Analog to HDMI Conversion Receiver--Help Needed!!

C

coolskid

Audiophyte
Hi Guys,
I need some help from the experts out there to choose a receiver that fits my needs. Here are the details of the components I am trying to hook:

1. Sony Bravia LCD TV KDL-52XBR2
2. Basic Dish Network DVR (non HD)
3. Sony single DISC DVD player (analog)
4. Sanyo VCR player (analog)
5. Sony Speakers (5.1 channel Basic)

To hook all these up first I brought a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver which does the 1080p hdmi passthrough but does not convert the analog signals to HDMI.. so I had to run a component cable from the receiver to TV and it wont work with my HDMI cable.

I replaced my receiver now and changed to Harman Kardon AVR 247 which was the only available in the same price range and at best buy and this one does the Analog to HDMI conversion but the HDMI cable only passes video signal but not any audio meaning if I switch off my speakers I will get only video on my TV but not audio

Now I am planning to change the receiver to Onkyo TX-SR605 which also does the analog to HDMI conversion but now my million dollar question is will it carry the audio signal in the HDMI cable along with the video signal...

Guys really need expert help here.. Please advise...:confused:

Thanks,
Coolskid

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Coolskid, according to the owner's manual - yes, it will pass HMDI audio.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Guys,
I need some help from the experts out there to choose a receiver that fits my needs. Here are the details of the components I am trying to hook:

1. Sony Bravia LCD TV KDL-52XBR2
2. Basic Dish Network DVR (non HD)
3. Sony single DISC DVD player (analog)
4. Sanyo VCR player (analog)
5. Sony Speakers (5.1 channel Basic)

To hook all these up first I brought a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver which does the 1080p hdmi passthrough but does not convert the analog signals to HDMI.. so I had to run a component cable from the receiver to TV and it wont work with my HDMI cable.

I replaced my receiver now and changed to Harman Kardon AVR 247 which was the only available in the same price range and at best buy and this one does the Analog to HDMI conversion but the HDMI cable only passes video signal but not any audio meaning if I switch off my speakers I will get only video on my TV but not audio

Now I am planning to change the receiver to Onkyo TX-SR605 which also does the analog to HDMI conversion but now my million dollar question is will it carry the audio signal in the HDMI cable along with the video signal...

Guys really need expert help here.. Please advise...:confused:

Thanks,
Coolskid
The passthrough units carry audio as well as video on HDMI. What they do not do is capture the HDMI for internal processing. They just pass through what is there. I have an Onkyo 605 which is a capable receiver. As you say, it does more than pass through and will do SD "upscaling" for a source that is connected via HDMI. The upscaling is not really a very big deal in my own opinion. It improves the look of SD DVD's marginally but, of course, can't add detail that is not there in the first place. "upscaled" SD DVD's look great but they aren't hi-def.

However, understand that, since none of your sources ouputs HDMI, there isn't anything really to be gained by having it in the signal chain. It would likely be a good investment to help "future-proof" your receiver because you could use the HDMI signal chain as you add HDMI sources in the future. But, with the equipment you have, the "pass-through" is more than good enough.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Video connections

Skid,
Unless you plan to upgrade soon, you wont be able to take advantage of a $500+ receiver with your Sony HTIB speakers.

I would recommend an entry level reciever ($200) that has component video switching and format conversion of composite and s-video to component. My Yamaha HTR-5860 does this. Connect the analog video through the receiver and HDMI (video) directly to the display. Audio will connect the the receiver via digital or optical coax in most cases.

If you don't have enough HDMI inputs on the TV, you can get a switch box for <$100.

The couple extra cables you will need are very inexpensive from monprice. Having a single HDMI cable to the TV is a nice feature, but I wouldn't pay an extra $400 for it.

C

coolskid

Audiophyte
Thanks guys for all your advice and suggestion. This is a great forum.

Hi Adam,
Thanks for taking the time and posting the manual as well. That helped me a lot. I had one more question about what they said in the manual:

"This preference determines whether audio received at
the HDMI IN is output by the HDMI OUT. You may
want to turn this preference on if your TV is connected
to the HDMI OUT and you want to listen to the audio
from a component that’s connected to an HDMI IN,
through your TV’s speakers. Normally, this should be set
to Off."

Does that mean that HDMI out will carry the audio signal only if we input through HDMI IN or will that option even work with analog inputs??

Thanks,
Coolskid

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
"This preference determines whether audio received at the HDMI IN is output by the HDMI OUT. You may
want to turn this preference on if your TV is connected
to the HDMI OUT and you want to listen to the audio
from a component that’s connected to an HDMI IN,
through your TV’s speakers. Normally, this should be set
to Off."

Does that mean that HDMI out will carry the audio signal only if we input through HDMI IN or will that option even work with analog inputs??

Thanks,
Coolskid
No receivers will take an analog audio input, convert it to digital, and send it out a digital out of any kind. It it comes in analog it can only go out as analog and vice versa for digital.

HDMI carries audio and video and that setting just determines whether you want the receiver to keep the audio and process it so it can be heard over the speakers connected to the receiver or send the audio out of the HDMI out. The video always goes to the TV and the upconversion only applies to video.

E

EnzoPolotso

Audioholic Intern
I'm just wondering... Why exactly do you need that feature? If you have an analog source hooked up to the receiver and video is being passed through to the tv, well, the receiver is ON, so why don't you use the speakers connected to the receiver?

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
As some have already said, audio coming into the receiver (any of them being considered) via an analog source (not from an HDMI, optical or coax connection) will not be converted to digital and outputed to an HDMI cable. So you will have to run an RCA type audio cable from the cable box, VCR and DVD player to the reciever and then out to the TV if you wish to only listen to the TV's speakers. When you take the plunge to upgrade to a DVD player and or cable/satellite box with HDMI or at least digital output then a "single" connection can be made for A/V from the receiver to the TV. Keep in mind the receiver must be on to pass this as well, not always obvious since some call this "pass through" Anyway with my set up the DVD player does not have HDMI output, rather it has DVI so I had to run an optical line to the receiver. The receiver does output the audio via HDMI to the TV in this case as it is already digital. All of this can be traced back to DRM and your friendly/stupid RIAA!

Also make sure the TV is set to receive audio via the HDMI. Good luck!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis