Amplifier Distortion

W

West164

Audiophyte
Hi, new here. Let me begin by saying I have very little knowledge when it comes to amps and speakers and looking for some help. I'm making a Bluetooth speaker with this amplifier board:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I9KV7F4/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(TDA7492P 2x50W)

I know it's not anything amazing, but I want to try getting the best possible sound quality/volume I can out of it. It has 50W per channel, but I'm using 8 ohm speakers so I assume it is 25W (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm putting 12v into it, which is on the lower end of what it is allowed to take so I'm not getting near the full wattage out of it. I bought some sets of bookshelf speakers from goodwill and have been switching trying to find which give the better results. I don't know the proper speakers for it, which is why I'm probably having some issues. One set is the Sanyo st-95 (8 ohms, can't find specs) , another is JVC SP-D402 (3-way, 6 ohms, capacity 80W, 87dB/W), and finally soundesign 0657blk (2-way, nominal 3W, 8 ohm, 90dB/W). I probably left out some info so please ask if I forgot anything.

No matter which speakers I use, I can't get above about half volume without distortion, or possibly clipping. I tried putting them into my lepai-2020A+ and all speakers sound good at high volume.

My question is what causes clipping (or distortion)? Not sure if those 2 terms are similar. I've read it can be from a lack of power, but both have the same input voltage but the TDA7492P has 50W and the lepai has 25W, so I have no idea why the sound quality goes with the higher volume. If i have a power supply of 24v 4-5A, would this fix my problem? As you can see I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I love tinkering with this stuff and want to learn. Any help is greatly appreciated.

led zed

led zed

Audiophyte
I don’t either with those little amps, but for anything else YouTube is a good place for sourcing info.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, new here. Let me begin by saying I have very little knowledge when it comes to amps and speakers and looking for some help. I'm making a Bluetooth speaker with this amplifier board:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I9KV7F4/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(TDA7492P 2x50W)

I know it's not anything amazing, but I want to try getting the best possible sound quality/volume I can out of it. It has 50W per channel, but I'm using 8 ohm speakers so I assume it is 25W (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm putting 12v into it, which is on the lower end of what it is allowed to take so I'm not getting near the full wattage out of it. I bought some sets of bookshelf speakers from goodwill and have been switching trying to find which give the better results. I don't know the proper speakers for it, which is why I'm probably having some issues. One set is the Sanyo st-95 (8 ohms, can't find specs) , another is JVC SP-D402 (3-way, 6 ohms, capacity 80W, 87dB/W), and finally soundesign 0657blk (2-way, nominal 3W, 8 ohm, 90dB/W). I probably left out some info so please ask if I forgot anything.

No matter which speakers I use, I can't get above about half volume without distortion, or possibly clipping. I tried putting them into my lepai-2020A+ and all speakers sound good at high volume.

My question is what causes clipping (or distortion)? Not sure if those 2 terms are similar. I've read it can be from a lack of power, but both have the same input voltage but the TDA7492P has 50W and the lepai has 25W, so I have no idea why the sound quality goes with the higher volume. If i have a power supply of 24v 4-5A, would this fix my problem? As you can see I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I love tinkering with this stuff and want to learn. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Look at its output with a higher voltage power supply- many amps of this type preform better with higher voltage and computer power supplies are very popular for this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis