highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Someone needs to offer cables in the names of the known Quarks, claiming that the differences are that small. The good part- the product line won't be huge and the names will be easy enough to remember- Up, Down, Top, Bottom, Charmed and Strange.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@MrBoat
I'm not at your skill level with metal or woodwork, but I do some decent work in my own niche(s).

You haven't been around long enough to see most of my stuff, but here are some threads if you are interested. You can see my skill level and difficulty level go up along the way here.....that's what it's all about!

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/xbox-one-and-360-modded-controllers.96451/

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/raspberry-pi-audiophile-streamer-kodi-streamer-arcade-cabinet-etc.103967/

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/slick-little-chip-amp-kit-and-other-project-ideas.92024/

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/completed-bottlehead-quickie-pre-amp.82513/

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, Pass is an odd duck. He has his fair share of great electronics, and his fair share of quack-job electronics too. And, he still contributes heavily to the DIY community!

We do have some other guys that contribute heavily to the commercial offerings and the DIY community too (though they don't have the odd-ball designs like Pass). But, I'm thinking of Dennis Murphy, Jeff Bagby, and Douglas Self.

If you ever think about moving towards some true reference DIY designs on the amps and electronics, Douglas Self has written several books, and his DIY products are available (but not cheap).
http://www.signaltransfer.freeuk.com/

I'm looking at eventually doing my own PCB etching, taking it down to that level!

Once you start the DIY path, you start to understand the limitations on the commercial designs, most specifically how commercial designs make design decisions and trade offs in performance in order to meet a price point. For DIY, you are not held to those same constraints.

Then, you also start to see how silly all these snake oil and magic cable believers really are! Clearly, these people don't have a clue when it comes to science, data, technology, etc, so they fall back onto voodoo science, fancy terms, and "trust your ears" :rolleyes:

Yeah, I rotate gear and speakers too, but in practice I tend to be lazy so I stick with a particular setup for quite a while before making a swap.
I am familiar with those names, at least on the surface. Bagby happens to be one of my favorite speaker designers, or, I am familiar with, or happen to favor how he tends to voice his speakers as a safe bet, at least. I like how serious he gets about is designs.

Dennis Murphy I have followed here and it's great that we get to rub elbows with these guys, which may be one of the best things about the internet. Used to be, in order to be privy to such information, you really had to know someone on the inside, and that, just for access to the better parts! I do like his contributions and I have been eyeing the Murphy Blasters.

The snake oil folks: They're in everything worth doing. Trying to be one up on claiming some kind of personal gift or need. They don't really confront me. It's their $. We're back to that internet thing again. Which amounts to the world's largest library at our fingertips. If one is still so gullible after availability of such easy research, there is no helping them. They will never get better. I'm not a gimmick guy at all.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@MrBoat
I'm not at your skill level with metal or woodwork, but I do some decent work in my own niche(s).

You haven't been around long enough to see most of my stuff, but here are some threads if you are interested. You can see my skill level and difficulty level go up along the way here.....that's what it's all about!

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/xbox-one-and-360-modded-controllers.96451/

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/raspberry-pi-audiophile-streamer-kodi-streamer-arcade-cabinet-etc.103967/

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/slick-little-chip-amp-kit-and-other-project-ideas.92024/

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/completed-bottlehead-quickie-pre-amp.82513/
This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for in these threads. I honestly had no idea. I did see the arcade project at some point though

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had some 3/4" x 3/4" angle, but it was way too thin so, I had some 1" square tubing and I made a V jig for my bandsaw so that I could rip it corner to corner, and then run it thru another fence (lol. . speed square clamped to the bandsaw table) set at 3/4" in which to get rid of the rather gnarly bevel left by the process. This allowed be to be able to use both halves with very little waste. I could have bought angle like that but only in 20+ ft lengths and I wasn't doing anything else anyway.

This will make the inner frame so that I can screw the sides to something. I'll weld all these sections up tomorrow or Sunday. I have a 6" x 48" stand up belt sander, which is how I smoothed the edges of my homemade angle.

I started to do mitered corners and as cool as that would be, it's a bit looney for what this is for.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I did get the sub frames welded up today. Took more time to get the tools out and set up than to do the work. I am not set up for tiny welds. I failed to think about that but I got thru it. Especially since most of it gets sanded off anyway and nobody ever sees these things.

Still, that weldor joke of; "Can't you just buy that?" haunts me throughout and I laugh still at such things. It was a good practice with recycling/repurposing and saving a trip elsewhere.

I used spacers to make things more stable to clamp and keep all the parts exact. This ends up making these otherwise, tedious affairs, less complicated and one can just power thru with a reasonable degree of predictability. After learning on the first, the rest just flow. One tiny tack, remove the clamps/spacers and then rack everything square before welding.

Regardless of my electrode in the torch essentially being for .250" and above, I was able to finesse thru it without burning big holes thru the thin material. I filled the open corners and locked it in on the butts. Enough penetration so that I can sand flush. Other than that, it will be helped by the panels being attached

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I made both top covers today out of .125". Ripped it to width on my bandsaw, put the cut edges to the corner so as to preserve the factory edges. I made open corners and filled with a nice weld bead. I was going to grind these to depict a solid piece, but the welds came out so nice, I'm going to leave them.

Can kind of see what I am going for here which is basic mono-blocks. I will drill the covers for ventilation. I do have the switch and LED holder in the front panels.

I have 1/4"-28 thread machine Allen screws for the front and rear panels.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
In danger of getting one of these framed up tonight. It's sort of tedious being, that half of the screws need to be part of the setup or clamping schedule. The one screw has to hold the part to align the frame for the marking of the other screw in order to keep everything square/true.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
In danger of getting one of these framed up tonight. It's sort of tedious being, that half of the screws need to be part of the setup or clamping schedule. The one screw has to hold the part to align the frame for the marking of the other screw in order to keep everything square/true.

I always thought it would be kind of cool, kind of funny to use one of these switch covers on an amp power switch
https://www.parts-express.com/switch-cover-red--060-582

"Stand back when I flip this switch!":D:cool:

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Dennis Had uses those switches on his Fire Bottle amps he sells on the 'bay.

The chassis is looking good, Mr Boat!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If you include a control of some kind, will it be called 'More'?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I always thought it would be kind of cool, kind of funny to use one of these switch covers on an amp power switch
https://www.parts-express.com/switch-cover-red--060-582

"Stand back when I flip this switch!":D:cool:
I kind of like that switch cover.

This was the picture I meant to post above of the welds.

This has been a good exercise in adapting to materials on hand and from the scrap bin with a minimum of processing equipment such as a shear. Years ago, I bought a couple of those old Craftsmen 80" band saws for $75 and tuned them up and is what I used for most of this. I have been using those same exact saws for over 25 years and they were dated when I bought them. While the equipment purists scoff at such non-professional junk, for utility work, they are great.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I kind of like that switch cover.

This was the picture I meant to post above of the welds.

This has been a good exercise in adapting to materials on hand and from the scrap bin with a minimum of processing equipment such as a shear. Years ago, I bought a couple of those old Craftsmen 80" band saws for $75 and tuned them up and is what I used for most of this. I have been using those same exact saws for over 25 years and they were dated when I bought them. While the equipment purists scoff at such non-professional junk, for utility work, they are great.
I currently have a Craftsman drill press that came out of our family clock factory. No telling how many million holes this thing has drilled over the years, it won't be retired any time soon.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
We have a pair. Since the end panels are .250", I'm not real keen on using just the insulators on the jacks hoping it stays centered. I will add an isolation panel to mount those on, which is why I stopped at this point.

Need to add some vents, but I am torn between painting the mill aluminum or just leaving it. I kind of like the sanded covers raw. Probably end up with black wrinkle on all but the fronts and the heat sinks. I am pleased enough with the way they turned out.

ETA: Hooked them up direct and tried them on the JBL S38's and you would be surprised how potent this combination actually is. The sound is that of quality and very clear and plenty loud in this room. I could get used to these.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@MrBoat
I like how you did these as mirror-images! I didn't really catch that until the last pic. Maybe a little accent lighting down the middle would look sweet sitting in a rack!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
These things have turned a corner for me with regard to how I think about power, or what many of us are actually using at around the reference level or even beyond realm. At least those of us with average sized rooms and relatively sensitive speakers. Perplexing to someone like me, who has always approached audio in terms of 'hundreds' of watts.

My older car stereo, which is also a (Alpine) mosfet amp, claims 18 watts. I thought it was going to be a dog or, not much better than a factory unit from the 70's-80's but it is quite loud and sounds very nice.

Another thing I notice in use is, when not hooked up or the music on, they heat up a lot more. When the music is playing, they just do get warm and even cool off noticeably from the idle status.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis