Another "what sub to get" thread. Sorry.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys,

Here's my system:

Denon 2805 receiver
Toshiba DVD player (used as CD player)
Panasonic S77 DVD player
Boston VR2 fronts
Boston PV500 sub
Earthquake MKIV-10 sub

I recently bought an Earthquake sub because my Boston didn't play loud or low enough for me. The Earthquake sounds great, but it has a noticeable hum. At first, I thought it was a ground problem, but I tried an isolator plug and that didn't help. Then I attached ground wires from the back of all of my components, (even my cable box), to the back of my Denon. Hum still there. I took it back to Earthquake, and had the Vice President of the company tell me that all subs generate a bit of hum. He even said that their other subs have even worse hum than the MKIV-10. I never noticed my Boston humming, but I went home and put my ear right up to the woofer and I did notice a VERY slight hum. Not near as bad as the Earthquake though.

Well the hum is enough for me to want to get rid of the Earthquake. Can anyone recommend a good sub that will go down to about 20Hz in the $500-600 that doesn't have a noticeable hum?

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sheep said:
PB-10ISD. What size is your room?

SheepStar
About 20' x 20'. I'm not sure how high the ceiling is. Standard height I guess. 10'?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PB-10 might not cut it in a room that size. I'd look at the SVS 25-31PCi or PB-12. Is your room closed or open to any other areas? My room is 19x20 and open to the kitchen, and the PB-10 was impressive but not quite enough.

D

dirtraven

Enthusiast
Question

1. How high do you have the gain?
2. Have you tried to plug the sub into the same outlet as the receiver?
3. The Pb12 that i have has a 2 prong ac powercord so I don't get that anoying hum, but my last sub had the 3 prong AC cord. I did the used the Jensen ISO-MAX cable isolator (didn't work, matter of fact it filter some of my HD channels out). What did work for me to get rid of that hum was a Cheater plug worked and so did #2.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Cheater pluged removed the hum from my HSU VTF2. I think that suggestion came directly from HSU as I recall.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis