ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
I am looking at buying an amp to take the workload off my receiver. It runs too warm for my liking and moving to separates in the future anyway.

So for the theater I think I would like to run the larger speakers (5) at around 200w into 8 ohms.

The remaining 6 at 100w or so. This will be later as I only have one birthday this year....

I looked at emotiva(I already have a couple of these), monolith, and outlaw. The outlaw 5000 has good reviews and is substantially cheaper.
Am I making this harder then I need to?

P.S. Canadian

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you assuming larger speakers need more power? It's usually the opposite. Depends on a few things like distance, sensitivity, content to be played, etc....otoh the Monolith 5000 might work just fine for your purposes :) Or go pro amps and put the savings to use with even more power.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Instead of guessing, you can calculate it.

Think of your current and potentially any future speakers and their sensitivities. Now think of their distances to the listening positions. With that you can easily calculate how much power you'd need to achieve your listening SPL and what it would take to allow +10db and +13db headroom/transient peaks. Target that number with your purchase.

Very best,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis