Analog db meters setup for AV Recievers

G

Gregrfair

Enthusiast
Ok, here’s a fun little question. I have my home theater system set up, sounds really good the wife and I enjoy the hell out it. But like most guys my age I’d like to add some old school blink in the form of the old VU db meters, just loved watching them dance back on the day so here’s the question.. is there a product out there that has two analog db meters that I could hook up to my boring modern AV receiver to give it some style, some movement, they don’t even have to tell me anything. Thanks in advance.

G

Gregrfair

Enthusiast
Like those, yes… I did see them as I searched around but thought I’d ask the question to get some other input. These are Chinese (what isn’t anymore), I read the reviews which did say much really. Thanks for the reply…

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not a VU fan much myself, just remembered that review. I think there are a few other options out there (and think there are a few threads not tied to a review on the subject over at ASR).

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
I use these on 6 channels there easy to use and are somewhat accurate if you play with the adjustable controls for each channel . You can get a Dot display or the full blown Bar display .

Attachments

G

Gregrfair

Enthusiast
That’s not bad, LED’s are nice I have them as a back light on the TV. However, the analog meters were just cool as hell, their lighting was soft, the needle motion was great.. can’t really find anything except what looks like cheap Chinese crap. Doesn’t look like I’m gonna get what I’m looking for but I’ll keep searching.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, here’s a fun little question. I have my home theater system set up, sounds really good the wife and I enjoy the hell out it. But like most guys my age I’d like to add some old school blink in the form of the old VU db meters, just loved watching them dance back on the day so here’s the question.. is there a product out there that has two analog db meters that I could hook up to my boring modern AV receiver to give it some style, some movement, they don’t even have to tell me anything. Thanks in advance.
Like the unit Loving posted, be careful that you get something that is 100% transparent or you may get distortion and noise that's audible

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That’s not bad, LED’s are nice I have them as a back light on the TV. However, the analog meters were just cool as hell, their lighting was soft, the needle motion was great.. can’t really find anything except what looks like cheap Chinese crap. Doesn’t look like I’m gonna get what I’m looking for but I’ll keep searching.
If you want something that is quality and will not downgrade your audio, then you will have to build it yourself. You certainly don't want a pass though unit, and you want one with a high input impedance.

Others have done this, and below I will post a circuit for VU meters and one for LED lights. You will need to build a circuit for each channel. None of these circuits would be difficult to build.

One for VU meter.

Now one for LEDs

Both those circuits would be easy to build. You would have to source a case, either metal or wood. For wood you would have to build it. Generic cases are available, but metal work would be required for mounting jacks, meters, controls etc. If you use the LED in metal, no highly specialized tools would be required. To mount VU meters it would be best to have access to a plasma cutter.

Now you have got yourself a nice little project.

If you want this done properly then you will have to do it yourself.

G

Gregrfair

Enthusiast
I am seriously contemplating doing this myself.. I love a good project.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I am seriously contemplating doing this myself.. I love a good project.
In that case, I have given you a good start. Either of those would work very well, and could be powered from a standard plug in power supply, and they will not affect your SQ.

G

Gregrfair

Enthusiast
Hey TLS, I’ve been reviewing this idea of building the circuit diagram you attached above, I even found the post on Home-made Circuits.com, but I’m no engineer and have no idea how to do this or where to start. It’s very interesting to me but no sure if I have the skill set. Still looking at it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Hey TLS, I’ve been reviewing this idea of building the circuit diagram you attached above, I even found the post on Home-made Circuits.com, but I’m no engineer and have no idea how to do this or where to start. It’s very interesting to me but no sure if I have the skill set. Still looking at it.
We all had to start somewhere.

C

CarlXu

Audiophyte
Like those, yes… I did see them as I searched around but thought I’d ask the question to get some other input. These are Chinese (what isn’t anymore), I read the reviews which did say much really. Thanks for the reply…
Some RCA inputs and outputs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis