Amp/Pre amp better sound quality?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
So basically i should just get an amp with enough power for my speakers recommended power?
1.) Treat your room the best you can accounting for WAF. If Mac gear is on your radar then you should have a budget to do anything possible. Research some youtube videos on this.

2.) Buy the best speakers you have showroomed for your budget. Don't worry what exotic cables, amps or separates are connected in the show room. However, insist on your preferred source (CD, streaming, etc)

3.) By 16-12 AWG OFC lamp zip speaker wire, unless you're buying on looks only. Twisted pair wire might take out a humm in your set up if one is there. It's also the only "feature" that I've seen pass a blind ABX test, and then only once. I bought some Monster Cable twisted pair on 75% off. I wish I bought two spools because it looks cool too.

4.) Get am AVR with pre-outs, Denon X4200 for example, and if the power from that AVR is within 75% of RMS of your speakers then you're good to go. If you listen really loud (and you shouldn't) or if you have low ohm dips in your speakers (see measurements) then find a good solid state amp (Emotiva, Outlaw etc)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
trEs2b,
What everybody is telling you is that neither can improve sound quality. The sound quality is determined by your source, (CD, Pandora, FM, etc). No component in your system can improve it... they can only diminish or alter it.
Well said..

Now some alterations may be pleasurable to the listener, like Audyssey Dynamic EQ. But that is a subjective, not an actual improvement. So your question is really, "Does a preamp or amp diminish the sound quality more?". The answer is, "Whichever is the weak link in your chain".
Practically speaking you could well be right, but technically DEQ is more for boosting the lower band to match the average person's typical hearing characteristics at relatively lower listening level. At "reference" level it should have no intentional effect.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
this thread could potentially be saving me thousands of dollars.

I was getting different advice on different forums about buying good cables and power cords

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
1.) Treat your room the best you can accounting for WAF. If Mac gear is on your radar then you should have a budget to do anything possible. Research some youtube videos on this.

2.) Buy the best speakers you have showroomed for your budget. Don't worry what exotic cables, amps or separates are connected in the show room. However, insist on your preferred source (CD, streaming, etc)

3.) By 16-12 AWG OFC lamp zip speaker wire, unless you're buying on looks only. Twisted pair wire might take out a humm in your set up if one is there. It's also the only "feature" that I've seen pass a blind ABX test, and then only once. I bought some Monster Cable twisted pair on 75% off. I wish I bought two spools because it looks cool too.

4.) Get am AVR with pre-outs, Denon X4200 for example, and if the power from that AVR is within 75% of RMS of your speakers then you're good to go. If you listen really loud (and you shouldn't) or if you have low ohm dips in your speakers (see measurements) then find a good solid state amp (Emotiva, Outlaw etc)
Tidal is my main source with a tiny amount of iTunes.

What's the best way to connect my MAC to something like the DENONX4200?

I just made these yesterday first time GO at it.

Attachments

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Tidal is my main source with a tiny amount of iTunes.

Good work! Making DIY interconnects with non-exotic priced wiring is a good way to dress up your system if that's important to you.

Since I don't see my interconnects I took advice from KEW (on this thread) and try and scoop up deep discounted component cables on the internet. It's all the same thing, and you can either leave one cable dangle, or just peel on of the colors off (keep red for ease of hook up).

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
If you are asking whether there is a difference between unbalanced interconnects with RCA plugs or balanced interconnects with XLR plugs, the short answer is No. There are longer answers, but they result in the same No answer. For your purposes (connecting a preamp to an amp), balanced interconnects are irrelevant.

I thought you said earlier you had a Rotel amp and were thinking of getting a Mac preamp. The Denon X4200 has no XLR jacks. Does the Rotel have both RCA and XLR jacks?
Nice looking :). As you have found there is no magic in speaker cables. Making them is not rocket science. No one should spend "rocket science" amounts of money for them.
this thread could potentially be saving me thousands of dollars. I was getting different advice on different forums about buying good cables and power cords
You were getting questionable advice, and I'm glad you questioned it.

Without any doubt, speakers are "where the rubber hits the road". As long as you have enough power to drive them, without causing the amplifier to go into clipping, your electronics are doing the best they can do. And to paraphrase TLS Guy, nearly all preamps available today (including the preamp sections of AVRs) do very well. In fact, you have to work hard to find one that alters the sound – i.e. a preamp that does poorly.

Last edited:
T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
If you are asking whether there is a difference between unbalanced interconnects with RCA plugs or balanced interconnects with XLR plugs, the short answer is No. There are longer answers, but they result in the same No answer. For your purposes (connecting a preamp to an amp), balanced interconnects are irrelevant.

I thought you said earlier you had a Rotel amp and were thinking of getting a Mac preamp. The Denon X4200 has no XLR jacks. Does the Rotel have both RCA and XLR jacks?
Nice looking :). As you have found there is no magic in speaker cables. Making them is not rocket science. No should spend "rocket science" amounts of money for them.
You were getting questionable advice, and I'm glad you questioned it.

Without any doubt, speakers are "where the rubber hits the road". As long as you have enough power to drive them, without causing the amplifier to go into clipping, your electronics are doing the best they can do. And to paraphrase TLS Guy, nearly all preamps available today (including the preamp sections of AVRs) do very well. In fact, you have to work hard to find one that alters the sound – i.e. a preamp that does poorly.
balanced XLR look awesome = ]

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
The only thing exotic that has a sonic benefit are speakers, and then not always. I've heard some of the same language used in speaker manufacture marketing that is used in exotic AudioQuest cable marketing. Skin effect, batteries for capacitance etc. If you see these things, ensure that the speaker is doing what you want it do; sound great, and reject the woo talk. I do give speaker makers the benefit of the doubt because they are subject to market conditions. That's why they all have bi-amp/bi-wire terminals. Just don't pay a premium for this sort of thing.

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
Is a good DAC really needed then?

Lots of kool aid, its so good

I don't know why but i still have a bad ITCH to get good cables, MAC gear, etc..
But to to get my itch i'll just buy expensive awesome speakers and cheaper gear and mono price cables = ]

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Is a good DAC really needed then?
In the sense that you can't listen to any digital format without a DAC, yes a DAC is needed. But is there a difference in sound due to different DACs? I won't say absolutely not, but I will say that I haven't heard differences due to DACs that were other than extremely subtle. I had to work hard at listening just to notice the subtle differences, and I was not able to choose a better or worse sounding DAC. As a result, I have ignored DACs as an upgrade topic. The DACs I now have came with a B&K AV receiver, and with a Panasonic Blue Ray player.

If you have that itch, look at the beautiful speakers in the Galleries tab at Salk Signature Sound. What is the price for a pair of B&W 804s?

Last edited:
T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I just didnt know because of getting a DAC that supports DSD and DXD

Are the Salks one of the best on the market for the price?

T

trEs2b

Junior Audioholic
I would spend 10k for speakers.

I was planning on spending around 20k for a 2 channel setup
but i may just do everything for under 10k now.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I would spend 10k for speakers.

I was planning on spending around 20k for a 2 channel setup
but i may just do everything for under 10k now.
For that range, I would consider the Salk SoundScape 8 speakers as unbeatable. In my opinion, they're unbeatable regardless of price. For the standard finishes, they cost 9k plus shipping from Michigan where they're made. And if you have that itch to spend more on custom finishes (see the Galleries for what I mean), you are far better off spending money on that instead of XLR cables or exotic looking preamps.

The owner of Salk, Jim Salk, is an absolutely excellent guy to do business with. If you call or email, he answers you directly.

For a poor-man's version of these speakers, see Philharmonic Audio for the Philharmonic 3 speakers. The same guy, Dennis Murphy, designed both.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
May I also suggest Vandersteen Treo CT for 8K a pair
http://www.vandersteen.com/products/treo-ct

The Vandy Treos are the BEST sound I've heard yet for under 10k. Time and phase coherent, and carbon tweeter dome.

Others I like...

if you have a really big room, Klipsch La Scala II is a good choice for $8k a pair, but you'll need a sub.

If you have room to move your speakers a good 4 feet from the front wall, I'd suggest Magnapans, the 3.7? is like 6-8k

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis