...if you don't like the effect, that's fine...that doesn't make them bad, just different...and no one is holding the proverbial gun, etc.

And for those who don't think they are capable of producing a life-like knock, door-bell, jingle of keys or the landing of a coin-toss...you just never heard them set up correctly...

jimHJJ(...you can all go back to your laser-totin' mechanical lizards now...)

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
gmichael said:
Most people who buy Harleys have already owned many other bikes. They know.
Most people who buy Bose have never had or heard high end speakers. They don't know.
Very not true statement. Most people who buy Harley's have seen and heard people say that Harley is the best motorcycle so that's what they buy. They're the same as Bose, substandard quality for a larger than normal price tag.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Wrong, you can get a Harley for the same price as an entry level sportbike.

The "overpriced" comes from all the upgrades people tend to slather onto them. Chrome costs money, and lots of chrome will cost a pretty penny, as will bodywork, fancy wheels, etc.

For about $6000, you can get into a Harley, which is about the price of an entry-level Ninja.

I'm thinking of getting a Harley myself. It will be customized around touring though, if I do get one. It won't be some chrome dripping fancy bike...instead I would opt to get the entire exhaust powder-coated and have as little chrome as possible, go for the "stealth" look. I know they aren't the "best"...I'm going for it just because they offer a decent bike for a reasonable price (so long as you keep it basic that is).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Harley's quality seems to have improved greatly in the last few years. The V-rod is one nice bike too.

C

caupina

Full Audioholic
Members here don't hold your checking account/money..so please don't say you don't have options to choose! Choose what you want to read and choose your own speakers!

I have never said that, but hey what's the point on arguing. I guess everybody interprets information differently. Happy weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Francious70 said:
Very not true statement. Most people who buy Harley's have seen and heard people say that Harley is the best motorcycle so that's what they buy. They're the same as Bose, substandard quality for a larger than normal price tag.
I've been driving motorcycles since 1969. I've owned them all. I've ridden with all different kinds of riders. Most Harley riders have owned many other bikes over the years. They know which ones are the fastest (not Harleys). They know which ones handle the best (again not Harleys). We know which ones need the least work (still not Harleys) But we know the scrore. We know what's what. We pick Harley's for reasons that I doubt you'd understand. But here's one easy reason. I just sold my 8 year old Low Rider for 70% of what I paid for it in 98. Try that with another brand.

Now Bose, these are bought by people who haven't listened to much. They sound good enough and the TV says they are the best so, let's jump in with both feet without listening.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:
Harley's quality seems to have improved greatly in the last few years. The V-rod is one nice bike too.
Porsche made the motor for that bike, thats why.

SheepStar

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
I've been riding for about 5 years now, so yes I do understand. And while I'll agree that the quality of their bikes has improved greatly in rescent years their price isn't justified. Compare the price tag of $5999 for a 2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic to $6999 for a 2007 Harley Sportster 883 base model and I'll choose the Yamaha.

As for resale value, I just sold my 1984 Honda for 120% of what I bought it for, and I never did anything to it other than gas it up.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Francious70 said:
I've been riding for about 5 years now, so yes I do understand. And while I'll agree that the quality of their bikes has improved greatly in rescent years their price isn't justified. Compare the price tag of $5999 for a 2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic to $6999 for a 2007 Harley Sportster 883 base model and I'll choose the Yamaha.

As for resale value, I just sold my 1984 Honda for 120% of what I bought it for, and I never did anything to it other than gas it up.
I owned 2 Honda's and both were great bikes. The first was an XR75 that I raced motocross with when I was 16. The other was a 750K that I drove cross country with when I was 25. But I believe the resale thing you came up with at 120% is more the exception than the rule. I'm not saying that Harley's are the "best". What I am saying is that the people who drive them are usually a little older and have already driven Honda's and Yamaha's etc. They are informed and know what they are getting into before they buy. Many will give the "Harleys are the best" speech. But they don't mean fastest, or handle the best. They know that they aren't. They want Harleys for other reasons. And you'd really have to own one to understand.

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Maybe your area of the world is different from mine cause around here the people who ride Harleys are either:

A.) 1%'ers

or

2.) People who own them and don't ride them but once or twice a year for the "Status"

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Resident Loser said:
...this does get tedious...

First, I own Bose and am happy with them...second, yes they are overpriced (unless you take into account the cost for their ubiquitous and all pervasive adverts), some of their systems are closed-loop and I wouldn't recommend them...

That being said...I wil repeat this yet again:

You cannot compare the soundfield produced by direct radiators and that produced by Bose's Direct/Reflecting scheme...Amen...Period...That's all she wrote...

Different as night and day...Bose requires a completely different mindset/pardigm...you need to listen beyond the traditional in-your-face presentation and you need to listen into them to appreciate the effect...I have no other way to explain it...

Compared to typical loudspeakers, neither the FR or dispersion patterns of Bose products allow for a direct comparison based on what are considered normal listening parameters...they are filtered as is the sound they produce...if you don't like the effect, that's fine...that doesn't make them bad, just different...and no one is holding the proverbial gun, etc.

And for those who don't think they are capable of producing a life-like knock, door-bell, jingle of keys or the landing of a coin-toss...you just never heard them set up correctly...

jimHJJ(...you can all go back to your laser-totin' mechanical lizards now...)
I don't care how you set them up, 2in paper tweeters, paper woofers in stamped baskets and lousy crossovers are NEVER going to sound good or be accurate no matter how many times you bounce them off the walls. You may like them but some people like beets with peanut butter too, that does not make it good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis