AMPS: High Power Vs High Current?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks M!
You've got the answer. It's a shame that HK used to push the idea. The fact is, there is definition or standard. Even it the info M Code mentioned are provided (would help a lot), how high is high?

By the same token, how low is low? A $399 AVR can drive 4 ohms speakers, so are they low Current amps? I don't know, but I think many HTIAB systems are based on 4 ohm "nominal" speakers paired with cheap receivers/amps.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
You've got the answer. It's a shame that HK used to push the idea. The fact is, there is definition or standard. Even it the info M Code mentioned are provided (would help a lot), how high is high?

By the same token, how low is low? A $399 AVR can drive 4 ohms speakers, so are they low Current amps? I don't know, but I think many HTIAB systems are based on 4 ohm "nominal" speakers paired with cheap receivers/amps.
Thanks PENG, but that’s where I first saw that 35 amp peak thing was HK when I got my 3490 two channel stereo unit. I always thought just what does that really mean? like where they, HK saying 35 amps of peak output for short term but they never said.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks PENG, but that’s where I first saw that 35 amp peak thing was HK when I got my 3490 two channel stereo unit. I always thought just what does that really mean? like where they, HK saying 35 amps of peak output for short term but they never said.
Exactly, never stated how long, rms, peak peak to peak etc.

Also, if you do the math, the 3480 would have to drive a 2 ohm or lower impedance to get peak current that high. That thing probably do have an above average power supply though.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Exactly, never stated how long, rms, peak peak to peak etc.

Also, if you do the math, the 3480 would have to drive a 2 ohm or lower impedance to get peak current that high. That thing probably do have an above average power supply though.
Somewhere in my archives I have the HK specs for high current as they were originally created by their chief engineer, Richie Miller who was in the Woodbury, NY headquarters. As we handled the original projects for the stereo receivers including the 3480, 15 years back.. Richie was with Harman for many years and did the majority of their amplifier and power supply topology & circuit designs for HK amplifiers including their well-reviewed Citation products, HK AVRs and certain 12V amplifiers. But as I posted previously, key points include frequency driven and time interval,... For example just consider the spec differences if the time interval between 20mS and 200mS.. Yet putting the specs aside I always found that for the most part HK amplifiers had conservative power output ratings and performed very well within their respective price categories. However note in the last few generations for HK AVRs, the amplifier specs were authored by the marketing department not the engineering/product development team. Final note, the HK stereo receivers were originally built in Korea, transferred to China and ended up in Vietnam in the factory that built Marantz and NAD receivers...

Just my $0.02... ;)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I found the review Gene did on the 3490 unit it tested out very well. M Code is spot on that unit tested out way about it’s rated output. Gene gave it’s performance 41/2 stars. I had that unit one of my biggest mistakes was selling it off. Gene tested it both channels driven @ 4 Ohms it came in at over 200 watts each channel he stated it didn’t even sweat. 147 both channels @ 8 Ohms. They don’t make them like that anymore.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I found the review Gene did on the 3490 unit it tested out very well. M Code is spot on that unit tested out way about it’s rated output. Gene gave it’s performance 41/2 stars. I had that unit one of my biggest mistakes was selling it off. Gene tested it both channels driven @ 4 Ohms it came in at over 200 watts each channel he stated it didn’t even sweat. 147 both channels @ 8 Ohms. They don’t make them like that anymore.
Maybe not as much, but there are still a few in the weight class. I'd throw my Monolith in the ring.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My avr does a bit better than that in 2ch mode.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Damn, that's one hell of a unit.
I don't think it's all that unusual for the flagship level model avrs. It might be a bit more unusual in a 2ch unit these days.....

ps Nor have any of my electronics "sweated"....that would be disgusting :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think it's all that unusual for the flagship level model avrs. It might be a bit more unusual in a 2ch unit these days.....
Yeah, my participation in this conversation could have used a couple of Google searches before I butted in and started commenting, lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, my participation in this conversation could have used a couple of Google searches before I butted in and started commenting, lol.
Still, most who want that kind of power are going to do what you did and buy an external amp....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm running Infinity P363 4 ohm floorstanders with my 3490. Having owned separates back in the 80s and 90s I can honestly say that I am more than happy with this receiver. Lots of power and a decent tuner and preamp including a phono pre. For a 2 channel setup this thing is a beast.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I'm running Infinity P363 4 ohm floorstanders with my 3490. Having owned separates back in the 80s and 90s I can honestly say that I am more than happy with this receiver. Lots of power and a decent tuner and preamp including a phono pre. For a 2 channel setup this thing is a beast.
umm, Sooo would you like to part with that 3490? ;) you have a sub hooked up to it? the closest one to that 3490 is the two channel Outlaw. but like 9 bills. I paid 399 for one back in 2011 they do have a few on Ebay going 250 or less but no remotes. I don’t but off of Ebay cause i’ve read a lot get ripped off. So I’d gladly take it off your hands when you upgrade soon I hope:D

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
umm, Sooo would you like to part with that 3490? ;) you have a sub hooked up to it? the closest one to that 3490 is the two channel Outlaw. but like 9 bills. I paid 399 for one back in 2011 they do have a few on Ebay going 250 or less but no remotes. I don’t but off of Ebay cause i’ve read a lot get ripped off. So I’d gladly take it off your hands when you upgrade soon I hope:D
Nice try :) I paid like $400 back in 2011 and I am keeping it until it dies. No sub don't really need it as the Infinity's dip into the mid 30s or so. But the preamp and tuner are more than decent and I can always ad a sub.
There are some Cambridge Audio receivers on Amazon for 5 hundred or so and they look pretty decent.

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
Wow, I just scanned through this topic discussion and while much of it went above my knowledge on power, watts, current, I've been trying to understand it.

I own an HK3490. I bought it 8 years ago used and it still works as-new. But I got the upgrade bug in January and decided to begin my search for a replacement. This was due to upgrading my speakers from Ascend Sierra 2, to the EX versions. So afterwards, I looked at my fairly expensive speakers being driven by a $300.00 amp and thought I should upgrade.

New amps that appealed to me were either ones with great You Tube reviews or with great specifications including CURRENT!

My speakers are 86 db in-room and are nominally 8 ohms dipping to 6 according to the manufacturer. 45 to 150 watts recommended.

So what did I end up with??? A vintage amp and pre amp. It's being delivered today. I have no idea what to expect. Specifically, it is a Nikko II and Nikko Beta 20. The Nkoo II is a dual mono amp with two transformers 120 watts per continuous both channels etc....Both have been totally recapped and restored by a company in TX who's sole business is restoring these old amps.

I'm checking the Fed Ex tracking for "Delivered", as I type this.

Will I like this set up better than the HK? Worse? the same????

We shall see!

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
Ha Ha... DELIVERED! Probably set it up tomorrow. BTW.... it is NOT a high current design.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow, I just scanned through this topic discussion and while much of it went above my knowledge on power, watts, current, I've been trying to understand it.

I own an HK3490. I bought it 8 years ago used and it still works as-new. But I got the upgrade bug in January and decided to begin my search for a replacement. This was due to upgrading my speakers from Ascend Sierra 2, to the EX versions. So afterwards, I looked at my fairly expensive speakers being driven by a $300.00 amp and thought I should upgrade.

New amps that appealed to me were either ones with great You Tube reviews or with great specifications including CURRENT!

My speakers are 86 db in-room and are nominally 8 ohms dipping to 6 according to the manufacturer. 45 to 150 watts recommended.

So what did I end up with??? A vintage amp and pre amp. It's being delivered today. I have no idea what to expect. Specifically, it is a Nikko II and Nikko Beta 20. The Nkoo II is a dual mono amp with two transformers 120 watts per continuous both channels etc....Both have been totally recapped and restored by a company in TX who's sole business is restoring these old amps.

We shall see!
The 3490 certainly has its fans from what I've read and the AH testing was pretty good https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/hk-3490/hk-3490-measurements

Why buy the old Nikko stuff particularly?

R

rifmon

Enthusiast
It was money....and impulse and impatience to be honest ....But also with some reason. I looked at Parasound amps, namely the Halo 23+ but that, with even the most economical Parasound Pre was up towards $2,000.00. Not in my budget.
Other options were higher end integrated amps but used. But I decided against several 15 to 20 year old integrated amps thinking they would need service in the next several years. Maybe yes, maybe no but capacitors only last so long.
Then I gravitated to a new brand; Iotavx SA3 and the PA3.....great subjective reviews but only so-so bench test.

My budget was approx $1,000.00. The Nikko set has a new lease on life and the set was $795.00...totally restored and recapped. I figured I'd give it a try. The amp has 2 transformers, two separate power supply boards, 2 heat sinks, etc... I imagine if this was made today, the amp and pre would be more in the $2000.00 to $3,000.00 range. Just a guess.

If nothing else, this will be a learning experience for me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

We shall see!
Well... realistically I don't think you're going to notice anything different unless there are differences in any dsp settings. Hopefully Nikko make accurate gear, I'm not familiar with them. Some of the boutique brands can actually measure a little squirrely because they're looking for a certain sound and not so much accuracy. If you don't mind, how much was the Nikko gear?

How do you like the EX upgrade? Is it pretty noticeable? I stumbled across a pair if Sierra 2s in piano gloss black for $650 on Craigslist recently and I jumped on them. I considered getting the kit too. Ultimately I went with the ribbon towers because I sit pretty far from my speakers and could really use the extra sensitivity and headroom. They will be here this coming Tuesday! Eek! :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It was money....and impulse and impatience to be honest ....But also with some reason. I looked at Parasound amps, namely the Halo 23+ but that, with even the most economical Parasound Pre was up towards $2,000.00. Not in my budget.
Other options were higher end integrated amps but used. But I decided against several 15 to 20 year old integrated amps thinking they would need service in the next several years. Maybe yes, maybe no but capacitors only last so long.
Then I gravitated to a new brand; Iotavx SA3 and the PA3.....great subjective reviews but only so-so bench test.

My budget was approx $1,000.00. The Nikko set has a new lease on life and the set was $795.00...totally restored and recapped. I figured I'd give it a try. The amp has 2 transformers, two separate power supply boards, 2 heat sinks, etc... I imagine if this was made today, the amp and pre would be more in the $2000.00 to $3,000.00 range. Just a guess.

If nothing else, this will be a learning experience for me.
You could have done worse. Freshly restored and recapped is a good thing provided whoever did knew what they were doing and should last a good long time.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis