Anthem MRX 740 vs MRX 1140 AV Receiver Bench Test Comparison!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I put the latest generation of Anthem AV receivers, namely the MRX 740 and MRX 1140 models through my bench tests in this report. The MRX 740 retails for $2,899 and has 11 channels of processing with 7 channels of amplification (140wpc x5, 60wpc x2) while the MRX 1140 retails for $4,000 and has 15 channels of processing and 11 channels of amplification (140wpc x 5, 60 wpc x 6). If you're looking for how the preouts are on these units, I've got you covered. I did a full barrage of power measurements and show the measurable differences between the two models. We discuss bass management, the best settings for optimal performance and the amplifier matrix function.

MRX1140-thumb.jpg

Read:
Anthem MRX 740 & 1140 AV Receiver Bench Test Results

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Too bad about the lack of analog bypass. If it wasn't that, I would consider the MRX740. Now I may just bite the bullet for the AVM70, unless D+M and Y do something better soon. I am still a little hesitant on Anthem's when it comes to the much more sophisticated electronics like AVRs/AVPs, but may be they have matured enough now to do them right.:D I also prefer Audyssey, with the App but I am willing to give the latest ARC a try.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
I have an MRX-540 so it does not surprise me that the 740 and 1140 test well. I've not attempted to apply ARC yet since I am still waiting for other items to arrive before running thru the paces to optimize the soundstage in the room which is quite decent right now without tweaking anything.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As I've said before, manufacturers now have a measurement goal for their products- THD+N/SINAD.

First the Denon X8500 got the 0.0007% THD+N. Now Anthem got it to 0.0006%. Next someone else will try for 0.0005%. :D

The Anthem 1120 got a 97dB SINAD, X8500 got 103dB, now the new Anthem got 105dB.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Too bad about the lack of analog bypass. If it wasn't that, I would consider the MRX740. Now I may just bite the bullet for the AVM70, unless D+M and Y do something better soon. I am still a little hesitant on Anthem's when it comes to the much more sophisticated electronics like AVRs/AVPs, but may be they have matured enough now to do them right.:D I also prefer Audyssey, with the App but I am willing to give the latest ARC a try.
Have you been tempted by the Audyssey PC app yet?

T

tparm

Audioholic
@PENG you see that new beta update for the AVM/MRX and ARC…… it’s legit! My AVM 70 continues to please.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
When I picked up my AVM70 a few months ago, the dealer had me sit in their home theater room which was a 13.4 setup being driven by the 1140 + 2 Channel Amp. Granted the setup consisted of a complete focal Utopia Setup with just 2 Paradigm Defiance 12" subs. It sounded amazing, I asked what amps he was using to drive the speakers and wash shocked to find that they were the internal amps. I seriously debated selling my amps off and changing my order from the AVM70 to the 1140.

Glad to see Paradigm/Anthem is starting to make things better again, their initial entry to the AVR market was a bit rocky. Not to say that ARC Genesis is perfect (I am still playing around with it), but the user interface is quite good.

Nit Picking: Paradigm should invest an extra 10-20 dollars and make a decent remote, it is just sad for a product this good :eek::D:eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Great writeup! I'm very very interested in the 740

J

JonnyVee

Audiophyte
I’ve had my 1140 for just over a year (replaced a Denon 4400) and love it. Nice to see positive review.

I have two gripes… one minor and one major

The major gripe is DTS:X Pro. Still not implemented and its reference was even pulled from the 1140 webpage.

The minor gripe is the amp assignment which is not as flexible as I’d like. I’m running a 5.2.6 setup, and since ”back” speakers can not be assigned to “Heights 3“ , I’m forced to use an external amp while an internal amp goes unused. Seems like a miss for owners that want to run a 5 bed layer with 6 heights setup.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
@PENG you see that new beta update for the AVM/MRX and ARC…… it’s legit! My AVM 70 continues to please.
Haha, because of you, I am now planning on getting it for Christmas.:D Hopefully by then we will know for sure which DAC chip they end up using, not that it matters but I want to know. The Anthem ARC should be perfected too by then, if not yet. When I am ready, I would like to contact you for more info on the ARC regarding customization features.

G

GalZohar

Enthusiast
Were similar measurements made for the Denon receivers (especially the cheaper ones such as the x3700h) for comparison?

As many 8ohm speakers dip down to 4ohm in the bass region, shouldn't there be more empasis on the importance of 4ohm measurements?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What are you using now, isn't it the CX-A5200?
Yes but that's for the theater room this will be just to run a living room setup since there were ceiling speakers installed when I bought the house. It will be awhile it's not a right now purchase kind of thing that way I can see how they do out in the wild I figure since they went through there initial pains with the AVM 70 these should be a lot smoother though

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What are you using now, isn't it the CX-A5200?
I'm never getting rid of that Yammie I love that prepro it just works 100% and I love the phone app for it.

The only thing that could convince me to swap it would be the monoprice HTP-1 if they ever get them back and even then I'd keep the Yammie I wouldn't sell it

C

cinnamonandgravy

Audiophyte
great to hear about the preout performance, but no hdmi 2.1 support makes this a no-buy for me.

(dont want an hdmi 2.1 upgrade board and dont want to rely on eARC)

cmon anthem, give me multiple hdmi 2.1 inputs, 2 hdmi outputs, and if youre feeling fancy, add balanced outputs to the preout please.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm never getting rid of that Yammie I love that prepro it just works 100% and I love the phone app for it.

The only thing that could convince me to swap it would be the monoprice HTP-1 if they ever get them back and even then I'd keep the Yammie I wouldn't sell it
I know it feels like the end of the world lately, but I don’t have any urges to replace my CX-A5100 either since it works 100% of the time and sounds just as awesome as anything with a THD+N of 0.0005%. :D

Even if Bose comes out with an AVP with a THD+N of 0.0001%, I’m not buying it. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know it feels like the end of the world lately, but I don’t have any urges to replace my CX-A5100 either since it works 100% of the time and sounds just as awesome as anything with a THD+N of 0.0005%. :D

Even if Bose comes out with an AVP with a THD+N of 0.0001%, I’m not buying it. :D
LOL a Bose AVP....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
LOL a Bose AVP....
It would be the size of one of there cubes and be able to power 18 2 ohm giant towers. Of course there would be no specs but the psychoacoustics and spatial imaging due to the internal proprietary Bose technology with cabling and amp technology would be unprecedented :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It would be the size of one of there cubes and be able to power 18 2 ohm giant towers. Of course there would be no specs but the psychoacoustics and spatial imaging due to the internal proprietary Bose technology with cabling and amp technology would be unprecedented :D
Well I wouldn't expect even a Bose AVP to power anything without amps :) Altho I suppose the powered bass module might change that :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis