Amplifier or receiver for home theater?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Now i understand a little, but how to set the speakers for doing that.? I have only one concern about that denon, is this amp will have all the features , not super high end,but with 4k tv to watch movies on surround, and to watch good quality movies as blu rays dvds, play ps4.
You set the crossover in the reciever, most new recievers have a helpful more or less auto setup. If a reciever has hdcp 2.2 it should be fully 4k compatible.
The rear channel volume is also set in the reciever and how much/loud the sound coming from them depends on settings and what movie/game you are playing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding the impedance switch on a receiver try this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

The Denon 520 according to the manual is rated for 6-16 ohm speakers, see not even a dynamic power rating for lower impedance than 6 ohm. I wouldn't expect to use with 4ohm speakers but at low or modest volume without having issues, high volume could send it into self-protect mode. Many speakers rated 6 or 8 ohm can dip below those ratings, too (as mentioned it varies with frequency). I'd go a bit further up the Denon product line for a more powerful power supply and 4 ohm compatibility.
Depends on the speakers you're going to use, though....

Here's an article on speaker impedance in detail https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-impedance-electrical-phase/page-2

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Regarding the impedance switch on a receiver try this article https://www.audioholics.com/audio-amplifier/impedance-selector-switch-1

The Denon 520 according to the manual is rated for 6-16 ohm speakers, see not even a dynamic power rating for lower impedance than 6 ohm. I wouldn't expect to use with 4ohm speakers but at low or modest volume without having issues, high volume could send it into self-protect mode. Many speakers rated 6 or 8 ohm can dip below those ratings, too (as mentioned it varies with frequency). I'd go a bit further up the Denon product line for a more powerful power supply and 4 ohm compatibility.
Depends on the speakers you're going to use, though....

Here's an article on speaker impedance in detail https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/understanding-impedance-electrical-phase/page-2
My speakers are 8ohm so maybe they match each other..

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
You set the crossover in the reciever, most new recievers have a helpful more or less auto setup. If a reciever has hdcp 2.2 it should be fully 4k compatible.
The rear channel volume is also set in the reciever and how much/loud the sound coming from them depends on settings and what movie/game you are playing.

But for full 4k watching i need those 800$ worth players? Or there is any chance to watch it in another way?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
But for full 4k watching i need those 800$ worth players? Or there is any chance to watch it in another way?
There are a 4k blu-ray players in many price ranges, and you dont have to get one right now, almost better to wait a bit on a player and use your ps4 for normal blu-ray/dvd movies. Getting a fully compatible reciever now is more about not having to replace it way too soon, future proofing, its usually a lot more expensive to get a too old model and replace it within a year or so instead of using a new piece of equipment for years.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
There are a 4k blu-ray players in many price ranges, and you dont have to get one right now, almost better to wait a bit on a player and use your ps4 for normal blu-ray/dvd movies. Getting a fully compatible reciever now is more about not having to replace it way too soon, future proofing, its usually a lot more expensive to get a too old model and replace it within a year or so instead of using a new piece of equipment for years.

Do you know any budget level model? Which i could find in ebay or amazon

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If you dont have a lot of 4k blu-ray movies already i would wait with a player for it, much better to spend the money on a reciever. Its still very early in 4k discs and they are not much different from normal blu-ray, so better to focus on just the reciever for now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like my Sony ubp-x800. Should be around $200. The more recent model is Sony x700. Just search for 4K players on amazon and read the customer reviews.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My speakers are 8ohm so maybe they match each other..
8 ohm nominal doesn't mean they don't dip lower than that, some do quite a bit, others don't and depends where it dips as to how big a load it represents....it may not be a worry at all, tho.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
Just came back with denon so happy to watch new movie. And i cant do it because i dont have optical cables ha ha awkward. As i understand optical cable and hdmi is the best connection between amp and tv? There is something to know about them before buying them?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Just came back with denon so happy to watch new movie. And i cant do it because i dont have optical cables ha ha awkward. As i understand optical cable and hdmi is the best connection between amp and tv? There is something to know about them before buying them?
Use hdmi

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
You should use hdmi from your sources to the reciever then a hdmi from reciever to the tv

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want audio via HDMI you'll use ARC and may need to use specific ports on the avr/tv and turn on hdmi features in each to enable....but optical currently offers the same lossy audio (ARC doesn't pass the lossless codecs like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA, usually not an issue for tv-based audio, tho.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
So if i want to watch just youtube through tv and sound through speakers i need 2 hdmi cables? No need of optical?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So if i want to watch just youtube through tv and sound through speakers i need 2 hdmi cables? No need of optical?
No, just the single hdmi cable in the right ports/settings turned on. It's (ARC, that is) the Audio Return Channel (normally audio is not a two way thing with hdmi).

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Only one between tv and reciever. You will use the HDMI Audio Return Channel which sends sound from tv when you use the tv as source to the reciever. Make sure the reciever and tv have ARC(can be other names) enabled and the input on the reciever needs to be «TV»

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
There is hdmi out on receiver monitor4k, hdmi in cbl/sat, blu ray, game, media player, dvd blu ray.. which one?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
There is hdmi out on receiver monitor4k, hdmi in cbl/sat, blu ray, game, media player, dvd blu ray.. which one?
Hdmi out goes to the tv.
The inputs are good to connect according to name, ps4 to game, cable/satelite box to cbl/sat etc.

D

Dolby atmaz

Audioholic Intern
So i did like you told me, then on receiver i set tv audio, i choose on the sound hdmi arc. And silence...

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
So i did like you told me, then on receiver i set tv audio, i choose on the sound hdmi arc. And silence...
Tv audio i think sends signal through to tv and bypass the reciever so turn it off

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis