Another Idiot Is In The House.

D

deftone

Enthusiast
Hello to all,

This is my first post and its gonna sound stupid coz i really can`t figure this out even after banging my head to the brick wall.Just for your info i will be getting 3 UPA-1,1 USP-1,1 UMC-1,1 XPA-3 or XPA-2 and the Oppo BDP 83SE for my HT configurations.Will be using the UPA`s to drive my LCR speakers and the X-3 or X2 for my rears.My set up will be 50/50 for HT and music.That`s why i need the USP-1 for my music listening on 2 channels L & R speakers.The problem that i am having now, how do i connect all of the above components.How many i/c do i need to get them running.Please help me figure this out.Any help will be much,much appreciated.Thanks in advance.:confused:

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Welcome to the forums. You are going to find a lot of good information here.

Looking at the above specs why not just get one decent Receiver/Amp combo and use the one device to drive for both audio and movies. I don't see any reason to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

If you have to have the above configuration then why not get 1 5 or 7 channel amp to make things easier. Regardless of which Emotiva route you choose you will run your BDP 83 into your UMC processor with analog cables. Then run from your UMC with analog cables into your amp()s. Have your BDP do all the processing. When it plays 2 channel audio only the 2 channels will play, when you do multi-channel surround the other speakers will get their signal. If you are run 5.1 you will need a set of 12 interconnects, if 7.1 then 14.

Hope this helps.

D

deftone

Enthusiast
Welcome to the forums. You are going to find a lot of good information here.

Looking at the above specs why not just get one decent Receiver/Amp combo and use the one device to drive for both audio and movies. I don't see any reason to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

If you have to have the above configuration then why not get 1 5 or 7 channel amp to make things easier. Regardless of which Emotiva route you choose you will run your BDP 83 into your UMC processor with analog cables. Then run from your UMC with analog cables into your amp()s. Have your BDP do all the processing. When it plays 2 channel audio only the 2 channels will play, when you do multi-channel surround the other speakers will get their signal. If you are run 5.1 you will need a set of 12 interconnects, if 7.1 then 14.

Hope this helps.

Thanks mpompey,

I already placed the order for the 3 UPA`s,USP and its on the way here and pre-order for the UMC-1.I know that its complicated issue for a noob like me.Like what i have said above i need the USP for my music listening into 2 channels and the reason that i buy 3 UPA`s is to drive the front and centre.May be the X-3 for my rears.Thats what i had planned and not realising it will be a complicated to hook up all the component.By the way i will be running the 5.1 for my HT and i am trying hard to figure it out.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Thanks mpompey,

I already placed the order for the 3 UPA`s,USP and its on the way here and pre-order for the UMC-1.I know that its complicated issue for a noob like me.Like what i have said above i need the USP for my music listening into 2 channels and the reason that i buy 3 UPA`s is to drive the front and centre.May be the X-3 for my rears.Thats what i had planned and not realising it will be a complicated to hook up all the component.By the way i will be running the 5.1 for my HT and i am trying hard to figure it out.
As already mentioned by Glocksrock; you don't need the USP-1. Connect the UMC-1 with the 3 UPA-1's and the XPA-2; the BDP 83SE with the UMC-1. So 3 + 2 + 1 interconnects.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Heck, if this is in one room with the same speakers, you could've saved some cash and just gone with an XPA-5. Between the amps and processors alone I count 8: 3 (center/2-surrounds), 4 (L/Rx2). 1 (sub). Then any additional to connect the sources + sub cable.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Heck, if this is in one room with the same speakers, you could've saved some cash and just gone with an XPA-5. Between the amps and processors alone I count 8: 3 (center/2-surrounds), 4 (L/Rx2). 1 (sub). Then any additional to connect the sources + sub cable.
Yes I didn't include the sub because I based the count on the components (not speakers). But why 4 (L/Rx2) and not 2 (L/R) or are you taking into account the use of the UMC-1 combined with the USP-1 ?

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Of course: you'd loose a lot of wattage.

D

deftone

Enthusiast
As already mentioned by Glocksrock; you don't need the USP-1. Connect the UMC-1 with the 3 UPA-1's and the XPA-2; the BDP 83SE with the UMC-1. So 3 + 2 + 1 interconnects.

Thanks Jeepers,

So,i should skip the USP-1 and go for the UMC-1(pre/pro) and connect the 3 UPA-1,X-2 and the Oppo to the UMC.Total i/c that i need for a 5.1 config will be
7,right?Thanks again

D

deftone

Enthusiast
Of course: you'd loose a lot of wattage.

Hi Jerry,

That`s what i actually thought.If i were to go with the 3 UPA,X3 and the UMC

how do i get them hook up.I am a bit numb in the head.Do i have to connect

the UPA to the UMC and how do i trigger the 3 UPA ,UMC and the X-3?Thanks

D

deftone

Enthusiast
Hello again

Can i connect the BDP 83 thru HDMI or i have to do it the analogue way thru the rca i/c to the UMC.One more thing what average lenght do you guys used for your i/c?Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Thanks Jeepers,

So,i should skip the USP-1 and go for the UMC-1(pre/pro) and connect the 3 UPA-1,X-2 and the Oppo to the UMC.Total i/c that i need for a 5.1 config will be
7,right?Thanks again
The USP-1 is a stereo (2 channel) preamp whereas the UMC-1 is a audio-video processor thus multi-channel audio and also video so yes I would skip the USP-1 but that's for you to decide. Any idea when you will be receiving the UMC-1 meaning how long will you have to wait ?

I/C in a 5.1 set up using the UMC-1 without the USP-1 is indeed 7
- UMC-1 to each UPA-1 : 3
- UMC-1 to XPA-2 : 2
- BDP 83SE to UMC-1 : 1 (assuming HDMI : audio/video)
- UMC-1 to subwoofer : 1

- 3 UPA-1 and XPA-2 to the corresponding speakers : 5 cables

Last edited:
J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Hello again

Can i connect the BDP 83 thru HDMI or i have to do it the analogue way thru the rca i/c to the UMC.One more thing what average lenght do you guys used for your i/c?Thanks for your patience.
Yes you can connect the BDP 83SE through HDMI to the UMC and that's what a lot of people would do. You can also use component for video and coax/optical for audio or even use analogue for audio. I would start with HDMI (eventhough the SE is recommended for analogue audio output) and later try the other connections as well; experimenting is a part of the fun.

Last edited:
J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Hello again

Can i connect the BDP 83 thru HDMI or i have to do it the analogue way thru the rca i/c to the UMC.
Additional :
HDMI (audio/video) : HDMI Audio setting to bitstream
==> 1 interconnect needed for both audio/video

HDMI (video) and analog 5.1 (audio) : HDMI Audio setting to Off and Audio Processing Menu to be set up for analog
==> 1 interconnect for video (HDMI)
==> 6 interconnects (L,C,R,SL,SR,SW) for analog audio (RCA)

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Out of curiosity, what speakers are you running? And how big is your room? Generally, for a 5.1 setup you only need 5 channels of amplification not 6 as the sub usually has its own power. Additionally, the surrounds could be run with less power like the UPA-2 since their signal is not as demanding. Or use an XPA-2 for L/R and the 3x UPA-1s for center & surrounds.

Last edited:
D

deftone

Enthusiast
The USP-1 is a stereo (2 channel) preamp whereas the UMC-1 is a audio-video processor thus multi-channel audio and also video so yes I would skip the USP-1 but that's for you to decide. Any idea when you will be receiving the UMC-1 meaning how long will you have to wait ?

I/C in a 5.1 set up using the UMC-1 without the USP-1 is indeed 7
- UMC-1 to each UPA-1 : 3
- UMC-1 to XPA-2 : 2
- BDP 83SE to UMC-1 : 1 (assuming HDMI : audio/video)
- UMC-1 to subwoofer : 1

- 3 UPA-1 and XPA-2 to the corresponding speakers : 5 cables
Hey Jeepers thanks a millions for your help and info.Actually i really want to get the USP-1 for dedicated stereo music listening and by-pass the UMC pre/pro,can i do that?How do i get the USP hook up?

D

deftone

Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, what speakers are you running? And how big is your room? Generally, for a 5.1 setup you only need 5 channels of amplification not 6 as the sub usually has its own power. Additionally, the surrounds could be run with less power like the UPA-2 since their signal is not as demanding. Or use an XPA-2 for L/R and the 3x UPA-1s for center & surrounds.

Avrat my speakers will be the B&W 804s,Htm4 and the 805s.For the room its about 20/18.My initial thought is to get the UPA-1 to run my LCR speakers and the X-3 for the rears and all the speakers will have 200 wpc.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Hey Jeepers thanks a millions for your help and info.Actually i really want to get the USP-1 for dedicated stereo music listening and by-pass the UMC pre/pro,can i do that?How do i get the USP hook up?
I don't have Emotiva gear and I have never tried that kind of set up so I had to read the manuals. Here is my guess.

Connect the BDP 83SE either via HMDI (audio/Video) or HDMI (video) and analog audio (5.1) to the UMC. If you have a turntable, connect it to the USP. In case you would use the BDP 83SE as CD player; you might connect the dedicated L/R analog output to the USP CD input.

From the UMC :
- connect C to XPA, SL/SR to UPA, SW to sub.
- connect L/R to HT L/R inputs of USP and from the USP the Full Range L/R outputs to the other 2 XPA.

When you want to use the 5.1 conf; press the HT Bypass button on the USP.

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Connect the

Take the 3 whatzits and run to the huzzit, then take a cable and go the inzits and route that round the howzits. You'll need 7 whatchamaziggers to connect the four thingys to the widgets...:D

D

deftone

Enthusiast
Take the 3 whatzits and run to the huzzit, then take a cable and go the inzits and route that round the howzits. You'll need 7 whatchamaziggers to connect the four thingys to the widgets...:D
Jeepers thanks again for your help

Newb What tha hell is that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis