speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Okay so my Webroot claims that I have an active infection. Have tried and tried to remove it. All to no avail. Called BB up and Geek Squad wants $150 to remove said infection. Thus, the infection is located in the Windows Photo.exe such and such. I also tried to remove that via CCleaner. Hate to lose all of my photos, but it may just be better to reload Windows, no? I do have my pics saved on a thumb drive, but I am worried it is also infected. Reloading Windows 10 would get rid of the said infection. So, how do I go about reloading Windows 10? It is not like it used to be when I had a hard copy of Windows. Really hate to spend $150 when I don't have to. But, something has got to give. Lastly, how do I know my thumb drive is infected as well? Any computer gurus care to offer me some good simple advice? I am not exactly computer savy here. Have a good friend that is, but he works 16-hour days and is working 7-days a week. Not to mention, he now lives 45 minutes away. Therefore, it looks like that I am on on my own. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Start by downloading (free) and running MalwareBytes.

You should be able to right click on your thumbdrive and choose "scan for viruses". I would do that for the entire C drive too.

You really should create a backup image of your computer and keep that file on an external HDD. If you get a virus, then simply re-image the entire HDD. It's a good idea to make a new image backup every 6 months or so. Just be sure you don't create an image that already has an infection. This also has you covered in the event of complete HDD failure, it happens.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Start by downloading (free) and running MalwareBytes.

You should be able to right click on your thumbdrive and choose "scan for viruses". I would do that for the entire C drive too.

You really should create a backup image of your computer and keep that file on an external HDD. If you get a virus, then simply re-image the entire HDD. It's a good idea to make a new image backup every 6 months or so. Just be sure you don't create an image that already has an infection. This also has you covered in the event of complete HDD failure, it happens.
Thanks Slip. I will worry about my thumb drive at a later date. Right now, Malware Bytes is running a full scan. There were (3) files that I had to quarantine. They have since been deleted. Decided to run a full scan this go around to see what is found. BTW, what does the Premium version offer that the free doesn't?

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Download the hirens boot CD
https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
The tools are 1st class for removal
Thanks Everett. But, the link lists so many. What do you recommend? I do not want to reload Windows 10 unless it is absolutely necessary. I do not burn CD's so much to learn on that. Reformatting my hard drive will certainly get rid of any and all viruses. Just hope that I can get around that w/o spending a small fortune.

Cheers,

Phil

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Thanks Slip. I will worry about my thumb drive at a later date. Right now, Malware Bytes is running a full scan. There were (3) files that I had to quarantine. They have since been deleted. Decided to run a full scan this go around to see what is found. BTW, what does the Premium version offer that the free doesn't?

Cheers,

Phil
Malware Premium gives active protection as opposed to damage control after the fact. Premium will scan, warn, and prevent you from downloading malware. It also does automatic scans (like on start up) and keeps its definitions up to date.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Full scan of my hard drive reveals no infections. So, the (3) files found in the initial scan is where my problem is. I did delete them, but the full report says it is quarantined. I guess this is b/c of the free version, no? In other words, to fully delete said problem files I will have to opt for the premium version? If so, would it be better to do so? Or, is the free version sufficient? It says I have 14-days to try it. So, it is not free after 14-days? Sorry, but I am like totally new to Malware Bytes. :)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
what about restart to earlier date?
That would be fine except I do not exactly know when I got said infection. It certainly would not hurt to try I suppose. Right now, the Malware Bytes seems to have helped a lot. Will look into your suggestion though Andy. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
That would be fine except I do not exactly know when I got said infection. It certainly would not hurt to try I suppose. Right now, the Malware Bytes seems to have helped a lot. Will look into your suggestion though Andy. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
Just do it, only say do it, few months back or early this year depending on the system how many months back it will do it at or manually enter the date in, usually that solved few of these, you know on my computer but that bug thing will still be on the computer and maybe enough time to get the pictures transferred and do a power wash clean it and restart it new again. There goes the passwords and all the sites you visited, I know bloody annoying isn't it.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just do it, only say do it, few months back or early this year depending on the system how many months back it will do it at or manually enter the date in, usually that solved few of these, you know on my computer but that bug thing will still be on the computer and maybe enough time to get the pictures transferred and do a power wash clean it and restart it new again. There goes the passwords and all the sites you visited, I know bloody annoying isn't it.
Andy believe it or not, but I can not find the restore function. Not exactly sure why? Evidently some changes have been made to my desktop w/o my approval. I am more than willing to try a different restore point, but have to find one first. Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Any ideas how you got this malware?
I am a creature of habit. That is, I visit the same websites for the most part. Have not had any issues until now. But, it looks like Maleware Bytes has got it taken care of. Very thankful for that.

Cheers,

Phil

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Andy believe it or not, but I can not find the restore function. Not exactly sure why? Evidently some changes have been made to my desktop w/o my approval. I am more than willing to try a different restore point, but have to find one first. Any ideas? :confused:

Cheers,

Phil
I don't use the windows 10. I googled for you and found this. Follow the instructions.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

1. Select the Start button, enter control panel, and then choose it from the list of results.
  2. Enter recovery in the Control Panel search box.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the most recent app, driver, or update on the list of results, and then select Scan for affected programs. You'll see list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Next > Finish. Or, if needed, select an earlier restore point before selecting Next > Finish.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I don't use the windows 10. I googled for you and found this. Follow the instructions.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

1. Select the Start button, enter control panel, and then choose it from the list of results.
  2. Enter recovery in the Control Panel search box.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the most recent app, driver, or update on the list of results, and then select Scan for affected programs. You'll see list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Next > Finish. Or, if needed, select an earlier restore point before selecting Next > Finish.
Thanks @andyblackcat as this does work. But, I am not doing a complete restore just yet. Maybe later today I will. Thanks once again for your help. I am also a firm believer in Malware Bytes! Also, thanks to @slipperybidness for that recommendation. :)

Cheers,

Phil

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Phil,
Have you run Webroot again to see if it detects anything? If Malware Bytes and Webroot both see your system as safe, you should be good to go.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,
Have you run Webroot again to see if it detects anything? If Malware Bytes and Webroot both see your system as safe, you should be good to go.
Yeah Joe, I have run on both Webroot and/or Malware Bytes. Everything is clear. Whatever it was Malware Bytes took care of it whereas Webroot did not. As such, I am now a firm believer in Malware Bytes. I would like to do a scan of my thumb drive-how exactly do I do that? If I connect it and it has a virus on it wouldn't that infect my desktop once again? Also, which drive do I select for the thumb drive? I know it is not C: my hard drive. Is it best just to throw my thumb drive away so not to re-infect my desktop? What would you do?

Cheers,

Phil

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Phil,
Only Malware Bytes "Premium" gives you the option to scan flash drives and other USB devices.

If you "mount" the flash drive without opening any files/folders, you can right click on it with your mouse (under My Computer) and select to scan it with Webroot. This should let you know if it is/isn't infected.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Phil,
Only Malware Bytes "Premium" gives you the option to scan flash drives and other USB devices.

If you "mount" the flash drive without opening any files/folders, you can right click on it with your mouse (under My Computer) and select to scan it with Webroot. This should let you know if it is/isn't infected.
I see. Will look into it later today. KY plays soon and it is laundry day here. Might even wait until tomorrow to run a scan. Thanks for the info! :)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis