Amp with existing receiver?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, if I'm following, something like this would be a good path?

Canton SL 596.2 for Front Left and Right (with the free center as center)
Denon AVR3700H receiver (in place of my onkyo)
Outboard Amp for Front three (DefTech Promonitor 800 rear and front upper surrounds remain on AVR for power)
Iirc those are 4 ohm speakers so depends on your seating distance and spl requirements you may need an external power amp to assist the AVR-X3700H.

By the way, ASR has just bench tested the AVR-X3700H and the reviewer reported that he had Denon signed off on it today so you can expect the results to be published tomorrow.

Is there a Marantz and Yamaha AVR that is similar to the 3700?
Yes, the SR6015 is the equivalent Marantz model. The SR6014 would be the almost the same except the missing 2020 only features. Based on bench test results, the AVR-X3600H measured slightly better than the $5,000 AV8805 dedicated preamp processor and much better than the $2,200 AV7705 and the SR6014.

So if the AVR-X3700H measures as good as the AVR-X3600H, it would be among the best measured AVR and AV preamp/processors ever measured by ASR. That is unless you need balanced connections.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. No on the long runs at this time. Just wanted it for future-proofing. I've had xlr connections in the past and prefer the simplicity as well. But its not an absolute need I guess.
I don't know how XLR is simpler? Either way I wouldn't get hung up on or increase the budget for it unless you have unusually long runs.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a Marantz and Yamaha AVR that is similar to the 3700? I've always loved Yamaha and had one for 10 years as my main AVR. Finally moved it to another room and bought a top of the line model Denon (it was a AVR-4520CI model - just looked at my purchase history) from accessories for less and it died the month after the warranty ended.
Personally, I would stick to brand new Yamaha since Yamaha might be the most reliable.

I think most people would look at the RX-A1080 or RX-A2080.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Iirc those are 4 ohm speakers so depends on your seating distance and spl requirements you may need an external power amp to assist the AVR-X3700H.

By the way, ASR has just bench tested the AVR-X3700H and the reviewer reported that he had Denon signed off on it today so you can expect the results to be published tomorrow.

Yes, the SR6015 is the equivalent Marantz model. The SR6014 would be the almost the same except the missing 2020 only features. Based on bench test results, the AVR-X3600H measured slightly better than the $5,000 AV8805 dedicated preamp processor and much better than the $2,200 AV7705 and the SR6014.

So if the AVR-X3700H measures as good as the AVR-X3600H, it would be among the best measured AVR and AV preamp/processors ever measured by ASR. That is unless you need balanced connections.
Thanks for the correction, I should have checked to see if the 6015 was out before I suggested the 6014 as equivalent to the 3700!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the correction, I should have checked to see if the 6015 was out before I suggested the 6014 as equivalent to the 3700!
Actually I didn't even know you had suggested that lol..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I was just looking at the 3080. I like that it has XLR input and XLR main speaker output, but not for all channels unfortunately. But that looks like a great unit.
I'm actually using the XLR Outputs on my RX-A3080 AVR!

I mean we see people use XLR all the time on separates like preamps and pre-pros, but not on AVR.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I'm actually using the XLR Outputs on my RX-A3080 AVR!

I mean we see people use XLR all the time on separates like preamps and pre-pros, but not on AVR.
I just like them for future usage purposes. I don't have an immediate use other than I could connect my Marantz UD7007 to it via XLR, or if I get a higher end 4k player it might have them. But also for adding front end amps. Wish they had one for the center as well. Seems you would want to outboard amp the front 3 with an AVR and let it power all the others. But I guess taking the front two off gives the AVR some extra headroom.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I just like them for future usage purposes. I don't have an immediate use other than I could connect my Marantz UD7007 to it via XLR, or if I get a higher end 4k player it might have them. But also for adding front end amps. Wish they had one for the center as well. Seems you would want to outboard amp the front 3 with an AVR and let it power all the others. But I guess taking the front two off gives the AVR some extra headroom.
Yeah, I really never thought I would be using XLR for anything on an AVR.

I use XLR for all my outputs (9 speakers and 10 subs) on my Yamaha CX-A5100 pre-pro, but didn't think I would use XLR on any AVR.

And in terms of power usage, the main Front L/R speakers probably use the most power after the Subs.

No doubt, the idea for the XLR Front L/R was for people who wanted an Analog Media Player with XLR L/R outputs and 2Ch Amps with XLR L/R Inputs for their 2CH Stereo Music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Or just that people in 2ch world paricularly seem to assign some magical qualities to xlr....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
We can keep flocking AVRs, but ASR just measured another $1,199 AVR that beats all the separates measured on the same bench.

Note: The $4,999 RMC-1 is shown on top rank by HDMI input SINAD, with 100 dB SINAD (0.001% THD+N), but that's just one test and one single point of the curve. If you look at the overall picture and the Pre-out voltage between the full 0 to 2 V range, the 3 Denon AVRs are actually on top.

This has nothing to do with bias, fans or foes, just facts and figures. If AVRs measured only half as good as prepros in the <$3,000 range, I would serious consider go back to one in my next purchase.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up spending my budget for right now on Canton 596.2 front stage speakers with the free 556.2 center. Will have to wait a bit on the amp/receiver front, but will regroup once I have the budge in place again for it. I've been looking with interest at possibly an emotive 5 channel xpa-5 amp and one of their xmc-1 refurbished processors (initially). The idea being to get these now and later add an xpa-2 and eventually a more current processor from them or other vendor. But, it would get me nice amps with a workable processor initially.

Of course I may end up with an AVR like a 3600/3700 or something as suggested above also. :)

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up spending my budget for right now on Canton 596.2 front stage speakers with the free 556.2 center. Will have to wait a bit on the amp/receiver front, but will regroup once I have the budge in place again for it. I've been looking with interest at possibly an emotive 5 channel xpa-5 amp and one of their xmc-1 refurbished processors (initially). The idea being to get these now and later add an xpa-2 and eventually a more current processor from them or other vendor. But, it would get me nice amps with a workable processor initially.

Of course I may end up with an AVR like a 3600/3700 or something as suggested above also. :)
Another amp to consider is the Monoprice Monolith series. Built by ATI, unless you can spring for the ATI NCore series. This if you end up needing one.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
I was just looking at the monolith 7 channel. It's on my radar also. :)

Thanks.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Those Canton's will only sound good with this

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Those Canton's will only sound good with this

Why stop there? Get a hybrid, one tube section for the mids and highs, and solid state for the woofer...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just looking at the monolith 7 channel. It's on my radar also. :)

Thanks.
I have one. Built like a tank, quiet, great sound, not ugly, never felt it get hot and no matter what speakers I end up with I know my power needs are handled. It's frickin' heavy tho!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We can keep flocking AVRs, but ASR just measured another $1,199 AVR that beats all the separates measured on the same bench.

Note: The $4,999 RMC-1 is shown on top rank by HDMI input SINAD, with 100 dB SINAD (0.001% THD+N), but that's just one test and one single point of the curve. If you look at the overall picture and the Pre-out voltage between the full 0 to 2 V range, the 3 Denon AVRs are actually on top.

This has nothing to do with bias, fans or foes, just facts and figures. If AVRs measured only half as good as prepros in the <$3,000 range, I would serious consider go back to one in my next purchase.
As we've mentioned before, if companies like Denon and Emotiva know exactly what Amir measures, they will make sure all their components (AVR, AVP) measure well. We can be sure all the Denon and Emo in the future will have the best SINAD, THD, etc.

It just becomes a numbers game.

Back then, companies made sure their components measured well for Stereophile, S&V, and AH. Now they will make sure their components measure well for ASR and AH.

But again, newbies need to understand that we cannot hear the difference between the best 0.001% THD (SINAD 100dB) vs one of the worst 0.03% THD (SINAD 70dB). :D

Last edited:
M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I wonder where that unit ASR tested came from...
Did it come from a Denon insider and was pre-tweaked... :rolleyes:
Measured specs were excellent, I wonder what an average production unit measures...
It would be interesting to send ASR another unit selected from random stock, and then compare.. :)

Just my $0.02... ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder where that unit ASR tested came from...
Did it come from a Denon insider and was pre-tweaked... :rolleyes:
Measured specs were excellent, I wonder what an average production unit measures...
It would be interesting to send ASR another unit selected from random stock, and then compare.. :)

Just my $0.02... ;)
One of the ASR members like the review indicated....and the member often pops up in the ensuing thread.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis