Anthem str preamp n str power amp vs ps audio bhk preamp n bhk 250 power amp?

A

Algnr1636

Audioholic Intern
Hi audioholic n gene hope you doing better on covi19. , I am alfredo from Puerto Rico I have a legacy focus se speakers I whant to put a good 2 ch audio quality for my music collection, I think about to brands , ps audio or anthem str separated, what you think in comparation on sound quality of Anthem str preamp n str power amp vs ps audio bhk preamp n bhk 250 power amp?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi audioholic n gene hope you doing better on covi19. , I am alfredo from Puerto Rico I have a legacy focus se speakers I whant to put a good 2 ch audio quality for my music collection, I think about to brands , ps audio or anthem str separated, what you think in comparation on sound quality of Anthem str preamp n str power amp vs ps audio bhk preamp n bhk 250 power amp?

Check this link out. Also, Gene just posted a new video on Youtube talking about some of his favorite amps. He is currently using the Anthem STR combo for his setup and loves it.

A

Algnr1636

Audioholic Intern

Check this link out. Also, Gene just posted a new video on Youtube talking about some of his favorite amps. He is currently using the Anthem STR combo for his setup and loves it.
Thanks a lot. :)

A

Algnr1636

Audioholic Intern
I wouldn't buy anything from PSAudio, personally.
For what? You think is overpriced or sound quality isn’t that good ? What brand you recomend, the anthem str pre n amp is better and good price?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For what? You think is overpriced or sound quality isn’t that good ? What brand you recomend, the anthem str pre n amp is better and good price?
The owner promotes some goofy ideas that in my experience are false. They do help line his pockets tho...

Their products also tend to not measure much better than less expensive brands. As much as they want for their stuff they should have outstanding specs.

A

Algnr1636

Audioholic Intern
The owner promotes some goofy ideas that in my experience are false. They do help line his pockets tho...

Their products also tend to not measure much better than less expensive brands. As much as they want for their stuff they should have outstanding specs.
And what you think about the anthem str preamp and str power amp is a good choice ?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Thanks for the info what brands you recomended ? I not have any expirience
For just a two channel you would not have to spend $6,000 for a solid setup. Are you looking at sticking with the same brand for both amp and receiver? If it doesn't matter there are many different products out there to choose from.

You could get a couple Outlaw Mono's and pick up a receiver that has pre-outs. Lots of solid receivers on the market in the $1000 or less range. Check out brands like Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, etc..

If you feel like spending some money and want an all in one package, the NAD M10 is option. You should check that out. I've seen some pretty solid reviews of it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the info what brands you recomended ? I not have any expirience
For power amp at the $3,000 price point, nothing beats the Benchmark AHB2 in specs and measurements. If you need more power output than the STR You will need a pre-amp. The STR has build in DAC, AARC and other features you may not need. In my opinion, at such high price point, you may as well go separate all the way. Then you can choose a much better DAC (I mean in terms of specs, measurements and features only), and choose your own Room EQ. If you really need the power output of the STR's, you would have to buy two.

A

Algnr1636

Audioholic Intern
For power amp at the $3,000 price point, nothing beats the Benchmark AHB2 in specs and measurements. If you need more power output than the STR You will need a pre-amp. The STR has build in DAC, AARC and other features you may not need. In my opinion, at such high price point, you may as well go separate all the way. Then you can choose a much better DAC (I mean in terms of specs, measurements and features only), and choose your own Room EQ. If you really need the power output of the STR's, you would have to buy two.
I have a ps audio directstream dac I need a preamp and power amp , the benchmark AHB2 is a good option and the ps audio bhk250 , but the combination of the anthem str preamp n amp is a good option

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a ps audio directstream dac I need a preamp and power amp , the benchmark AHB2 is a good option and the ps audio bhk250 , but the combination of the anthem str preamp n amp is a good option
You seem to get attracted by those super high margin products, that both the PS Audio and STR preamp appear to be but at least the STR pairs have great audio specs. I have no idea how Anthem can justify their selling price for that preamp, but I do understand as long as there are people willing to pay for it, that's all there is to it then.:D I am just a practical minded person (who tend to put more emphasis on specs and measurements), at least that's what I think I am.. Other than that, you can't go wrong with the STR anyway. PS Audio direct stream dac is a different story, but obviously you like it so that's good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You seem to get attracted by those super high margin products, that both the PS Audio and STR preamp appear to be but at least the STR pairs have great audio specs. I have no idea how Anthem can justify their selling price for that preamp, but I do understand as long as there are people willing to pay for it, that's all there is to it then.:D I am just a practical minded person (who tend to put more emphasis on specs and measurements), at least that's what I think I am.. Other than that, you can't go wrong with the STR anyway. PS Audio direct stream dac is a different story, but obviously you like it so that's good.
Marketing Magic; more money = more sound quality. :D

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
We know Bose is very good at it, PS Audio is too, in different category and higher end. Who else can you think of?
Just look on Audiogon.com and you'll see thousands of overpriced and overrated audio components! Oh, I mean Great Deals! on audio components. haha!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis