Amplifier or receiver for home theater?

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Hi, trying hard to understand basics. So i bought 4k uhd tv i have about 40square metres room and i want to make it home theatre. I have harman kardon hkts16 5.1 and im reading and reading about receivers or amplifiers to choose, and now im confused what to do.. i found yamaha rx-v377 5.1 amplifier but still dont know if it would be good. What do you suggest?
I just wanna watch movies and feel proud about my theatre :) help me

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Receivers or AVRs have amplifiers built in, which are the two your are describing. Some AVRs have preouts which allow for external amplification.

Are you wanting to keep your current speaker setup?

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Yes i want to keep my setup. I just want to know if this yamaha receiver is capable to fully reveal my speakers. Some information about Yamaha receiver 5X100WDIN/6om.
So if my subwoofer is 200W and receiver puts 100W into one channel, so it would be no enough power?
I cant spend more money at this moment, so i need good advice

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yes i want to keep my setup. I just want to know if this yamaha receiver is capable to fully reveal my speakers. Some information about Yamaha receiver 5X100WDIN/6om.
So if my subwoofer is 200W and receiver puts 100W into one channel, so it would be no enough power?
I cant spend more money at this moment, so i need good advice
Your subwoofer has it's own amplifier so it doesn't matter. For the record that sub is more of a mid bass system as it doesnt go low at all, being down 6db at 45hz. So if the AVR has the features you want it's fine.

How large is your room? How far do you sit sit from the front speakers? Is the system used for movies and music? How loud do you listen? What's your upgrade budget?

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Its 40square metres. 3 metres from front speakers. System would be used more for movies, i will place it around the room, so i want to hear every sound from a movie, from every corner. I dont listen loud, it depends on music/movie if its drama you dont need sound, if its war movie you want to get high quaility from every explosion in high volume. For now my upgrade budget is below 200$. I think my ears would not recognise sound from better speakers, because i need practice of hearing. To minimize questions, i would ask same question would be good to buy Yamaha RX-V377 receiver? Because its almost new, and maybe it has new features.
P.S. i understand that my sentence about getting high quality in high volume is expensive thing. But maybe its possible to make it sound normal to watch movies

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Its 40square metres. 3 metres from front speakers. System would be used more for movies, i will place it around the room, so i want to hear every sound from a movie, from every corner. I dont listen loud, it depends on music/movie if its drama you dont need sound, if its war movie you want to get high quaility from every explosion in high volume. For now my upgrade budget is below 200$. I think my ears would not recognise sound from better speakers, because i need practice of hearing. To minimize questions, i would ask same question would be good to buy Yamaha RX-V377 receiver? Because its almost new, and maybe it has new features.
P.S. i understand that my sentence about getting high quality in high volume is expensive thing. But maybe its possible to make it sound normal to watch movies
The Yamaha will work fine. As for hearing every speaker that depends on the soundtrack, some are surround heavy some are not.

Again the subwoofer in that speaker system isnt going to get you that excitement you described. It may be a good starting point for you dont know though. When your in the budget side of home theater, and staying there, a lot of purchases will be lateral.
The new budvet AVRs will allow 4k pass thru, so your connections will be simplified (provided you gave 4k sources).

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The Yamaha will work fine. As for hearing every speaker that depends on the soundtrack, some are surround heavy some are not.

Again the subwoofer in that speaker system isnt going to get you that excitement you described. It may be a good starting point for you dont know though. When your in the budget side of home theater, and staying there, a lot of purchases will be lateral.
The new budvet AVRs will allow 4k pass thru, so your connections will be simplified (provided you gave 4k sources).
to @everettT
Hmm, I won't be so sure. It's an older model and may or may not properly support 4k, especially 4k DRM which require HDCP 2.2 which comes with HDMI 2.0. I didn't see anywhere on specs that it supports it.
To @Dolby atmaz
Since you're provides measurements in meters, I assume that you're from wrong side of the atlantic and I won't able to directly link to most US based online stores. What I would recommend to look for 2017 AVR models (with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 mentioned in spec sheet) for sale maybe even you'd get lucky with someone selling last year model second hand.

Short version, I fully expect you'd be having issues with 4k content like Ultra Blurays and Yamaha RX-V377 avr.

This HK 5.1 speakers system (or as we call it HTS - home theater system) is meant for much smaller spaces than you have now. 40 sq meters thats 430 sq ft or about 4300 cuft and puts you squarely in Large room category. (https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size)
I understand that the budget for upgrades is not there yet, but I strongly recommend to adjust your expectations for your system in that large room much lower.

One trick which may help you a bit is to place the sub in the closest corner to your seating position

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
to @everettT
Hmm, I won't be so sure. It's an older model and may or may not properly support 4k, especially 4k DRM which require HDCP 2.2 which comes with HDMI 2.0. I didn't see anywhere on specs that it supports it.
To @Dolby atmaz
Since you're provides measurements in meters, I assume that you're from wrong side of the atlantic and I won't able to directly link to most US based online stores. What I would recommend to look for 2017 AVR models (with HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 mentioned in spec sheet) for sale maybe even you'd get lucky with someone selling last year model second hand.

Short version, I fully expect you'd be having issues with 4k content like Ultra Blurays and Yamaha RX-V377 avr.

This HK 5.1 speakers system (or as we call it HTS - home theater system) is meant for much smaller spaces than you have now. 40 sq meters thats 430 sq ft or about 4300 cuft and puts you squarely in Large room category. (https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size)
I understand that the budget for upgrades is not there yet, but I strongly recommend to adjust your expectations for your system in that large room much lower.

One trick which may help you a bit is to place the sub in the closest corner to your seating position
The 377 , according to yamaha, should pass 4k. Wouldn't expect much more though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The 377 , according to yamaha, should pass 4k. Wouldn't expect much more though.
It should pass-through unencrypted and unprotected 4k, like one someone :rolleyes:;) might download, but I bet it won't work with DRM protected like Bluray 4k or 4k streaming

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
But it would work with usb? Because for start i will not buy blu ray dvd”
So final verdict for yamaha would be? No?

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
But it would work with usb? Because for start i will not buy blu ray dvd”
So final verdict for yamaha would be? No?
I don't know if it "work" with usb. I suggest you study the manual to see if it's compatible with files you want it to play

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
What does HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2? If yamaha player is without them? It will impact sound quality very much?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.
You bought a 4k TV. Nice. Where will the video signal to the TV coming from?
You said no blu ray DVD. What DVD player do you have? Maybe in the future?
Are you after just simple Dolby surround? What you have should work for that.

Did you buy all the components from a store? Ask questions first? Todays audio and video is no simple matter.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Welcome to AH.
You bought a 4k TV. Nice. Where will the video signal to the TV coming from?
You said no blu ray DVD. What DVD player do you have? Maybe in the future?
Are you after just simple Dolby surround? What you have should work for that.

Did you buy all the components from a store? Ask questions first? Todays audio and video is no simple matter.
With limited budget i will play my dvd and blu ray through ps4 and putting usb movies into the tv, and i will watch movies on netflix too. For a start dolby surround would be great, later would be perfect some HD sound or i dont know how its called. I bought it from people if we are talking about speakers
Just got an offer - Denon avrx5320bt and avr 1912 i cheked for 5320 it holds hdmi2.0 and 4k sound. What do you think?

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
With limited budget i will play my dvd and blu ray through ps4 and putting usb movies into the tv, and i will watch movies on netflix too. For a start dolby surround would be great, later would be perfect some HD sound or i dont know how its called. I bought it from people if we are talking about speakers
Just got an offer - Denon avrx5320bt and avr 1912 i cheked for 5320 it holds hdmi2.0 and 4k sound. What do you think?
Im unable to find the 5320 when i google it, wrong number? Is it the 530 you mean? https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRS530BT-Channel-Ultra-Receiver/dp/B06XYD1RZ3
The avr 1912 is very old so you will be unable to do 4k video/movies with it.
You really should get something thats compatible with things today and for that you need the HDCP 2.2 certification. If that means you have to wait a little more to save up a little more or find the right deal its worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Im unable to find the 5320 when i google it, wrong number? Is it the 530 you mean? https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVRS530BT-Channel-Ultra-Receiver/dp/B06XYD1RZ3
The avr 1912 is very old so you will be unable to do 4k video/movies with it.
You really should get something thats compatible with things today and for that you need the HDCP 2.2 certification. If that means you have to wait a little more to save up a little more or find the right deal its worth it.

Yes i mean 530, it has hdcp? But what if, i would use ps4 as a player, then i dont need receiver with all those features? Sorry for stupid questions coming from over the ocean

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Yes i mean 530, it has hdcp? But what if, i would use ps4 as a player, then i dont need receiver with all those features? Sorry for stupid questions coming from over the ocean
The 530 would be good, it has all the new features so when you get 4k sources you will be able to enjoy them.
Im from Europe and there are lots of people from around the world on these forums :)
A quick question, your new 4k tv, it has HDCP 2.2 also?

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Can playstation 4 be used as source ? Yes my tv is with all features 2018 model, i spent all my budget on it, now i think i should go on balance between video and audio quality

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Can playstation 4 be used as source ? Yes my tv is with all features 2018 model, i spent all my budget on it, now i think i should go on balance between video and audio quality
Yes the ps4 is a good source. And it was good to get a new real 4k tv with all the needed features. All you need now is a reciever like the denon 530 and you are in great shape.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis