Amp with existing receiver?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm using HDMI out on the Sony Blu-Ray. On the specific AVR input, I then select Pure/Direct.
Then your avr can manipulate signal as you wish, if you prefer the "pure direct" vs other settings, go for it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm using HDMI out on the Sony Blu-Ray. On the specific AVR input, I then select Pure/Direct.
Why that particular sound mode? That more than anything just turns off the panel light....

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
Why that particular sound mode? That more than anything just turns off the panel light....
So I can listen to it the way it was recorded. When it comes to music, aren't we after purity?

Direct sound mode

Sound mode type

Description

Direct

This mode plays back audio as recorded in the source.

Pure Direct

This mode plays back an even higher quality sound than the “Direct” mode.
The following circuits are stopped in order to further improve sound quality.

Display indicator circuit of the main body (display will go off.)

The analog video input/output switcher and processor is disabled.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I can listen to it the way it was recorded. When it comes to music, aren't we after purity?

Direct sound mode

Sound mode type

Description

Direct

This mode plays back audio as recorded in the source.

Pure Direct

This mode plays back an even higher quality sound than the “Direct” mode.
The following circuits are stopped in order to further improve sound quality.

Display indicator circuit of the main body (display will go off.)

The analog video input/output switcher and processor is disabled.
Maybe, if that's your goal and you have the very same setup that the recording was produced with :). Much of the music is produced with some manipulation/eq too. Personally I usually use a little loudness contour type EQ if not some multich dsp. Can't say that the display being off vs on has ever made any difference to me; I don't use analog video either.

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
Maybe, if that's your goal and you have the very same setup that the recording was produced with :). Much of the music is produced with some manipulation/eq too. Personally I usually use a little loudness contour type EQ if not some multich dsp. Can't say that the display being off vs on has ever made any difference to me; I don't use analog video either.
Not sure how to respond to this one.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sort of. :p
I would say that we are after reproducing the recorded event as faithfully as possible.
Is that Pure? ;)
Defeating room correction if you are using any won't help make a recording more pure, if that room correction is fixing very inconsistent Bass frequencies below your Schroeder Frequency... So all that amazing production talent that Daft Punk and Pharrell put towards the Bass Line in Get Lucky is lost on sloppy room acoustics? :)
Since you are defeating your Subs... what happens to the ambience of the recording before Margo starts singing Digging For Gold on the Trinity Sessions? Or Buddy Guy and Done Got Old: true it doesn't NEED a sub, but the sub adds Gravitas.

:D

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
I have had the 5-channel speakers running through the Parasound 5250 V2 for a while now. The only discernable difference is the volume level needed to be lowered to maintain typical listening levels, compared to using the Marantz AVR.

*the gain levels on the rear of the Parasound have remained in the neutral position

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have had the 5-channel speakers running through the Parasound 5250 V2 for a while now. The only discernable difference is the volume level needed to be lowered to maintain typical listening levels, compared to using the Marantz AVR.

*the gain levels on the rear of the Parasound have remained in the neutral position
You didn't recalibrate the avr for the external amp?

9397SVTs

9397SVTs

Audioholic
Yes. I ran Audyssey after switching over.

I know it doesn't make sense, but it's what I noticed.

The change wasn't a lot.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis