S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
Looking for main rail caps. 15000 uf 80 v 85c. I would like to upgrade them also. Does anyone here repair amps and know where to get these caps?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking for main rail caps. 15000 uf 80 v 85c. I would like to upgrade them also. Does anyone here repair amps and know where to get these caps?
Why do you want to replace them? Do you think they are defective in some way?

Mouser electronics and Digi-Key electronics come to mind off the top of my head.

If the unit is functioning normally and there is no bulging or leakage of the caps, my advice is to leave it alone.

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
The tops are bulging. I have been looking at both those sites. I'm not sure what ones to get. Could I get a little help on that part.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The tops are bulging. I have been looking at both those sites. I'm not sure what ones to get. Could I get a little help on that part.
Here you go. That did not take long. Can you do this, and do you have the equipment? You will need a de-soldering iron, soldering iron and multicore solder, and know how to use them. You have to do this safely with the voltages involved.

By the way, I'm not serving it, the stupid thing weighs 61 lb. It would kill be as soon as it was dumped at my front door. Amps should be one or two channel and no more. It is far more sensible to buy two channel pro amps and mount them neatly in a 19" rack. The only thing dumber is a receiver.

Last edited:
S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
I have both the tools u have talked about and im used to soldering pcm boards for work. Never heard of multicore solder. I have checked all the solder joints out they look basic and easy to do lots of room and they just put big drops of solder. I would like to upgrade some of the other caps also. . That part it linked is not the correct cap. These caps were soldered to the bored not screwed.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have both the tools u have talked about and im used to soldering pcm boards for work. Never heard of multicore solder. I have checked all the solder joints out they look basic and easy to do lots of room and they just put big drops of solder. I would like to upgrade some of the other caps also. .
You have, you just did not know you were using it. The electronic solders have the resin flux cores, so you don't have to apply them. They just flow with the solder.

I would not do more service than you have to. Just replace the bulging caps and call it good.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have both the tools u have talked about and im used to soldering pcm boards for work. Never heard of multicore solder. I have checked all the solder joints out they look basic and easy to do lots of room and they just put big drops of solder. I would like to upgrade some of the other caps also. . That part it linked is not the correct cap. These caps were soldered to the bored not screwed.
Those caps should be easy enough to replace if you have some experience in desoldering/soldering. You don't need to use the exact same part as long as the specs are the same or better.

I dealt with a similar question before and I would suggest you read the following posts/thread as there seem to have some confusion on the specs of the caps for that particular model:

Anthem MCA50 - Capacitor Failure | Audioholics Home Theater Forums

S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
The problem is I can't find any caps with 15000 uf 80v or 100v or 18000 80v or 100v with the correct legs. These caps have 2 solder legs that I have. If anyone knew what ones to buy and from where I'm open.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The problem is I can't find any caps with 15000 uf 80v or 100v or 18000 80v or 100v with the correct legs. These caps have 2 solder legs that I have. If anyone knew what ones to buy and from where I'm open.
I have told you where to look. You did not post pictures of the caps. Anyhow the sites I mention have every conceivable style of cap of those values you can think of.

Now go to those sites and do your home work. I am not your nanny.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you check Mouser as TLSG suggested?
15000 uF 80 VDC Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors – Mouser Canada

Anthem appears to have more than one version of the MCA50 (if you read the link I posted) and I have to wonder if you also have the 15,000 uf instead of the 8,200 uf ones Anthem website shows, then how many are there, 5, or 10? Pictures would help others to help you search for compatible ones.

highfigh

highfigh

How old is it? Bulging shouldn't happen before decades have passed or excessive voltage have hit them.

Last edited:
S

ssmokeyy

Junior Audioholic
2003 model year. I'm heading to the store to get the last tool needed to get the board removed from the amp. After that I will remove one of the caps and take pictures and specs the final specs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis