Amplifier or receiver for home theater?

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
I just wired everything, soon i will buy new receiver. So wanted to hear how my speakers sound, so i plugged old harman kardon avr 100 amplifier which my father bought 20 years ago and we watched first surround movie together. So suddenly I started to dance like crazy and cry like a baby, because i felt soo fckg good... i shared this true story because im emotional right now. And i will spend my last money on denon 530 because its much more fun to dance and listen music, than to eat like a king. Water and bread diet coming guys. Thank you for helping me

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I just wired everything, soon i will buy new receiver. So wanted to hear how my speakers sound, so i plugged old harman kardon avr 100 amplifier which my father bought 20 years ago and we watched first surround movie together. So suddenly I started to dance like crazy and cry like a baby, because i felt soo fckg good... i shared this true story because im emotional right now. And i will spend my last money on denon 530 because its much more fun to dance and listen music, than to eat like a king. Water and bread diet coming guys. Thank you for helping me
Sounds like you enjoyed yourself a lot :)
If the old harman kardon worked well you can use that while you save up a while so you can eat a little better lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
So in this scenario, where you just playing the front two speakers in stereo?
If so, I'm glad to hear you were so happy with your speakers in that large room.
The Denon should improve things by adding the subwoofer, center and surrounds.
One thing to pay attention to is the sound quality! I suspect over time you will be turning up the volume to try to better fill your large room.
Your speakers are what we would generally call a satellite-sub system or a better than average home theater in a box. H-K makes nice stuff, but I suspect those speakers cannot get too loud before they start to distort (they definitely aren't designed for a 40 sq. meter room). So just be alert to where your speakers reach their limits. Over-driving them will lead to damage, and I gather you want to keep them working until you are ready to replace them on your own terms (not because they failed prematurely)!
Enjoy!

Last edited:
D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
So in this scenario, where you just playing the front two speakers in stereo?
If so, I'm glad to hear you were so happy with your speakers in that large room.
The Denon should improve things by adding the subwoofer, center and surrounds.
One thing to pay attention to is the sound quality! I suspect over time you will be turning up the volume to try to better fill your large room.
Your speakers are what we would generally call a satellite-sub system or a better than average home theater in a box. H-K makes nice stuff, but I suspect those speakers cannot get too loud before they start to distort (they definitely aren't designed for a 40 sq. meter room). So just be alert to where your speakers reach their limits. Over-driving them will lead to damage, and I gather you want to keep them working until you are ready to replace them on your own terms (not because they failed prematurely)!
Enjoy!
I playes dolby pro logic played 4speakers +subwoofer without center. Honestly i didnt put sound to the maximum because it was briliant soundtrack which wouldnt need as much sound, but quality was pretty good, it was clear, maybe a little bit flat, but then i put some subwoofer for help, i think when the center speaker will join it will be enough for my euphoria - for now. And sure i will go to the max to see how they can sound, but for now, to have this kind of pleasure room, for me its a heaven... and i forgot to mention that i have old sony system its 9.1 speakers, infinity called, they are maybe one metre tall, and if there will be no sound i will try to hook them up too. But as i said for me after listening everything on headphones, these mid level HK speakers are a bleasing :) thank you for honest support

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is not clear. Are you saying you have an older Sony system and have larger Infinity speakers?
Infinity is a branch of Harman Kardon and have made some excellent speakers over the years.
If these are Infinity speakers, please provide model numbers so we can determine how they compare with the HK system!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
And dont go max volume, it might damage the speakers and or amp.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
It is not clear. Are you saying you have an older Sony system and have larger Infinity speakers?
Infinity is a branch of Harman Kardon and have made some excellent speakers over the years.
If these are Infinity speakers, please provide model numbers so we can determine how they compare with the HK system!
Infinity 255 and there is active subwoofer sa wm40 and speakers deom sony ss sr490. For me sadly it says nothing google might help. But as i can remember from these speakers sound , things went down from shelfs. I might take few of them , but i have 60squares room for them and i want to keep them here, but if you recommend and insist to try them, i would

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
And dont go max volume, it might damage the speakers and or amp.

But how if the amp produces more Wats that speakers? Dumb question, but i need explanation

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Back to the topic of receivers. I found the guy which has not the denon avr 530bt but 520bt i checked the diference and i found not much. One bad thing that it has not original remote, good thing that the price is about 180$ which is low. Buut he has yamaha rx v377 with orinal remote. If we could look to specs. Which one would win?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The yamaha v377 looks like an older model without hdcp 2.2 (needed) or other features. No remote can be bad, it depends on your options i suppose, but the denon has the features you need.

Last edited:
L

Leemix

Audioholic General
But how if the amp produces more Wats that speakers? Dumb question, but i need explanation
You cant really have a too powerful amp, its the volume played at and when the amp clips the signal that matters. A less powerful amp will clip a signal sooner then a more stable powerful amp and thats what damages the speakers in most cases. So with a very powerful and stable amp you can play louder safer but all speakers have their physical/mechanical limits.

Edit: im not talking 100w vs 150w recievers here, thats very little difference in what speakers can handle. And always be a bit careful with the volume control.

Last edited:
D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
The yamaha v377 looks like an older model without hdcp 2.2 (needed) or other features. No remote can be bad, it depends on your options i suppose, but the denon has the features you need.

I just cheked and saw that on amazon i can get new denon 510bt. And i think i can get any of them from ebay or amazon and i would have it new.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
You cant really have a too powerful amp, its the volume played at and when the amp clips the signal that matters. A less powerful amp will clip a signal sooner then a more stable powerful amp and thats what damages the speakers in most cases. So with a very powerful and stable amp you can play louder safer but all speakers have their physical/mechanical limits.

How to tell that the amp is powerful?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
The 510 and 520 look very similar, i dont know what the difference is but they have real 4k compatability.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
How to tell that the amp is powerful?
Thats a big topic and usually independent benchmarks that show the real power output 20hz-20khz 8ohm both/all channels is preferred.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Infinity 255 and there is active subwoofer sa wm40 and speakers deom sony ss sr490. For me sadly it says nothing google might help. But as i can remember from these speakers sound , things went down from shelfs. I might take few of them , but i have 60squares room for them and i want to keep them here, but if you recommend and insist to try them, i would
Is 60squares 60 square meters?
I am not familiar with the 255's. I think they are also called the SM 255. Do they look like this?

Among the info I found on it was one site where a couple of people said they weren't very good and another where several people said they were great, but only if you had a large room for them.
Surprisingly, I think the sole review on Amazon is the best overall summary!
This from a Robert C. Babcock:
For a person that listens to rock, heavy metal or rap, these speakers are great. If you like your music loud and clear, these speakers are tough to beat at the price listed here.
Firstly, these speakers are huge. With their 15" woofers and dual midranges, these speakers resemble a pair of coffins! Of course, size here equals high output and dynamic bass. These speakers produce a sound pressure level of over 100 dB per watt of input. In plain english, they will play very loudly w/very little power. And because they will handle a lot of power (over 200 watts per channel),they can play w/o strain at any volume you could bear to hear.
And you'd expect any speaker this large to really belt out the bass. Again, you wouldn't be wrong. No, they can't reproduce the really, really low bass, say the 20 hz region of the deeper pedals of a pipe organ. But they'll really rattle your inerds with drums and bass guitars.
The multiple drivers and dome tweeters give the 255's a real sense of ease, even with densely mixed rock played at maximum volume. They have a really lively sense of rhythm for a speaker this inexpensive.
This would likely be the best pair of speakers many music fans have ever heard. You may be very surprised by the details you've never heard before, even on CDs you've had for years.
The downside? Well, these speakers aren't really all that great for classical and other acoustic music. And while they're very dynamic, they will sound a bit muted or muffled next to a good audiophile two-way monitor. If you're old enough that you think that Limp Bizkit means you didn't wrap the bread tightly enough, look elsewhere. In other words, great rockers, but not audiophile-approved.
Hope this helps.
My take away is if you like rock/electric music, you should try these just to see how they strike you. Unlike your smaller HK's the SM 255 should casually fill your large room (assuming they are in good working condition) and is efficient enough that either the HK or the Denon can drive them louder than you would want to listen.
They sound like they'd be pretty decent at HT.

My only concern with the HK system is they are small speakers in a large room. The SM 255 most certainly resolves that. You might try them out to give you an idea of their potential.
However, if I understand what you are saying, you are happy using the Infinities in another, larger room. So I would look at the temporary test as a way to experience a speaker with more SPL capability and no concern of over-driving them.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Thats a big topic and usually independent benchmarks that show the real power output 20hz-20khz 8ohm both/all channels is preferred.

So i would stay with denon 520 i think it has 6-12ohm does it mean this is good amp?

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Is 60squares 60 square meters?
I am not familiar with the 255's. I think they are also called the SM 255. Do they look like this?

Among the info I found on it was one site where a couple of people said they weren't very good and another where several people said they were great, but only if you had a large room for them.
Surprisingly, I think the sole review on Amazon is the best overall summary!
This from a Robert C. Babcock:

My take away is if you like rock/electric music, you should try these just to see how they strike you. Unlike your smaller HK's the SM 255 should casually fill your large room (assuming they are in good working condition) and is efficient enough that either the HK or the Denon can drive them louder than you would want to listen.
They sound like they'd be pretty decent at HT.

My only concern with the HK system is they are small speakers in a large room. The SM 255 most certainly resolves that. You might try them out to give you an idea of their potential.
However, if I understand what you are saying, you are happy using the Infinities in another, larger room. So I would look at the temporary test as a way to experience a speaker with more SPL capability and no concern of over-driving them.
Yes these which you found, i assure you that in large room they sound great, but for that 40sq metres room they would be too big. Maybe i could try to take few smaller sony speakers, but first i will buy denon, i play really good movie and we will see how it goes. I think it would be enough. For me there is only one concern, why front speakers play more louder than back speakers, is it because they should go like that? Or it depends on amp surr settings.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
So i would stay with denon 520 i think it has 6-12ohm does it mean this is good amp?
Ohm is a measure of resistance in the speakers when they play and it varies some with frequency. The denon 520 is good for the price but its a budget model so its not powerful, it will play well though. Most of the time for movies/music very few Watts are needed, its only for big explosions/earthquakes and such that a lot of power can be used. A speaker crossover at 100hz or so will let the subwoofer do most of the work and the reciever wont be strained much which might be a good setting for the speaker set you are using.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Ohm is a measure of resistance in the speakers when they play and it varies some with frequency. The denon 520 is good for the price but its a budget model so its not powerful, it will play well though. Most of the time for movies/music very few Watts are needed, its only for big explosions/earthquakes and such that a lot of power can be used. A speaker crossover at 100hz or so will let the subwoofer do most of the work and the reciever wont be strained much which might be a good setting for the speaker set you are using.

Now i understand a little, but how to set the speakers for doing that.? I have only one concern about that denon, is this amp will have all the features , not super high end,but with 4k tv to watch movies on surround, and to watch good quality movies as blu rays dvds, play ps4.
P.S. What cables is a must have for best sound/video quality. Im not talking about basic wires. But about hdmi, optical.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis