Any insight on Yamaha's recent amp power philosophy?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
True - I've often thought about picking up a comparable Denon and having them both at the same time to play with. See if I can hear a difference for myself between Denon and Yamaha. Although it wouldn't be a true blind listening test.
Don’t give into the dark side.... LOL :)
It’s fun to have 2 systems one in my home theater room where WAF has no meaning and one in the master bedroom for music, both Yamaha, but I might try Marantz vs Yamaha if I invade the living room... 3 systems... hmmm Those White KEF bookshelf speakers would pass for the living room with a matching center... Maybe a pair of Monolith 10 subs... :)

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
LOL - yeah, come to think of it.. you're absolutely right!:) I need another room in my house for sure. If I did have the inclination to get a separate system it wouldn't be another AVR, it would be a music only system based on an integrated Amp. But other than that I'm totally good with the Yamaha 3060.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I do. How do you set the crossover with main speakers set to large?
Sorry, just got back in town...

The subs default to the Xover selected for the Small channels. Not sure which Xover would take priority if, for some reason you chose multiple Xovers tho...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is probably not wise to use a distributor as a source for technical information, but I suspect A4L gets Yamaha to provide answers for their technical info.

If you go to A4L and to the AVR page, there is a place on the left where you can check filters for Yamaha and 4 Ohm stable. When you do this, you get:
https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=avreceiver&skip_redirect_suffix=&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc&brand_f[]=YAMAHA&home_audio_key[]=4 Ohm Stable
Indicating that the RX-A2060 is the least expensive Yamaha AVR they have that is 4 Ohm stable.
Notably, the 1060 is currently available from them, but is not listed until you remove the "4 ohm stable" check on the left!

TechHDS

Audioholic General
It is probably not wise to use a distributor as a source for technical information, but I suspect A4L gets Yamaha to provide answers for their technical info.

If you go to A4L and to the AVR page, there is a place on the left where you can check filters for Yamaha and 4 Ohm stable. When you do this, you get:
https://www.accessories4less.com/?type=&page=category&action=&id=avreceiver&skip_redirect_suffix=&mode=&search_query=&category=&thumb_sort=store_price.asc&brand_f[]=YAMAHA&home_audio_key[]=4 Ohm Stable
Indicating that the RX-A2060 is the least expensive Yamaha AVR they have that is 4 Ohm stable.
Notably, the 1060 is currently available from them, but is not listed until you remove the "4 ohm stable" check on the left!
Yamaha has me on the fence, man I have to say seems they are going the way of SonyES units that's my take on them. Your absolutely right only the top flagship units with Yamaha now day's are capable. The unit I have isn't a Advantage unit and there are setting that I want to just chunk the b****..Sounds good performs well. What are their engineers thinking man. The one I have came with a CD "manual" nothing on it. I asked other's these very same question about the settings and X over. Seems to be tripping even some of the old timers in here. If those dudes can't seem to find a solution or why Yamaha went this route with the software than Who would know Gene maybe?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yamaha has me on the fence, man I have to say seems they are going the way of SonyES units that's my take on them. Your absolutely right only the top flagship units with Yamaha now day's are capable. The unit I have isn't a Advantage unit and there are setting that I want to just chunk the b****..Sounds good performs well. What are their engineers thinking man. The one I have came with a CD "manual" nothing on it. I asked other's these very same question about the settings and X over. Seems to be tripping even some of the old timers in here. If those dudes can't seem to find a solution or why Yamaha went this route with the software than Who would know Gene maybe?
It doesn't make sense - they have such a great legacy and the Japanese are known for being in great control of quality.
It may be that Yamaha is being very conservative in their evaluations, but if so, they need a dose of reality; that is a plan for failure. But Sony is a good example.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Just before I bought my last receiver, my Yamaha RX-V659, I bought a Sony AVR (Didn't have it for long enough top remember the model #) for about $400 on sale, and it was a disaster. In a small room running my SVS 7.1 setup, the amp went into protection at normal movie volume, and ran very hot. A replacement did the same thing, and I ended up selling the Sony to a friend for $200 with it being a "gift" if it died early. It ended up in his kid's room for a while, then it went into the garage. I didn't even look at Sony stuff for a long time, but a couple of months ago, I did look at Sony AVRs, but I ended up with the Yamaha TSR-7810. I hope Sony learned it's lesson. My old Sony ES CD "lazy susan" still works great.

The only thing I kept from my purchases that weekend was the Sony Subwoofer I still have that was mispriced at $49.99 for a 12" powered sub! It's not horrible actually, but it's soon going to be put on this PC

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis