American manufacturing

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
The fun part is that china and I believe India are the two worst offenders of pollution in the world.
Top 10 polluters
  • China, with more than 14 million tons of CO2 released.
  • United States, with 6 million tons of CO2.
  • India, with 3.5 million tons of CO2.
  • European Union 3.4 million tons of CO2.
  • Russia, with 2 million tons of CO2.
  • Japan, 1,170 million tons of CO2.
  • Brazil, 1.140 million tons of CO2.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Top 10 polluters
  • China, with more than 14 million tons of CO2 released.
  • United States, with 6 million tons of CO2.
  • India, with 3.5 million tons of CO2.
  • European Union 3.4 million tons of CO2.
  • Russia, with 2 million tons of CO2.
  • Japan, 1,170 million tons of CO2.
  • Brazil, 1.140 million tons of CO2.
Source? Just curious, stats are only what they're made from.....or what might not be in the stat.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One of the question is "How much of that total CO2 comes from cows?"

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
Source? Just curious, stats are only what they're made from.....or what might not be in the stat.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Saturday Night Live had a funny skit Saturday night about cheap and cheaply made clothes being made in China. The bottom line was that the actors in a mock commercial didn’t like how but they were being made but were willing to buy because of the price. It’s a global economy and the world has to work together to keep it as safe, clean and efficient as possible IMO.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
My point is though, that if they had presented that design to the staff in Racine Wisconsin, then they would have told management promptly that is was not a workable design and they would all come back. It was not hard to spot that Boondoggle. The Grand Forks dealer worked hard on me to get me to buy one. I told the salesman to let me see the service manual. So I looked at it. I think they sent it to me electronically if I remember correctly.
Anyhow I predicted this disaster and proclaimed the design a disaster. So all those engines came back in a hurry, and I believe the dealer told me that not one they had sold ran for over a hundred hours and most less. So he could not fathom out how I predicted it. I told him I could spot lousy design a mile off. I am certain the good folk in Racine would have refused to build those engines, and I bet management knew it.
Bad management/ownership. Same thing happened at Harley Davidson under AMF. A couple of sayings about Harleys during the bad times- "It's not leaking, it's marking its territory" and "If the part doesn't fit, beat it and if it breaks, you needed a new one, anyway".

The clattering cam gears was caused by using two spur gears, rather than cambering the teeth on one of them and the top end was lubricated by oil fumes, drifting up from the crank case. They later had transmission problems where it would lock up while being driven- riders were being launched over the handlebar. AMF almost sold the company, piecemeal.

However, what makes you think the people assembling OMC or any other engine know if something will fail, or why? Have you ever spoken with someone in those positions? Most aren't highly educated, almost none have any engineering or technical service experience and this is gonna make some people REALLY angry, they were probably union workers- that isn't always a constructive situation, anymore. It's often a very adversarial arrangement between labor and management and you're giving them credit for knowledge they probably didn't have. The tech support people need to be able to support the dealers and handle questions without giving incorrect answers and they collect data, so trends can be identified. The problem with OMC was that scrapping the whole project early would have been ridiculously expensive- somehow, they either ignored problems during development or they decided to let them slide- I never got the impression that the latter would happen, based on many calls to the company for tech support when I serviced boats.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

The cost to provide spectators with helmets who do not care about wearing helmets. You attend a hockey game. The risks are inherent. They've already put up safety nets above the plexiglass behind the goalies. Now they would have to do a rap around, or make the glass higher! Even coaches/assistants have turned down being forced to wear helmets in the benches.
I knew someone who played hockey before he was in college and while he was sitting on the bench, someone tomahawked him in the top of his head with a stick. I don't know that a helmet would have left him uninjured, but he would have been LESS injured.

The disclaimers on sports tickets mention the risks- ever see a wheel go through or over a fence at an auto race track? That's a really bad one and usually kills more than one person.

highfigh

highfigh

Saturday Night Live had a funny skit Saturday night about cheap and cheaply made clothes being made in China. The bottom line was that the actors in a mock commercial didn’t like how but they were being made but were willing to buy because of the price. It’s a global economy and the world has to work together to keep it as safe, clean and efficient as possible IMO.
Ever watch Braveheart? In one scene, Longshanks' army is fighting against the Scottish and someone told the King that they were running out of arrows, that they needed more. Longshanks said "No, send the Irish- arrows cost money". Have you seen working conditions in 3rd world countries? They don't have the same protections as more developed countries, especially in the outlying areas where it's harder to monitor. They don't give a rat's butt about pollution when their survival is at stake.

highfigh

highfigh

It can only be achieved through the market. The efficiency from burning less gas and oil benefits the industries. Activism might bring about awareness, but in the end it's the market that creates it.
Zero emissions as a literal goal is impossible. There's no way to eliminate everything whether the market or anyone else demands it.

highfigh

highfigh

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I knew someone who played hockey before he was in college and while he was sitting on the bench, someone tomahawked him in the top of his head with a stick. I don't know that a helmet would have left him uninjured, but he would have been LESS injured.

The disclaimers on sports tickets mention the risks- ever see a wheel go through or over a fence at an auto race track? That's a really bad one and usually kills more than one person.
I imagine it often ends up being some type of settlement even though the risks are obvious.

Also if you're talking about a spectator getting hit with a stick than that's different.

highfigh

highfigh

I imagine it often ends up being some type of settlement even though the risks are obvious.
YouTube has a video of Evan Longoria saving the interviewer from a ball hit during batting practice- there's no freaking way interviews should happen in the outfield at that time- ONLY behind the batter and in a place where the ball can't hit them- they're not paying attention to much aside from the interview, but that catch was amazing!

Look for 'Evan Longoria's Catch saves Reporter's Life!'

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
YouTube has a video of Evan Longoria saving the interviewer from a ball hit during batting practice- there's no freaking way interviews should happen in the outfield at that time- ONLY behind the batter and in a place where the ball can't hit them- they're not paying attention to much aside from the interview, but that catch was amazing!

Look for 'Evan Longoria's Catch saves Reporter's Life!'
What's your point? The risks are inherent, and the "settlements" from injury or death is the industry being nice because yanno it's your own damn problem you attend an event with flying objects. It's more of a PC resolution IMO.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
For me personally, I'm fine with goods being produced locally even if more expensive. Consumption in the U.S. really has gotten out of control.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I don't think US manufacturing really aligns with America First and our economic might globally. We'd have to be huge exporters.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The US is a huge exporter when it comes to weapons and some other things like fuel, vehicles, aircraft.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis