Amp power for speaker rating.

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure it's been asked before... But how much amp can I have for a speaker.

Specifically, I'm using B&W CDM 1NT's for the front/center and 600's on the sides and 601's for the rears, along with 4 CWM 500's for the ceiling. I read multiple times that B&W's are power hungry. Documentation says recommended amplifier power is 50W-100W. It doesn't say if that's RMS or Peak.

Looking at 7 channels amps for Atmos, the Monolith is 200W and the Outlaw is 140W a channel. So this begs the question, what is the safe operating envelop of this? Where is the "danger zone" Maverick? (Even if I will never listen to them at full volume).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL you can say that again! As much as you want is the simple answer. How much you need is another based on your distance from speakers, spl level and desired headroom for peaks. Using speaker wattage ratings alone don't mean much (altho probably not a good idea to exceed them particularly, they may be melting points). Best device to prevent issues is the volume control, turn it down if in doubt. Try using an spl calculator to give you an idea on your amp needs, or the interaction among the parameters, would be one way to go http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html (notice there is no input for the speaker wattage rating/recommendations).

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
I'll checkout the link. In the end I'd love a big old red line on my volume knob that says "do not exceed" without any "opps" moments.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I been through this a lot, recently, myself. Lovin is right: LOL!!!
I'm not the expert... but you can safely double the RMS... AND!!! use your ear-brains when you are listening. ;)
Long story short... I had a VP of distribution for a UK company tell me I could put 1000w on his 250wrms-rated-speakers, as long as I paid attention and didn't crush it.
RMS is effectively a sin-wave stress test, and regular music doesn't approach that kind of abuse! If it did, my sorry @$$ would be perpetually blacked-out! :p
Jokes aside:
Use that SPL calculator! Consider that you want at least your front three on an external amp. If you are on an AVR... that can process up to 11 channels say... put 5 on external, and 6 on the AVR. Break the load down evenly and smartly. You want 7, do 3 external and 4 on the AVR. ;)

Check out Emotiva, too. I like them a little better than Mono-Mono. I went with Outlaw 2200's for my 5-channels. Gonna run 6, Rears + .4 atmos, off my AVR.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'll checkout the link. In the end I'd love a big old red line on my volume knob that says "do not exceed" without any "opps" moments.
Yeah I did lose a pair of speakers to a friend who thought it would be fun to turn the volume knob all the way clockwise on one setup I had with mucho amp power available....not sure a red line would have helped that day....beer goggles were involved.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
The safe operating range can be determined in SPL. Assuming the power handling data on the speaker is correct, power x sensitivity will give you what will clip the speaker. (in practice, it's more complex)

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
Lol. Beer goggles can be expesnive with all these Atmos channels. I'm leaning towards the outlaw 7000x for everything but the height channels.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Lol. Beer goggles can be expesnive with all these Atmos channels. I'm leaning towards the outlaw 7000x for everything but the height channels.
Ya I would let the AVR power the ceiling speakers. Maybe the surrounds too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Outlaw makes good stuff... I'm impressed with the performance of the X-13 Subs, and my Model 2200s are doing what they were meant to do. I knew people using Outlaw many moons ago and heard good things. They were true. For now, at least for amps and subs, I'm an Outlaw!
Just make certain you know how much power you need, and go for it.
Happy hunting!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis