Announcing the Second Philharmonic Audio BMR Roadshow

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The first stop on the Second BMR Roadshow has written an extensive set of listener's impressions and measurements. It's a long read, but quite a good read.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The first stop on the Second BMR Roadshow has written an extensive set of listener's impressions and measurements. It's a long read, but quite a good read.
Thanks for sharing that link!

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I forgot to say that the first several posts compare the Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitor to the Dynaudio Excite X18 2-way speakers – all in a small roughly 12×12 room.

Next, he will compare the BMR to the Revel F206 floor standing speakers in a larger media/home theater room.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I should add that the first several posts in that link compare the Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitor to the Dynaudio Excite X18 2-way speakers – all in a small roughly 12×12 room.

Next, he will compare the BMR to the Revel F206 floor standing speakers in a larger media/home theater room.
I was hoping he had that up already. I've said it before: I think the BMRs compete favorably against the towers I auditioned in 2018, including the MA Silver 300 and Silver 500, KEF Q950 and R900, ML Motion 40 and Motion 60XT, among others.
There really isn't another tower I want to hear outside of just simple education and curiosity. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I was hoping he had that up already. I've said it before: I think the BMRs compete favorably against the towers I auditioned in 2018, including the MA Silver 300 and Silver 500, KEF Q950 and R900, ML Motion 40 and Motion 60XT, among others.
There really isn't another tower I want to hear outside of just simple education and curiosity. :)
The short version of his first comparison is that the Dynaudio Excite X18 was no contest for the BMR.

I remember your comparisons. They were consistent with my own comparison of the BMRs to my Salk Veracity ST speakers. They were very close – not identical but very close. The only major difference was in bass. I'll be interested to read that poster's second comparison.

T

Twiddle23

Enthusiast
Hey all new to the forums (finally registered after years of lurking) just wanted to say dennis your work is amazing. I am a younger audiophile and really love the work you do! Would love to give these a test run, really really interested in purchasing a pair (ready to take the plunge)!

Be safe all and keep on listening !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man! What a great opportunity this would be for me to compare with my Sierra Towers! I'm west of the Mississippi though, damnit! I'd be all over this, and willing to try to write up a subjective shootout (and maybe try to recruit a little help!) if I were more east! Bummer.

As I was skimming I see they're currently going head to head with a pair of Sierra 2EX's? Is there a writeup on that yet? This is pretty cool.

*Edit: Just read the reddit review. Now more than ever I want to hear them next to my towers. The midrange driver in the Sierra Towers is almost as much a star as the RAAL tweeters. I have to admit tho... I am a little skeered... :oops:

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Not sure I would call Chicago East Coast. And even though it's on the wrong side of the Mighty Miss--I'll throw in St. Louis. I've never sold a pair of speakers to anyone in St. Louis. Strange.
You could put them on the high speed ferry to Milwaukee- I think it's still running to & from Michigan.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh man! What a great opportunity this would be for me to compare with my Sierra Towers! I'm west of the Mississippi though, damnit! I'd be all over this, and willing to try to write up a subjective shootout (and maybe try to recruit a little help!) if I were more east! Bummer.

As I was skimming I see they're currently going head to head with a pair of Sierra 2EX's? Is there a writeup on that yet? This is pretty cool.

*Edit: Just read the reddit review. Now more than ever I want to hear them next to my towers. The midrange driver in the Sierra Towers is almost as much a star as the RAAL tweeters. I have to admit tho... I am a little skeered... :oops:
BUT.....the Balanced Mode Radiator driver itself is an innovative, state of the art driver!

I first heard it in the Cambridge AeroMax, serving as both the mid-range and the tweet, and it sounded very good! DM tells us that the high freqs are better served by the RAAL, and limit the BMR to the mid-range.

Oh yeah, and the BMR driver itself costs ~$16 retail!

Techtonic has a white paper covering the BMR, it is worth a read! I don't have time to track it down to post a link right now.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow...I need these in my life.
They will be quite different from the B&Ws and JBLs I know you to be familiar with. In a good way.
I think they play just fine in some of my more spirited listening sessions, but that usually doesn’t entail much more than -10dB.
They work well in HT as mains and center, and absolutely stun in stereo or multichannel music.
A sub is not mandatory with them in a Music only setting, but is nice if you listen to anything with a touch of deeper bass.
In the end, these still strike me as being among the best speakers available under $3k, and easily can go toe to toe with much more expensive gear.

T

Twiddle23

Enthusiast
They will be quite different from the B&Ws and JBLs I know you to be familiar with. In a good way.
I think they play just fine in some of my more spirited listening sessions, but that usually doesn’t entail much more than -10dB.
They work well in HT as mains and center, and absolutely stun in stereo or multichannel music.
A sub is not mandatory with them in a Music only setting, but is nice if you listen to anything with a touch of deeper bass.
In the end, these still strike me as being among the best speakers available under $3k, and easily can go toe to toe with much more expensive gear.
You're making me excited! I reached out to Dennis and am put down on the list for the BMR March shipment (my first dennis speaker/BMR) I can't wait!!!!

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
I want them for two channel listening. I will post my room measurements tomorrow, get some opinions on any challenges.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
I want them for two channel listening. I will post my room measurements tomorrow, get some opinions on any challenges.
Dennis modded some Emotiva b1s for me.. They are probably a step below the bmr's in clarity and bass reproduction.. But i like them every bit as much as the 530s and then some.. They play clearer and have more top end extension and air, and they image better, imo, a trait i think they would share with the bmr's...

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Living room measures 19’w x 18’8” L x 8” h. The back left opens up to a 36” wide. Hallway, the back right opens (9’6h x 7’w) to an eat in kitchen.

no television at all, I don’t think in terms of being able to pressurize the room, but I want good base response. A nice thump, not wall rattling stuff. Clarity, accuracy, and jaw dropping vocal are what I am after, without subs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis