Another...Aperion grand verus review

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I see. So I need classe gear to get speakers to sound decent.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja

Nah...the Classe gear was just there because of his 800's we all know the 18 hrs burn in was the ticket:p. All the kidding aside...I liked the review for what it's worth, but let's be honest here...I'm more likely to buy these speakers based on the audioholics review over the HT.com but it's nice to see more postive reviews coming in for Aperion...they deserve it...JMO.:)

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
He never specified which Classe amp he used, nor did he indicate which $500 Onkyo he was using. If he said that his 75w entry level HT receiver didn't do as good a job as a dedicated 200w amp, then sure it makes total sense, but he dresses it up in brand-name-dropping. I agree with your snark, it is unnecessary snob factor. (But I'm sure he's very proud of his Classe system...probably acquired at a steep discount in exchange for a positive review.)

I chalk it up to another marketing oriented review with which you have to read between the lines.

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
we all know the 18 hrs burn in was ticket:p.
I generally stop reading reviews once I see the "burn in" red flag...saves me lot of time, but sometimes I'm left with no reviews to read!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I generally stop reading reviews once I see the "burn in" red flag...saves me lot of time, but sometimes I'm left with no reviews to read!
I don't even read them unless I see some kind of measurements or graphs somewhere in there.:eek::D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like reading those Revel Salon2 forums in which the owners discuss which amps would make their Salon2s sing better.:D

Mark Levinson? McIntosh? Krell? :eek:

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
Well although I will not be powering them with anything exotic - I just ordered a set of the bookshelves and the grand center (towers are out and with a 100% trade-up offered, I thought I'd try out the little guys first).

Will post my thoughts when they arrive and I get everything set up. And who knows... if they're really that good, I might just keep them and get the towers too and move the BS to the 2ch rig. since they're so particular about good amplification. :D

B

bobr1952

Audiophyte
I really didn't get all the talk about exotic equipment either. I plan to power my VGTs with my Onkyo 808--and Aperion said that would be a fine receiver to use. :)

digicidal

digicidal

Full Audioholic
Still getting everything sorted as far as setup is concerned but the 1-day overview is that these are some very, very nice speakers. Definitely everything I was looking for as far as both performance and appearance.

Sound is more laid back and accurate than that of the Polk RTi A-series it replaces. Of course, I still like the Polks - however, in my theater room they were way to 'hot' in the treble for my already bright room. The VGB's really did much more of a disappearing act when it came to watching movies. I haven't had enough time to spend critically listening to music that I'm more intimately familiar with to make a full review at the moment - but I can say that from what I've experienced with the VGBs and the VGC - they are a fantastic setup for movies. Even though the center can overpower the bookshelves pretty easily - that's not necessarily a bad thing for movies, since most everything happens in the center channel anyway.

I'll give them a few weeks and take some notes once everything settles down and I have some time to spend digesting the differences. I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone looking for surround speakers in the sub $5000 range. I almost pulled the trigger on the CM line from B&W... boy am I glad I didn't. These are much, much better sounding IMHO. Of course, I auditioned them at Magnolia, so the room could have been to blame for some of their issues.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis