Anthem MRX 740 vs MRX 1140 AV Receiver Bench Test Comparison!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I am replacing my Arcam AVR550 to an Anthem MRX740 or 1140. I got a 5.2.2 setup with B&W 700 series speakers & 2 Rel subwoofers. The Fronts will be powered by a Stereo Integrated through HT Bypass so only need the Internal avr amps for center, surrounds & heights.

The center channel is the Beefier B&W HTM71s2 & the surrounds are the B&W 707s2 bookshelves while the Height channels are the B&W M1s(satellite speakers). I wonder if the 1140 would be better for my setup then the 740? I don't need the extra channels but wonder if the toroidal transformer in the 1140 will make the difference in my setup?
I'm not Gene, but I just read his Anthem 740 and 1140 review. Considering your plans on using the AVR, I doubt if you'll hear any benefit from the 1140 over the 740.
The Anthem MRX740 and MRX1140 AV receivers have world class processing and internal preamplifiers. They are extremely low noise and have plenty of drive to work optimally for any home theater or audiophile amplifiers you’d like to use with them. One could easily make the argument for picking up one of these units instead of spending more on a dedicated Pre/Pro and just adding external amplification to better power more demanding low impedance speakers. In fact, I will make such an argument that the MRX740 is one of the best 11CH AV processors currently on the market and the MRX1140 for 15CH of processing. The MRX1140 has a slight advantage in a better power supply IF you’re using the internal amplifiers as well as dual independent subwoofer outputs and more channels of processing with two more channels of amplification.
To repeat what Gene said, "The Anthem MRX740 and MRX1140 AV receivers have world class processing and internal preamplifiers. They are extremely low noise and have plenty of drive to work optimally for any home theater or audiophile amplifiers you’d like to use with them."

You didn't mention what stereo integrated amp you plan on getting. What is it's power output and price? For 2-channel music listening, I strongly suggest that you use the Anthem MRX740 as a preamp, and an external amp such as one of these:
$579 gets you 180Wpc @ 2ohms, 250Wpc @ 4ohms, and 150Wpc @ 8ohms.
$749 gets you 450Wpc @ 2ohms, 500Wpc @ 4ohms, and 350Wpc @ 8ohms.

Yes, you read that right – both of these Hypex NCore amps are stable at 2 ohms impedance.

You won't sacrifice anything in performance or sound quality, and you just might save a lot of money.

Last edited:
T

Tintoy0711

Audiophyte
Thanks for the awesome review. I am planning of getting the MRX 740 to replace my 700’s which I’ve proudly and happily owned for a number of years. My reservation , tho , is the “no analog bypass” on any of the RCA inputs on the receiver . I have a great sounding (to my ears anyways ) outboard/ external DAC (it’s a Denafrips Pontus ii)that I would want to still be able to use for my music (2 channel ) listening . As good as the internal DAC of the Anthem may be, I do believe that a dedicated DAC for music can still offer more. Sonically , for home theater, especially with ARC, I know the Anthem will deliver the goods and more. But for 2 channel, I would want to still have that option to use my external DAC and enjoy its sound and character. My question is, if I don’t turn on ARC or use any DSP on the particular RCA input I will be plugging the external DAC into, would I retain my outboard DAC’s sound and character and not Anthem’s internal DAC given that the analogue signal coming from the Denafrips would again be digitalized and then processed again into analogue by Anthem ‘s DAC and given also that Anthem‘s support may have mentioned that their DAC is very transparent ? (Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not so sure if I’m following this right or understanding what transparent in audio means :). )
Again, I am very new at this and still trying to understand how things work. I do apologize if I’m sounding like an idiot or not making sense .
And again, thanks for the great contents you put out online and on YouTube .

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the awesome review. I am planning of getting the MRX 740 to replace my 700’s which I’ve proudly and happily owned for a number of years. My reservation , tho , is the “no analog bypass” on any of the RCA inputs on the receiver . I have a great sounding (to my ears anyways ) outboard/ external DAC (it’s a Denafrips Pontus ii)that I would want to still be able to use for my music (2 channel ) listening .
I hope Gene will chime in and respond to your questions. While waiting, I would like to offer my comments and hope you don't mind.

I understand the Denafrips Pontus ii DAC sounds great to your ears so it is a real thing to you under the condition you listened to it, but if you have not compared it to the MRX740's in a level matched blind listening tests then it doesn't mean it will actually sound better to you in an apple to apple AB comparison. I would bet 10:1 that if you do AB them following the proper comparison protocol they will both sound great, to the point you cannot score much better (if at all..) than 50/50. I have quite a few external DACs (probably up to 10 at one time), I like them all and they really all sound the same, even in single blind comparisons. Specs and measurements also suggest it isn't just because of my poor hearing ability. That said, since you already have the Pontus ii, it would be a pity that you cannot use it on the analog input of the MRX740 without the signal being converted twice and have to go through first the weak link of the MRX that is the ADC. You can also forget about sampling rate>96 kHz, let alone DSD. Not that it means much in terms of audible sound quality, but..

As good as the internal DAC of the Anthem may be, I do believe that a dedicated DAC for music can still offer more.
Lots of people believe the same, I used to as well, in fact still do to some extent and for different reasons. Specs, theory, and bench tests don't support such belief are based on facts though. Not trying to convince you, but I thought if you read more on technical articles and reviews on the objective side instead of relying on subjective reviews by others and your own, it may help you not getting too disappointed by the lack of analog direct feature.

My question is, if I don’t turn on ARC or use any DSP on the particular RCA input I will be plugging the external DAC into, would I retain my outboard DAC’s sound and character and not Anthem’s internal DAC given that the analogue signal coming from the Denafrips would again be digitalized and then processed again into analogue by Anthem ‘s DAC
Unfortunately the answer is still no (again hopefully Gene will confirm the same or otherwise), the signal will get routed through the MRX's ADC, DSP, DAC path. The only difference is, if you don't use AARC then the original signal won't be down sampled to 48 kHz but anything higher than 96 kHz will still get down sampled by the ADC, so forget about contents such as 24bit/192 kHz and above, and DSD as well. You can obvious still enjoy those, but they will get down sampled. I believe the older models such as you MRX700 might have the analog bypass feature, pretty sure the MRX-1120 has that, based on bench test result only though.

and given also that Anthem‘s support may have mentioned that their DAC is very transparent ? (Please correct me if I’m wrong. I’m not so sure if I’m following this right or understanding what transparent in audio means :). )
Transparent generally means output = input with negligible distortions of any kind, no sonic flavor..

To quote Anthem FAQ (the question is about amps but the answer applies to all of their components):

Do the amps have a warm sound or a bright sound?
None of our components are designed with a "sonic flavor" other than playing exactly what's in a recording. Unfortunately with pop CD mastering, pushing levels way into overload regardless of how much distortion this adds is all too common. Recordings of acoustic instruments with minimal or no processing during mastering sound more natural, therefore they are a much better test of how natural-sounding the playback equipment is.
Are they better suited for music or for movies?
Sound reproduction equipment doesn't know the difference between a music signal and a movie signal, or for that matter the musical score within a movie soundtrack. Accurate for one means accurate for the other.

jdubs79

jdubs79

Audioholic Intern
How much of a difference do you think there would be between getting the 1140 vs separates?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Difference in how the system sounds all else being the same.
Without room correction applied and in stereo, most likely not but possible. Higher end processors handle the object based formats better, but you're talking about $7k and up processors and most are pc based like Trinnov, DataSat, and Storm. No reason you can't use the Anthem as a processor only if you feel power is an issue and based on the latest measurements, it would be more than fine in 99% of setups.

Last edited:
A

ANTHONY12345

Audiophyte
I put the latest generation of Anthem AV receivers, namely the MRX 740 and MRX 1140 models through my bench tests in this report. The MRX 740 retails for $2,899 and has 11 channels of processing with 7 channels of amplification (140wpc x5, 60wpc x2) while the MRX 1140 retails for $4,000 and has 15 channels of processing and 11 channels of amplification (140wpc x 5, 60 wpc x 6). If you're looking for how the preouts are on these units, I've got you covered. I did a full barrage of power measurements and show the measurable differences between the two models. We discuss bass management, the best settings for optimal performance and the amplifier matrix function.

View attachment 54618
Read:
Anthem MRX 740 & 1140 AV Receiver Bench Test Results
Are those class d amps on the 740 enough to power two outdoor speakers loud enough to hear over people talking or will I need a separate amp for that? I'm running 5.1 only and using zone 2 for outdoor speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Difference in how the system sounds all else being the same.
There is no simple yes/no answer to your questions. "All else being same", if power output is included, then the "same" needs to be clarified. For example, if the power output required are the same, and that "same" means well below the AVR and separates power rated output limit, say 10 dB below their limits, then the system will most likely sound the same.

If the required vs rated output limits are close enough, then the "separate" power amp, assuming a well designed one, may have the upper hand because power amps typically have better voltage and current capability than the AVR power amps and will do better in handling dynamic peaks, and/or when the contents played often in frequency ranges where the speaker's impedance may dip too low for the amps.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Are those class d amps on the 740 enough to power two outdoor speakers loud enough to hear over people talking or will I need a separate amp for that? I'm running 5.1 only and using zone 2 for outdoor speakers.
I drive a pair of KEF Ventura 6 outdoor speakers (90dB sensitivity, 6ohm nominal) with a Bluesound POWERNODE (80wpc) and it is plenty loud at 30% volume for my patio/pool area. Even with 20+ people on the patio, the music is plenty loud -- any more and the neighbors would be unhappy!

A

ANTHONY12345

Audiophyte
I drive a pair of KEF Ventura 6 outdoor speakers (90dB sensitivity, 6ohm nominal) with a Bluesound POWERNODE (80wpc) and it is plenty loud at 30% volume for my patio/pool area. Even with 20+ people on the patio, the music is plenty loud -- any more and the neighbors would be unhappy!
Ok great thanks then I shouldn't be worried about that mrx740 thanks for the reply

X

xhattan

Audiophyte
Can the amps in the MRX 1140 be completely shut down to transform this AVR in a 100% pre amp, like the Denon x8500?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can the amps in the MRX 1140 be completely shut down to transform this AVR in a 100% pre amp, like the Denon x8500?
It does not say anything about that in their marketing info or in the manual so I would say no, there is no preamp mode. I don't think it would make much of a difference though in terms of audio performance.

P

Peter45

Audiophyte
Hi, compared to the previous generation (MRX 720 and MRX 1120), can you say that there have been considerable improvements? If so, which ones?.

I ask because I have read somewhere that the third generation MRX XX20 worsened compared to the previous XX10 and XX00. I was wondering if this had continued with the current XX40 range.

The truth is that in this review by Gene, the current MRX 740 and MRX 1140 they are highly valued. And I also read in other forums, that there had been a qualitative high from the previous generations to the current fourth generation MRX XX40.

Ultimately, the question is: is the MRX 740 better than the MRX 720? How much better?

PD: I am in the process of purchasing an AVR: Anthem MRX 740 or Arcam AVR21?

Thanks!

G

GalZohar

Enthusiast
How would you define "how much better"? Will you hear a difference from the differently measured noise/distortion? Highly doubtful.
The room EQ is also a newer version, not sure how much better it is, especially if you have only a single subwoofer and use a Umik-1 and REW to manually set the subwoofer delay, making the phase correction of the newer ARC not critical (especially with only 1 subwoofer supported on the 720/740). For dual subwoofers the automatic phase correction on the 1140 may save some annoying manual REW work (which you'll need to know how to do), but at this price point you might as well buy something with DLBC which is way more advanced. Even if it measures worse, the end result will probably be better.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi, compared to the previous generation (MRX 720 and MRX 1120), can you say that there have been considerable improvements? If so, which ones?.

I ask because I have read somewhere that the third generation MRX XX20 worsened compared to the previous XX10 and XX00. I was wondering if this had continued with the current XX40 range.

The truth is that in this review by Gene, the current MRX 740 and MRX 1140 they are highly valued. And I also read in other forums, that there had been a qualitative high from the previous generations to the current fourth generation MRX XX40.

Ultimately, the question is: is the MRX 740 better than the MRX 720? How much better?

PD: I am in the process of purchasing an AVR: Anthem MRX 740 or Arcam AVR21?

Thanks!
As GalZohar said, it is a matter of how you define "better". Specifically, the MRX740 is better in the DAC/preamp section, and it has a more up to date feature set than the MRX720 but would likely be buggier, because of the added complexity.

The AVR21 is better in things like Roon ready, better DAC chip, and RC, then it is clearly the "better" one as you can use DLBC (you have to pay for the license) and it helps even if you have only one subwoofer.

Last edited:
P

Peter45

Audiophyte
Well, to clarify a couple of things: the most current version of ARC Genesis is also backward compatible with the previous generation MRX XX20. So, that won't make a difference. And regarding the mic, the UMIK is not compatible with Anthem, only the original is compatible (this has been confirmed to me by Anthem itself).

How much better? Well yes, it's hard to answer. But well, I thought there were measurements of the MRX 720 just like Gene measured the MRX 740. I can't find any reviews where they compare to the previous generation, nor where they say if the MRX 740 improves on its predecessor.

The question was, because as I was telling you, I read that with the 720 they had worsened over the 710. And I was wondering if Anthem had followed that line and also worsened with the 740 (from Ge Gene's review it appears that No). The logical thing is that the updates will improve, better DAC, better SINAD, better materials, new features.... The truth is that the aesthetic change has been very big, the current 740 looks much nicer to me.

And regarding the Arcam AVR21 (or AVR20), I had my doubts as to whether it was better than the Anthem MRX 740. I think so, that it is a better device in terms of performance (I don't know about sound), I think it has 4 independent SW outputs, better streaming (Tidal Direct for example), you can see the covers, they are potentially similar, it has the DLBC option that must be very good, and Dirac... There I have my fu doubts, if Dirac is much better than ARC, since ARC is very good.The issue is sound quality. I haven't heard Arcam, but Anthem has, and it sounds great. That fame in cinema is deserved. I don't know if the Arcam AVR20 will sound the same or better in cinema than the MRX 740. I doubt it.If anyone has had or has been able to hear both, I will be happy to hear your opinion Thank you!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, to clarify a couple of things: the most current version of ARC Genesis is also backward compatible with the previous generation MRX XX20. So, that won't make a difference. And regarding the mic, the UMIK is not compatible with Anthem, only the original is compatible (this has been confirmed to me by Anthem itself).

How much better? Well yes, it's hard to answer. But well, I thought there were measurements of the MRX 720 just like Gene measured the MRX 740. I can't find any reviews where they compare to the previous generation, nor where they say if the MRX 740 improves on its predecessor.

The question was, because as I was telling you, I read that with the 720 they had worsened over the 710. And I was wondering if Anthem had followed that line and also worsened with the 740 (from Ge Gene's review it appears that No). The logical thing is that the updates will improve, better DAC, better SINAD, better materials, new features.... The truth is that the aesthetic change has been very big, the current 740 looks much nicer to me.

And regarding the Arcam AVR21 (or AVR20), I had my doubts as to whether it was better than the Anthem MRX 740. I think so, that it is a better device in terms of performance (I don't know about sound), I think it has 4 independent SW outputs, better streaming (Tidal Direct for example), you can see the covers, they are potentially similar, it has the DLBC option that must be very good, and Dirac... There I have my fu doubts, if Dirac is much better than ARC, since ARC is very good.The issue is sound quality. I haven't heard Arcam, but Anthem has, and it sounds great. That fame in cinema is deserved. I don't know if the Arcam AVR20 will sound the same or better in cinema than the MRX 740. I doubt it.If anyone has had or has been able to hear both, I will be happy to hear your opinion Thank you!
Where did you read about Anthem worsened the 720 over the 710? Was it credible source, and were there supporting info based on specs, measurements, or just talk, hearsay? Regardless, the 740 has much better specs and measurements.

ARCG is backward compatible so that may be a wash vs the 720 in terms of RC, but DLBC is much more effective, based on my own experience. I have never seen any REW measured graphs on Anthem's that look better than those on units that ran DL.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis