Anthem 1140 or Denon A1H

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I've already packed up the Denon for the trade in collection. I woke up and realized I couldn't be bothered with all the rewiring lol

I'm in a 5x3m ground floor apartment, at -35db my phone sound meter app can hit 70-75db in dialogue scenes. The imax dts-x version of Bad Boys is peaking at 90db at that volume. Plus I almost definitely won't be going higher than 7.1.4 due to space (although front wides could work and maybe I just buy a cheap used pair like my surround and back speakers).

With only 7.1.4 on the A1h would there be much advantage to bi amping the fronts?
Why do you think there's an advantage to bi-amping the fronts?

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
There is no debate about this. The Denon A1H is currently the best AVR on the market in every measurable category. I love Anthem but the amp section of the 1140 is NO match for the A1H. The only way you can better the performance of the A1H is to go separates. Personally, I prefer Audyssey PC w separate mic calibration kit over what I've been experiencing with Dirac. Anthem ARC is really good for ease of use and out of box good calibration with little fuss but it's not as powerful or configurable as Dirac of Audyssey.
Thank you! The A1H arrives tomorrow.

I actually had a good day of listening to music on the Anthem and was feeling content with how it sounded. Then in the evening when I switched to movies all my DV files were playing in HDR, even after I'd replaced the cable that played DV 100% of the time on the 6500 to one rated 8k/2.1. I had to power off/on to get DV back on my Nvidia Shield andthat really reassured me I'm doing the right thing in going to the A1H

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Great
Thank you! The A1H arrives tomorrow.

I actually had a good day of listening to music on the Anthem and was feeling content with how it sounded. Then in the evening when I switched to movies all my DV files were playing in HDR, even after I'd replaced the cable that played DV 100% of the time on the 6500 to one rated 8k/2.1. I had to power off/on to get DV back on my Nvidia Shield andthat really reassured me I'm doing the right thing in going to the A1H
Great! Congratulations. I'll be super interested to see how you think it sounds compared to your 6500. Understand the AMPs are second to none in the A1H. Is the processing that much different? Room correction? DACS? I don't know what :)? That can help you decide if it's a keeper or not OR if the 6500 might be worth keeping until the next level of technology comes our way that is a difference maker.

But the A1H sure looks nice. That might set you up for the next 10 years!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Great

Great! Congratulations. I'll be super interested to see how you think it sounds compared to your 6500. Understand the AMPs are second to none in the A1H. Is the processing that much different? Room correction? DACS? I don't know what :)? That can help you decide if it's a keeper or not OR if the 6500 might be worth keeping until the next level of technology comes our way that is a difference maker.

But the A1H sure looks nice. That might set you up for the next 10 years!
How would you compare "sound" of one unit to another, particularly when so similar?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
How would you compare "sound" of one unit to another, particularly when so similar?
That's kind of the point, I understand the power of the amps is different and more channels if you actually need them but is the processing different? Room correction different if using Audyssey? If not, and especially if you are using external amps then is there really a difference that is worth noting (between 6500 and A1H) I sure hope so but I'm not saying I'm asking. I think Peng had a good response earlier.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's kind of the point, I understand the power of the amps is different and more channels if you actually need them but is the processing different? Room correction different if using Audyssey? If not, and especially if you are using external amps then is there really a difference that is worth noting (between 6500 and A1H) I sure hope so but I'm not saying I'm asking. I think Peng had a good response earlier.
Yes, dsp can be the difference aside from basic unit. Audyssey XT32 between the two should be very similar aside from sub capabilities and some specialty features (in the A1H). I'd think Dirac is the bigger potential difference in those models, tho.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Different dsp IC and room correction are the two things that will make the A1H sound different, that's 100% certainty because the differences will be measurable by REW or similar ways. That being said, sighted listening is a huge factor regardless, and for some reasons, that appears to be something that people cannot seem accept regardless what they have been told (mostly regurgitated by people like me, HD, even experts like Gene, Dr. Sean Olive and Dr. Floyd Toole.

Most want to believe that the differences they heard were so significant, even night and day so they could not imagine/accept it would make a difference if they did their comparison in DBT or even just SBT. In the case of the A1H though, just knowing that it measures as good as the A10 (based on Masimo's own measurements), is enough for me to think it is the AVR I would ever want, if I have the need, even if I cannot hear a difference between it and an entry level AVR, that's just me and I know it makes no sense to others lol.

I'll be interested to hear from the OP regardless, and I hope he likes it, I wouldn't want to have to return a 80 lb box.

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
It's here and I managed to get in a quick 6 point audyssey before the neighbor upstairs returns from work. Hopefully she's out all evening so I can really test things out.

Currently listening to some music with a smile on my face whether that's from the music or confidence I've made the right decision or both....I can say musically the anthem didn't really spark joy..... Whether it's placebo or maybe I just like the Denon sound more (although after going from a 3200 to 6500 then maybe I was conditioned to like that change and over time I'd have got used to the anthem)

But yeah, no fan noise, audio resumes almost instantly on Plex videos after rewind/forward.

Ironically last year I finally replaced 3 x basic IKEA coffee tables with shelf at floor level for all my gear with a dedicated Besta unit. I just had to rip out the rear panel to accommodate the A1h!

I'm now going to use the latest audyssey one to tweak my calibration

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's here and I managed to get in a quick 6 point audyssey before the neighbor upstairs returns from work. Hopefully she's out all evening so I can really test things out.

Currently listening to some music with a smile on my face whether that's from the music or confidence I've made the right decision or both....I can say musically the anthem didn't really spark joy..... Whether it's placebo or maybe I just like the Denon sound more (although after going from a 3200 to 6500 then maybe I was conditioned to like that change and over time I'd have got used to the anthem)

But yeah, no fan noise, audio resumes almost instantly on Plex videos after rewind/forward.

Ironically last year I finally replaced 3 x basic IKEA coffee tables with shelf at floor level for all my gear with a dedicated Besta unit. I just had to rip out the rear panel to accommodate the A1h!

I'm now going to use the latest audyssey one to tweak my calibration
Congrats!

Yeah, you just learned a lesson that no boutique brand is gonna beat the Denon A1 AVR. :D

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
Got lucky and neighbor hasn't been back so full afternoon and evening of listening.

I have ran the latest audyssey one, just watched the race scene of Ready Player One and found it much more immersive than on the Anthem. Although that's comparing my unoptimized/tweaked Genesis vs whatever it is OCA is doing with audyssey one.

I'm not quite sure the latest audyssey one is as good for music as it is for movies. Maybe I'll use a different preset for music.

Thanks for all the advice that helped me pull the trigger on the A1h!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got lucky and neighbor hasn't been back so full afternoon and evening of listening.

I have ran the latest audyssey one, just watched the race scene of Ready Player One and found it much more immersive than on the Anthem. Although that's comparing my unoptimized/tweaked Genesis vs whatever it is OCA is doing with audyssey one.

I'm not quite sure the latest audyssey one is as good for music as it is for movies. Maybe I'll use a different preset for music.

I've not tried OCA's tweaks yet, it changes version every time I look....I'll wait until it settles down. Having different settings might be a good way to go. Mostly it will be about the quality of the recording, not whether it's accompanied by video or not.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Audyssey One seems good for people who don't want to, or don't have time, to tune with the Editor app or the X app. I have time, so I will not use it, no need to when I can get within +/- 1 dB 20-120 Hz, +/- 1.5 dB 20-200 Hz, and preserve the superior FIR filters versus REW/PEQ kind of filters. If it works for you, great as it is a time saver.

The funny thing to note is that, D+M caution that they would be responsible for any damage (no idea how they could prove it though, in case of failures lol..).

As for music, I see no reason at all why it would not be as good for music, that is in most cases just another myth perpetuated over the years, most likely rooted in misconception.

F

famasfilms

Enthusiast
Audyssey One seems good for people who don't want to, or don't have time, to tune with the Editor app or the X

As for music, I see no reason at all why it would not be as good for music, that is in most cases just another myth perpetuated over the years, most likely rooted in misconception.
I meant the Audyssey One tweaked calibration was possibly not as good as the untweaked audyssey file for music. Not that audyssey is inferior/less effective for music.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I meant the Audyssey One tweaked calibration was possibly not as good as the untweaked audyssey file for music. Not that audyssey is inferior/less effective for music.
I understood your questions, and I am saying that if it sounds better in movies, it should sound better in music as well, though okay, anything is possible especially when it could be a subjective matter to a large extent.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely choose whatever EQ-file that sounds the best SUBJECTIVELY - even if that means NO EQ at all. :D

IOW, just because the FR graph is FLATTER (more linear) with a certain EQ doesn't mean it will sound the best subjectively to you.

So compare all EQ - including No EQ at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis