Anthem MRX 520 shutdown issue

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
Hi

I have an Anthem MRX520 which has developed a shut off issue. It seems to turn on fine but shuts itself off automatically after random time periods, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 2 minutes. There seems to be no particular pattern with these shut off time periods, although I have noticed that if I keep the unit switched off for a long time, the next time that I turn it on, it seems to stay on for longer. Note that this issue occurs even with all the speaker cables and the input cables disconnected. That is, even when it is simply connected to the mains without any input or output. So this rules out the option where the problem can occur from a faulty input or shorted output.

I wrote to Anthem dealers in Europe. One of them told me to reset it to factory settings which of course, I have done already. Needless to say that didn't help.

Does any of you have any clue about what's wrong with my MRX520? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi

I have an Anthem MRX520 which has developed a shut off issue. It seems to turn on fine but shuts itself off automatically after random time periods, sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 2 minutes. There seems to be no particular pattern with these shut off time periods, although I have noticed that if I keep the unit switched off for a long time, the next time that I turn it on, it seems to stay on for longer. Note that this issue occurs even with all the speaker cables and the input cables disconnected. That is, even when it is simply connected to the mains without any input or output. So this rules out the option where the problem can occur from a faulty input or shorted output.

I wrote to Anthem dealers in Europe. One of them told me to reset it to factory settings which of course, I have done already. Needless to say that didn't help.

Does any of you have any clue about what's wrong with my MRX520? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul.
Unfortunately it has developed a serious fault. It cold be just about anything. But some component is drawing too much current. Likely contenders are a power transistor or power supply regulator, but there are many others.

The unit needs to be sent in for service. Your other option is recycling and replacement. The problem with gear these days, is it is often very difficult and therefore costly to service. So you need to get hold of Anthem and ask how to get it serviced and what their service and charging policies are.

Where are you located?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi

Thanks
Paul.
Did you have HDMI control, and/or ARC turned on? If yes, then as part of troubleshooting, you should turn them all off and see what happens. If your long distance is free, then it may be better to call Anthem's service department directly, or at least email them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If your long distance is free, then it may be better to call Anthem's service department directly, or at least email them.
I assume you mean Anthem's service department in Canada?
Or have they relocated?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I assume you mean Anthem's service department in Canada?
Or have they relocated?
Yes, they are part of Paradigm. However I suspect the OP is in Europe and wold imagine they have a service center there. It really is not possible to ship stuff between continents now. So unless he can use ground transport of the unit to a service center he is of luck.

One of the things that absolutely needs to happen coming out of this crisis is that nothing should get certification without the publication of a full and comprehensive service manual and detailed circuits. It is nonsense to think people will copy and build your product. If you don't want people to see your work, then don't build it and you should not be allowed to. This is very important for customer service, reduction of wasteful recycling and giving a living back to independent repair shops in our communities.

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies guys.

@TLS Guy , yes, I'm n Europe, Luxembourg to be precise. I contacted the Anthem authorized dealers both in Germany and France. The German dealer is called paradigm-audio.de so I guess they are "closer" to anthem canada in supply-chain (no idea). Anyway, so they got back to me asking for the SN of the device and after that they seem to have vanished. I'll contact them again next week. The other guy from France told me to keep the receiver plugged off for 24 hours. I have complied but not sure what purpose that will serve.

@PENG , I also emailed the technical support at anthemav.com by filling out the online form. I guess that goes directly to guys at anthem canada? No response though.

Strange that such an expensive piece of gear should be backed up with so little support.

Thanks and stay safe

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One possible reason for no fast reply from Anthem is that bloody virus. Possibly, their offices are temporarily closed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

One possible reason for no fast reply from Anthem is that bloody virus. Possibly, their offices are temporarily closed.
I fear you are correct about that. I suspect that not only offices but service and warranty centers are also closed now, and likely to be for some time.

OP the reason to leave it unplugged for 24 hours is to let all the caps discharge. If your reset did not work it is a long shot. If you unplug it, and press the on off button 30 to 40 times that also helps discharge the caps.

I suspect however the OP needs to put that unit in a closet for the duration of this crisis. If he wants to use his system, then he should consider buying a working older receiver on eBay.

I do keep an older pre/pro on hand for just these type of situations.

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
@TLS Guy , I did press that power button a few times (not 30 times though) with the mains disconnected. Maybe I should do that some more. Right now, I have it stashed in my cellar and am using my old but trusty MRX500. It has served me for many years and I can't help feeling the MRX500 is much better built and rugged than the 520.

@PENG I forgot to mention, I think the problem started when I changed some ARC setting on my TV. It was some display resolution setting and the think switched off shortly afterwards. I can't be sure though.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy , I did press that power button a few times (not 30 times though) with the mains disconnected. Maybe I should do that some more. Right now, I have it stashed in my cellar and am using my old but trusty MRX500. It has served me for many years and I can't help feeling the MRX500 is much better built and rugged than the 520.

@PENG I forgot to mention, I think the problem started when I changed some ARC setting on my TV. It was some display resolution setting and the think switched off shortly afterwards. I can't be sure though.
In that case we need you to affirm that there are no cables other then the power cable plugged into the unit. Also make sure CEC is switched to off.

This is the message on he Anthem website. [During the unprecedented impact of COVID-19 we have reduced both staff and hours of operation. Because of this, all calls may not be answered. For all technical support related inquires we encourage you to email support@anthemav.com. Please expect a slightly longer response time than usual. Thank you for your understanding during this time. ]

Pretty much all this electronic gear was better built years back. There is too many added features without the appropriate price increases, especially in the receiver market, which is now in a massive race to the bottom.

highfigh

highfigh

If the power switch is mechanical, I would be very surprised because those don't work for remote control applications, although some manufacturers call the state 'standby' when their mechanical switch is ON and the power is off. Since most receivers and AVRs use relays for protection, your best method would be to unplug the power and leave the Anthem off, as TLS wrote.

Since I haven't seen anything about them, what speakers are you using?

If it stays on when the speakers are disconnected, see if you can change the ARC setting.

Also, check the line voltage, if you can.

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
@TLS Guy , @highfigh I have tried that too. Changed the power source to another socket across the room with nothing attached (neither input nor output). Initially it powered off after 20 minutes but later realized that was the auto power off time on no signal. So increased the power off time to 2 hours and switched it on again. It shut itself off after about 15 mins. The next time after 5 mins, the next time almost immediately etc.

I will try again this weekend with CEC turned off but I wonder if that’s not off by default. Since I did a factory reset already.

I have a pair of Jamo C97s as fronts C90 as center and a pair of wharfedale 220s as surrounds. The MRX500 drives them effortlessly.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I forgot to mention, I think the problem started when I changed some ARC setting on my TV. It was some display resolution setting and the think switched off shortly afterwards. I can't be sure though.
Just to be clear, when I asked you to turn off HDMI control and ARC, I meant Audio Return Channel, not the Anthem Room Correction. That's why when I referred to Anthem Room Correction I usually say AARC, so people won't be confused it with ARC (audio return channel) or other Auto Room Correction. Anthem properly don't mind people getting confused so they get free advertisement.:D

ARC (audio return channel), and anything related to HDMI control could occasionally turn your device (s) especially the AVR on/off. In my experience thought it seemed to mainly turn things on, but not off though I might have missed the "off" incidence. This may not be your issue, I suggested it (ARC) being a possibility only because you said it would do it even without any inputs and outputs connected.

For the MRX products, it may be sufficient to turn off CEC to avoid the device turning itself on/off for no apparent reason.

1587144668667.png

highfigh

highfigh

@TLS Guy , @highfigh I have tried that too. Changed the power source to another socket across the room with nothing attached (neither input nor output). Initially it powered off after 20 minutes but later realized that was the auto power off time on no signal. So increased the power off time to 2 hours and switched it on again. It shut itself off after about 15 mins. The next time after 5 mins, the next time almost immediately etc.

I will try again this weekend with CEC turned off but I wonder if that’s not off by default. Since I did a factory reset already.

I have a pair of Jamo C97s as fronts C90 as center and a pair of wharfedale 220s as surrounds. The MRX500 drives them effortlessly.
If it shuts off with no speaker wires connected after it has been set with no HDMI control or anything that could affect the power state, I would guess that it has a power supply or power amp issue.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well I can't get full specs on MRX 500. It is rated 100 Watts into 8 ohm. Your 520 is 100 watts into 8 ohm, and 130 into 6 ohm. So obviously it is starting to be current limited. Your C97s are rated at 6 ohm, but they are in effect no more then 4 ohm and have adverse phase angles.

Of note the impedance is 4 ohms and below in the really power hungry region. The phase angle is strongly negative 70 to 100 Hz. So that type of picture is likely to produce heating in output devices. So may be your new receiver is not as robust as your old one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck on resolving your issue soon! Hopefully you have a backup!

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
@TLS Guy , thanks for the explanation! Gee, I never realised the C97s measure so bad. The ARC measurements did show me that they didn't have a very flat response through the frequency range. But I was able to take care of it more or less by applying one of the ARC curves. In any case, they don't sound that good even to my untrained ears. Have been looking to change them but it's difficult to find decent stuff here in Europe for a reasonable budget. Moreover, I got the C97s because as per SWMBO, they were the only ones that looked acceptable with the furniture in our living room. I'm afraid I don't quite understand what the impedance chart you attached implies, but something doesn't look right about them :oops:

@lovinthehd , thanks, I hope so too. I have my old MRX500 as a backup which I had almost sold out after I got the MRX520 but then the confinement happened and the guy never came to pick it up. It had been lying in the cellar, and thankfully so!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy , thanks for the explanation! Gee, I never realised the C97s measure so bad. The ARC measurements did show me that they didn't have a very flat response through the frequency range. But I was able to take care of it more or less by applying one of the ARC curves. In any case, they don't sound that good even to my untrained ears. Have been looking to change them but it's difficult to find decent stuff here in Europe for a reasonable budget. Moreover, I got the C97s because as per SWMBO, they were the only ones that looked acceptable with the furniture in our living room. I'm afraid I don't quite understand what the impedance chart you attached implies, but something doesn't look right about them :oops:

@lovinthehd , thanks, I hope so too. I have my old MRX500 as a backup which I had almost sold out after I got the MRX520 but then the confinement happened and the guy never came to pick it up. It had been lying in the cellar, and thankfully so!
They don't measure badly. That is not the frequency response, but the impedance and phase angle curves. The FR I have seen of your speakers is actually pretty good.

The problem is that we seem to be seeing a crop of receivers, that can not drive a great many speakers. I strongly recommend that receivers or amps for that matter that do not provide a four ohm rating in their specs be avoided. You can see from the impedance curve, which is not atypical at all, that a speaker manufacturer can claim a speaker to be pretty much any impedance they want. What we should demand is a minimum impedance in the spec of a speaker, which is much more indicative of the true state of affairs.

In other posts, I have pointed out that pretty much any speaker you purchase that is not a small bookshelf will be 4 ohms or less. If you buy speakers with two or more woofers, and especially one that is three way, it likely will have an impedance curve similar to yours. Now your receiver states that it is compatible with 4 ohm loads and above, but it does not quote a performance spec, at four ohms. The table just says N/A for that model for 4 ohm, which is not good enough.

I see your unit does have pre outs, so when your unit is repaired you should seriously consider, external power amplification for the front three speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

They don't measure badly. That is not the frequency response, but the impedance and phase angle curves. The FR I have seen of your speakers is actually pretty good.

The problem is that we seem to be seeing a crop of receivers, that can not drive a great many speakers. I strongly recommend that receivers or amps for that matter that do not provide a four ohm rating in their specs be avoided. You can see from the impedance curve, which is not atypical at all, that a speaker manufacturer can claim a speaker to be pretty much any impedance they want. What we should demand is a minimum impedance in the spec of a speaker, which is much more indicative of the true state of affairs.

In other posts, I have pointed out that pretty much any speaker you purchase that is not a small bookshelf will be 4 ohms or less. If you buy speakers with two or more woofers, and especially one that is three way, it likely will have an impedance curve similar to yours. Now your receiver states that it is compatible with 4 ohm loads and above, but it does not quote a performance spec, at four ohms. The table just says N/A for that model for 4 ohm, which is not good enough.

I see your unit does have pre outs, so when your unit is repaired you should seriously consider, external power amplification for the front three speakers.
This is one of the reasons I have said and posted that the manufacturers should offer the front end of AVRs along with separate power amps that handle the speaker load. If we were to count the threads here and on other forums, it's likely that the questions "Why does my AVR shut off?" and "Why does my AVR sound bad?" would be #1 and #2.

As you may remember, you sent a crossover design to me when I designed my speakers and again, thank you. Also, as you just posted, the impedance is in the 4 Ohm range, but that didn't seem to matter to the Denon AVR I was using- it never shut off and the sound from the system was actually very good. I replaced the Denon with Parasound equipment because I wanted to play my vinyl and, while the arguments raged about whether amplifiers sound different or if their power should be rated fully with all channels driven vs 2 or 3 , I noticed that this sounded better than the Denon and posted same. This amp has never shut down, run hot or had a single issue of any kind. OTOH, the spec sheet shows that it will handle 2 Ohms without problems. THAT'S what I want in an AVR, not "It's not as good, but it's OK" at the low, low price of $2500.

They could do this, but WAF is rampant and locating a power amp in a different location from the preamp isn't always easy/practical/possible. In the meantime, we have to pick our battles/choose our poison.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis