Anthem str preamp n str power amp vs ps audio bhk preamp n bhk 250 power amp?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We know Bose is very good at it, PS Audio is too, in different category and higher end. Who else can you think of?
I think "high-end" companies have to sell everything around $4K and above because it's the "going rate". Kind of like those NFL quarterback contracts- it doesn't matter if they are worth it, it's the going rate. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Check this link out. Also, Gene just posted a new video on Youtube talking about some of his favorite amps. He is currently using the Anthem STR combo for his setup and loves it.
Here is my formal review with measurements:

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Hi audioholic n gene hope you doing better on covi19. , I am alfredo from Puerto Rico I have a legacy focus se speakers I whant to put a good 2 ch audio quality for my music collection, I think about to brands , ps audio or anthem str separated, what you think in comparation on sound quality of Anthem str preamp n str power amp vs ps audio bhk preamp n bhk 250 power amp?
Algnr
Whatever advice @PENG dispenses on amps, I would take it. I don't know of a more technically savvy person on the AH when it comes to understanding amps. There are those who are just as good, but, nobody whups @PENG when it comes to amp specs.

My own experience here is limited but I can say that certain companies command a very fine profit margin for pretty ordinary gear. It isn't that the gear won't sound good or great. Its that you will likely pay quite a bit more than you need to for the pleasure. PS Audio falls in that category. I am not a "budget" person that says budget and cost should rule the day. At the same time I recognize that spending more than you should just takes money away from places where it might do you more good.

Oh, and that @gene fella can be pretty good too!

As always, YMMV and caveat caveat caveat. Buy what sounds good to you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, and that @gene fella can be pretty good too!

As always, YMMV and caveat caveat caveat. Buy what sounds good to you.
Thanks again for the kind words. I may have spent more time responding to posts and tried to be helpful as much as I could, but Gene really is practically the best and most knowledgeable person I have ever come across on AV forums. His audio product reviews with measurements are second to none. I wish he could respond to posts (I mean the good ones:) more often too, but I think we all know how busy he is running the business.

I read his reviews/measurements on that STR pairs and was very impressed with the results. I just think they are too costly, especially the preamp but I guess Gene has to have the best regardless of cost.:D

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks again for the kind words. I may have spent more time responding to posts and tried to be helpful as much as I could, but Gene really is practically the best and most knowledgeable person I have ever come across on AV forums. His audio product reviews with measurements are second to none. I wish he could respond to posts (I mean the good ones:) more often too, but I think we all know how busy he is running the business.

I read his reviews/measurements on that STR pairs and was very impressed with the results. I just think they are too costly, especially the preamp but I guess Gene has to have the best regardless of cost.:D
The cost to value ratio is always an interesting tradeoff. Not everything needs to be a great price performer to be a worthwhile product. Some stuff can just cost what it costs and that's fine. But in our little hobby there seem to be some pretty obvious examples of the logo being the most valuable part of the purchase.

For most of my life (a long one so far) I have always had McIntosh envy. I always told myself when I was younger than when I got older and all the bills subsided I would find a way to put some of those delicious blue meters in my audio world. I said the same about a Corvette. Both products have continued to accelerate away from me. A McIntosh amp these days is more expensive than ever. A Mc pre-amp is the same: absolutely unreasonably expensive. A base model Corvette may only be $60,000 but nobody buys a base model Corvette. Throw a few options on it and its a $100,000 car.

I'd love to have some of the cachet of a McIntosh setup. Just the amp/pre-amp. Just a few of those lovely blue meters. But the analytical side of me that gotten me this far without going broke just won't let me pay ridiculous prices just because I can. I wish there was a way to get there for a reasonable cost. So far, I don't know what that would be. I guess I will just be happy as a clam with what I've got.

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
I almost bought that Anthem amp based on gene's review..,then went onto Parasound Halo & JC ..which finally got edged by Bryston 4B cubed power amp, with its outstanding build quality, top notch measurement, compact size and 20 yr warranty!

I know I'm going to get into trouble with you guys ;-) , for buying a Bryston at that price(on a sale though)..,when I've been a D&M guy all along, but after wasting my year-end vacation ,troubleshooting multiple Marantz failures and dealing with post-warranty repairs, I wanted something troublefree for a long time thats backed by the longest manufacturer warranty directly.
I dont mind paying extra for that peace of mind and potential time savings...companies like Bryston,Parasound,Benchmark,SVS..I might be missing others..,do take care of the customers well and thats worth extra $$ , I think.

I did have a partner in crime , though ;-)

Awaiting Bryston for my 2 channel system - delayed now with everything going on.

L

LORDROOTMAN

Audiophyte
I have the anthem STR POWER AMP (demo unit) with different preamp Michi P5 sounds amazing

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis