Amp to Expand System

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I have never found a need to do that because after running setup the unit always levelled matched to within 0.5 dB. You can check it just to see, it doesn't take long to do. Be sure to place your Umik-1 mic in the same position where you placed the Audyssey mic during setup.
Got it!

I always thought REW was a tool to attempt to enhance the sound but it seems like it's more used for confirmation. Am I off on that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
REW has the ability to suggest and implement certain equalization if you have the right hardware. With most avrs that is not feasible as modern avrs no longer incorporate a processing or tape loop to accommodate generally except for the sub. Possibly you could insert something like a miniDSP in between the pre-outs and an external power amp or just between a particular input source and the avr. I've also had good experience with Audyssey setting up levels/delays, so using a mic/REW I haven't found particularly to be an advantage for setting such.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Got it!

I always thought REW was a tool to attempt to enhance the sound but it seems like it's more used for confirmation. Am I off on that?
As HD said you could use REW to do EQ but would have to add an external device such as mindsp, Behringer's etc.
I don't see any point because to me Audyssey+the Editor App can do a better job anyway so why spend the money on another device and a spaghetti junction with wires everywhere. That being said, some people claimed if they have 4 subwoofers, then need to use something like the minidsp+REW to time aligned and EQ the subwoofers. I still don't see the need if you have Audyssey XT32 SubEQHT and the app but that's just my opinion. For those who use YPAO or AARC then I guess may be they do need to do something such as the minidsp to time aligned and EQ more than 2 or more subwoofers.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
As HD said you could use REW to do EQ but would have to add an external device such as mindsp, Behringer's etc.
I don't see any point because to me Audyssey+the Editor App can do a better job anyway so why spend the money on another device and a spaghetti junction with wires everywhere. That being said, some people claimed if they have 4 subwoofers, then need to use something like the minidsp+REW to time aligned and EQ the subwoofers. I still don't see the need if you have Audyssey XT32 SubEQHT and the app but that's just my opinion. For those who use YPAO or AARC then I guess may be they do need to do something such as the minidsp to time aligned and EQ more than 2 or more subwoofers.
I like your style PENG! The less work the better.

My system sounds great and I'm happy with it and it sounds like they're no need to use REW.

I'm still in the return window for the UMIK-1, should I return it?

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
REW has the ability to suggest and implement certain equalization if you have the right hardware. With most avrs that is not feasible as modern avrs no longer incorporate a processing or tape loop to accommodate generally except for the sub. Possibly you could insert something like a miniDSP in between the pre-outs and an external power amp or just between a particular input source and the avr. I've also had good experience with Audyssey setting up levels/delays, so using a mic/REW I haven't found particularly to be an advantage for setting such.
Yeah I think I'm going to stick with what Audessey already did to the system.

How do you know what's the right level for bass on the PB 2000 Pro app?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I think I'm going to stick with what Audessey already did to the system.

How do you know what's the right level for bass on the PB 2000 Pro app?
The general advice is start with gain on your sub somewhere in the middle, run the sub setup and then use the sub level feature in Audyssey to see if you need to make an adjustment on the sub's gain before proceeding....couldn't tell you a likely starting point for that particular sub/amp.....if in the end the sub trim level is set by the avr to -12 then the gain on the sub is too high, you need to turn it down some and re-run it. Anything from -11 to -5 is what I aim at (to allow a bit of boost later).

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
The general advice is start with gain on your sub somewhere in the middle, run the sub setup and then use the sub level feature in Audyssey to see if you need to make an adjustment on the sub's gain before proceeding....couldn't tell you a likely starting point for that particular sub/amp.....if in the end the sub trim level is set by the avr to -12 then the gain on the sub is too high, you need to turn it down some and re-run it. Anything from -11 to -5 is what I aim at (to allow a bit of boost later).
I found out the hard way on thy trim level for the bass ending at -12 after Audessey. The last time I ran it I didn't set the sub level to the middle because I had done that before and it pushed the trim to -12. So the end result of the last audyssey was -0.5. And after calibration I set the sub level volume of the sub app to -15. I really like the way it sounds but not sure if that's correct.

What are your thoughts on that?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I found out the hard way on thy trim level for the bass ending at -12 after Audessey. The last time I ran it I didn't set the sub level to the middle because I had done that before and it pushed the trim to -12. So the end result of the last audyssey was -0.5. And after calibration I set the sub level volume of the sub app to -15. I really like the way it sounds but not sure if that's correct.

What are your thoughts on that?
I couldn't tell you how the settings in the app might relate, you at least do not mention the sub app beginning level before changing it to -15? What's the scale?

I generally do not make adjustments to the sub's amp gain level once I set it in the avr, I make any increases/decreases in the avr. I generally add 2-3 dB to sub level trim in the avr and leave it there...but sometimes, altho rarely, revert to the base setting, depends on content..... altho in the end if what you've got set is pleasing, go for it.

P

Project SOG

Audioholic
I couldn't tell you how the settings in the app might relate, you at least do not mention the sub app beginning level before changing it to -15? What's the scale?

I generally do not make adjustments to the sub's amp gain level once I set it in the avr, I make any increases/decreases in the avr. I generally add 2-3 dB to sub level trim in the avr and leave it there...but sometimes, altho rarely, revert to the base setting, depends on content..... altho in the end if what you've got set is pleasing, go for it.
I like that,v that's very good advice!

The scale is -60 to 0 lol. My bass is probably overkill

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis