Anthem AVM 90 15.4CH Processor Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The AVM 90 8K is the first worthy successor to Anthem's D2v. Objectively and subjectively it's Anthem’s best-sounding preamp processor—EVER. If you’re in the market for the ultimate audio experience in a processor supporting up to 15.4 channels, four independent subwoofer outputs, ARC room correction at 192kHz, and built for modern streaming, then read on to see why the AVM 90 8K may just be the processor you’re looking for.

This thread will also feature a future Youtube video coverage of the Anthem AVM 90 including set up, calibration and listening test results.

avm90-hero.jpg

Read: Anthem AVM 90 Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Anthem AVM 90 Review Part I: AVM 90 Crushes AVM 60:

Anthem AVM 90 Youtube Review Part II: Measurements & Listening Tests

N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Great review Theo! Thanks Audioholics. For me, I'm so accustomed to the "it just works" I get with Denon and Marantz with regard to HDMI, CEC, Airplay etc that I am hesitant to go after better sound without bulletproof functionality. I HATE bugs which is why I am being extremely cautions about a possible NAD M33 purchase. (I'm downsizing to 2 ch audio and forgoing the "theater". But at these prices, maybe going AVR for possible upgradability is the better buy knowing both Anthem and Marantz now produce nearly equal performance.) Thanks again Theo!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Great review Theo! Thanks Audioholics. For me, I'm so accustomed to the "it just works" I get with Denon and Marantz with regard to HDMI, CEC, Airplay etc that I am hesitant to go after better sound without bulletproof functionality. I HATE bugs which is why I am being extremely cautions about a possible NAD M33 purchase. (I'm downsizing to 2 ch audio and forgoing the "theater". But at these prices, maybe going AVR for possible upgradability is the better buy knowing both Anthem and Marantz now produce nearly equal performance.) Thanks again Theo!
It is amazing their results are so close to each other's. AVM90 has better parts, AV10 might have a little better implementation, end results practically equal.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I still can not get over the somewhat long clumsy roll out of the AVM70/90 fraught with unnecessary bugs and dropped promises. I was waiting to upgrade from my Denon A110 to the AVM 90. I waited and waited and waited and…. Eventually I decided to skip the interim purchase and just go with the Trinnov instead. I know Anthem is a relatively small company but learning by all the mistakes and dropped promises still irritates me.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it’s hilarious how some people say that a newer model AVP sounds better than the previous model, especially their “best sounding”. As if the difference in measurement is audible or significant.

or are they saying that the insignificant differences in measurement don’t translate to actual sound quality? Like the measurements don’t matter?

D

dolynick

Audioholic
I think it’s hilarious how some people say that a newer model AVP sounds better than the previous model, especially their “best sounding”. As if the difference in measurement is audible or significant.

or are they saying that the insignificant differences in measurement don’t translate to actual sound quality? Like the measurements don’t matter?
I don't know about that... I noticed an improvement between the step-down DAC in the MRX 540 compared to the AVM 50v. The AVM 70 and 90 DACs are even better. I'm not sure which DAC was in the 60, but given the ASR measurements, it may not have been their best AVP result in the product generations either. I don't think it's an unreasonable observation in this case.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know about that... I noticed an improvement between the step-down DAC in the MRX 540 compared to the AVM 50v. The AVM 70 and 90 DACs are even better. I'm not sure which DAC was in the 60, but given the ASR measurements, it may not have been their best AVP result in the product generations either. I don't think it's an unreasonable observation in this case.
You don’t know about it being hilarious?:D

If you believe that every DAC sounds differently even though their THD+N/SNR measurements are all superb, then you would think every AVP/AVR sounds differently.

Like I said, some people believe that the excellent THD/SNR measurements don’t mean anything because they believe certain AVP sound better regardless of measurements. Like how some people believe that all AVP sound better than all AVR even though some AVR (like some Denon) have better measurements than a lot of AVP.

But we all have different opinions. So what’s hilarious to me isn’t funny at all to some people. :D

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Well obviously measurements matter, as otherwise someone cold produce an absolute piece junk. However, I agree with you that these DAC differences are not going to be audible most likely

AVPs are required in more complex pro type installations.

One thing that should not be happening is lack of provision for rack mounting. Any AVP should absolutely have a rack kit available. I would not like an AVP that I could not bolt to a 19" rack. To me that is part of the basics.

I really don't want a heavy unit with a bunch of amps I will never use. I want a lighter rack mounted unit that has lots of facility and can drive amps that will drive my system to concert levels.

My Quad current dumping amps are here to stay. No receiver amps can compete with those. Not even close.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
You don’t know about it being hilarious?:D

If you believe that every DAC sounds differently even though their THD+N/SNR measurements are all superb, then you would think every AVP/AVR sounds differently.

Like I said, some people believe that the excellent THD/SNR measurements don’t mean anything because they believe certain AVP sound better regardless of measurements. Like how some people believe that all AVP sound better than all AVR even though some AVR (like some Denon) have better measurements than a lot of AVP.

But we all have different opinions. So what’s hilarious to me isn’t funny at all to some people. :D
I believe that multigenerational leaps such as from the D2v to current gen probably are audible. That might not be the case going forward as we're likely at a plateau on the audible side these days but we're talking 15+ years of DAC evolution there. As for the AVM 60, its AKM 4458 might not be as big a leap in evolution on the technology side, but if the ASR measurements are representative of all AVM 60s, it only came in at 91 db vs the 102 measured here.

I'm just saying that, in this case with these comparisons, I don't think it's a stretch to think it might be audible.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe that multigenerational leaps such as from the D2v to current gen probably are audible. That might not be the case going forward as we're likely at a plateau on the audible side these days but we're talking 15+ years of DAC evolution there. As for the AVM 60, its AKM 4438 might not be as big a leap in evolution on the technology side, but if the ASR measurements are representative of all AVM 60s, it only came in at 91 db vs the 102 measured here.

I'm just saying that, in this case with these comparisons, I don't think it's a stretch to think it might be audible.
AVM 60: SINAD 90dB, 0.0029% THD+N.
AVM 90: SINAD 101 dB, 0.00079% THD+N
Marantz AV 10: SINAD 107dB, 0.00042% THD+N

Denon X8500 AVR RECEIVER: SINAD 102dB, 0.00078% THD+N (case where an AVR Receiver with 13 channels of amps inside has better measurements than a $7500 AVP Processor with no amps inside)

And you believe that you can hear THD+N of 0.0029%?

When most speakers have THD of > 1% 20Hz-20kHz. And playing music at 75-85dB?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well obviously measurements matter, as otherwise someone cold produce an absolute piece junk. However, I agree with you that these DAC differences are not going to be audible most likely

AVPs are required in more complex pro type installations.

One thing that should not be happening is lack of provision for rack mounting. Any AVP should absolutely have a rack kit available. I would not like an AVP that I could not bolt to a 19" rack. To me that is part of the basics.

I really don't want a heavy unit with a bunch of amps I will never use. I want a lighter rack mounted unit that has lots of facility and can drive amps that will drive my system to concert levels.

My Quad current dumping amps are here to stay. No receiver amps can compete with those. Not even close.
Yeah, I’ve been using dedicated processors (AVP’s) most of my life including my current system.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
"The AVM 90 sports significant upgrades to its internal audio circuitry. The differences are both measurable and audible. The level of audibility depends on your speakers and the rest of your components." The old resolving system bs? So we just have Theo's word for this audibility? How about testing Theo?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"The AVM 90 sports significant upgrades to its internal audio circuitry. The differences are both measurable and audible. The level of audibility depends on your speakers and the rest of your components." The old resolving system bs? So we just have Theo's word for this audibility? How about testing Theo?
Maybe Anthem and other companies he does reviews for expect him to write these things.

If I were Anthem, I would be pissed if I saw Theo writing, “Although the AVM 90 measures great, I doubt you will hear any improvement over the Denon X3800 AVR which has a THD+N of 0.001%. Also, the Denon X8500 actually has better measurements than the AVM 90 that costs a lot more”. :D

Maybe his hands are “tied” being a reviewer for these companies.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
We did that. Did A/B Testing with the AVM 60 and AVM 90 level matched with a little bear XLR switcher. Detailed the process in the video review. Participants were not aware which was 60 or 90 and all preferred the 90 and described the differences in the same manner. So yes, measurable and audible.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
in case you missed it, Theo published two videos I linked up on this thread where he talked about his listening tests that were conducted blind between the AVM 60 and 90....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ju
We did that. Did A/B Testing with the AVM 60 and AVM 90 level matched with a little bear XLR switcher. Detailed the process in the video review. Participants were not aware which was 60 or 90 and all preferred the 90 and described the differences in the same manner. So yes, measurable and audible.
So how does that unit match levels? Or what was done particularly outside of it?

ps Let alone it being only compared to the other Anthem....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
in case you missed it, Theo published two videos I linked up on this thread where he talked about his listening tests that were conducted blind between the AVM 60 and 90....
Not much of a video guy, prefer to read and that phrase I copied stopped me....it seems a bit ridiculous.

TheoN

TheoN

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Maybe Anthem and other companies he does reviews for expect him to write these things.

If I were Anthem, I would be pissed if I saw Theo writing, “Although the AVM 90 measures great, I doubt you will hear any improvement over the Denon X3800 AVR which has a THD+N of 0.001%. Also, the Denon X8500 actually has better measurements than the AVM 90 that costs a lot more”. :D

Denon makes very fine gear and as I’m sure everybody knows I have reviewed here and owned both the 8500H and 8500HA. I’m unclear by the inference you are making that we are paid by the manufacturers as that’s flat out false.
I think Gene did an exceptional job disabusing any such falsehoods in his YouTube post and I don’t think they have any place with such comments no matter how lighthearted their intention.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic

Cynicism that his words are not genuine would presume he has an impure profit motive rather than making a living validly reviewing products with valid measurements. I find him agreeable, smart and knowledgeable. Audioholics has a reputation as serving as a valuable liaison between consumers and the industry. There is a balance to be mended. I believe Gene has done a good job with that balance.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis