Another Newbie wanting a new Receiver

M

markab1

Audiophyte
Hi guys,
Just got back from shopping on foot and looking at new receivers. 4 years of suffering with my Sony DA333ES I just have to upgrade, and soon.With a budget of $2000 (US) it seems the choices are abundant. My requirements are HDMI upscaling to 720 or even 1080i through HDMI as I have a 50" Samsung Plasma. Connectivity would be a plus, such as in the Denon AVR4306, but the *****es I have read about the complexity of setup, the poor on screen menus, and the crappy remote makes me think twice about the receiver. Another choice I looked at today was the Marantz SR 8001, same price, much less connectivity, but as I have learned in the past, the Marantz is a tank, abuse it and it just keeps humming right along. Being such a new line there is no information on this or the SR 7001 so if anyone has any experience with them please do share. After reading a bit of these forums it seems as though there is some allegiance to Yamaha here too. Does anyone have first hand experience with thier AV lines and have something convincing to say that would make me want to run right out and buy a new Yammy? Well hopefully someone has the answer to my sketchy questions here. Really I just want to find the best bang for the buck and be able to take my system to the next level. BTW the rest of the system are as follows; Front speakers are a pair of Boston 965L's and a 12" KLH sub. Rears are soon to be replaced as well as the Boston center (might throw the old Paradigm in there) but that's another question to be addressed later.
Just a P.S. The old Sony DA333ES is gonna power the hottub sound system, hell, why get rid of the old beast? It still works. Thanks foer any comments and answers.

hv9200

hv9200

Audioholic Intern
Hey Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you go out and demo many of the recievers you see talked about here.

I just went through it and ended up with the Yamaha RX-V2700, but you should listen to as many as you can and compare the features you want, usabilty (to you) and price. Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer and Marantz are good places to start

Good luck!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis