American audio industry may suffer a blow..

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
Keep to facts,.. uh huh. And I'm passive-aggressive? Exactly how did you think a thread like this would play out? It played out exactly as I expected. And I think it has been fun.
Oh geez! The sky is falling!!! I have some agreement with both Steve and Irv. It is a dark day. However, it shows that even the most brainwashed, evil and stupid liberals may not really be the spawn of Satan. Cousins maybe, but not the spawn.

This thread has been fun for me. Fun because it repeatedly reveals the lack of logical arguments and the desperation that resorts to personal attacks when such logic proves elusive. Fun because I love to watch snowflakes melt. Fun because WE WON, and all the vitriol from the Left is like another prize to us. Fun because it demonstrates how the libs publicly try to distance themselves from the hate and vile direction espoused by their leaders, because deep down they realize it is vile. Fun because it is yet another venue for us to watch the Left accuse us of everything THEY are doing.

So both sides believe the other is evil and vile, and can't understand how they can be so stupid to not see it. The difference is that WE WON (this time). My question is how it will end. We're getting farther apart. So either we come back together, or we split and fight. Right? It's got to go one way or the other. I don't think we'll split and fight, so what will bring us back together? I don't see any politicians in the wings I think will do it. So what else is there? I'm thinking about a catastrophe. We come together then. Is that what it will take? A national catastrophe? I don't know.

But in the meantime, let's keep an eye on the midterms. Whichever way it goes, I think the next 2 years will be the dirtiest politics I've ever seen. And if the Blues don't take the midterms, the next 2 years will be the most constructive our country has seen in a long time. And it will be FUN!!!

ps. Anyone who gets offended because they don't catch my sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek, please respond. I promise you I'll enjoy it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
No, herbu, that doesn't explain why I'm unhappy. I'm unhappy because the President doesn't respect the office he holds, and he acts like a buffoon and embarrasses all but his most blind supporters. I often agree with some of his initiatives, though nowhere near all all them, but then his implementation is usually clumsy and ineffective.
I think the larger problem is that we have 535 members of Congress who have forgotten who they work for, they think they have free will and will act in this way long after Trump is out of office.

He can be a lout but if his way gets things done, I'll take that over some smooth-talking POS who doesn't, or does things that aren't in the country's best interest.

highfigh

highfigh

I don't know how much more nakedly fascistic this presidency could get. Does Trump have to be wearing an armband with a swastika? While I think there is a slice of the american population that are truly fascistic, I think a larger chunk just doesn't care as long as the money is coming in. It's pretty horrific.
Care to post your definition of 'Fascism'?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Oh geez! The sky is falling!!! I have some agreement with both Steve and Irv. It is a dark day. However, it shows that even the most brainwashed, evil and stupid liberals may not really be the spawn of Satan. Cousins maybe, but not the spawn.

This thread has been fun for me. Fun because it repeatedly reveals the lack of logical arguments and the desperation that resorts to personal attacks when such logic proves elusive. Fun because I love to watch snowflakes melt. Fun because WE WON, and all the vitriol from the Left is like another prize to us. Fun because it demonstrates how the libs publicly try to distance themselves from the hate and vile direction espoused by their leaders, because deep down they realize it is vile. Fun because it is yet another venue for us to watch the Left accuse us of everything THEY are doing.

So both sides believe the other is evil and vile, and can't understand how they can be so stupid to not see it. The difference is that WE WON (this time). My question is how it will end. We're getting farther apart. So either we come back together, or we split and fight. Right? It's got to go one way or the other. I don't think we'll split and fight, so what will bring us back together? I don't see any politicians in the wings I think will do it. So what else is there? I'm thinking about a catastrophe. We come together then. Is that what it will take? A national catastrophe? I don't know.

But in the meantime, let's keep an eye on the midterms. Whichever way it goes, I think the next 2 years will be the dirtiest politics I've ever seen. And if the Blues don't take the midterms, the next 2 years will be the most constructive our country has seen in a long time. And it will be FUN!!!

ps. Anyone who gets offended because they don't catch my sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek, please respond. I promise you I'll enjoy it.
herbu. seriously, you accuse me of name-calling and then refer to me as "the most brainwashed, evil and stupid liberal"? Again, I'm a liberal and a leftist because I don't agree with Trump? That's stupidity, herbu.

When you and Forsooth and everetIT respond to my posts it reminds me of some conversations I've had asking legitimate questions of "people of faith" about worship and prayer. Any simple question is blasphemy. Is that what this is with you and Trump? The worship of a god (notice the lower case "g") who verbalizes and acts out all of your angry-old-white-guy frustrations with American society and the directions it has taken? And this WE WON thing I keep hearing does remind me of listening to the crowds cheering on Hitler and Mussolini in the old news reels, so I can see where ShadyJ is coming from about fascism (though I don't agree with it).

So far I haven't read any well thought-through arguments from you three true believers about why Trump's policies make sense. Some of them do make sense. Instead all of the posts look like minutes from a political rally or a prayer meeting.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

a psychiatric would have a field day with this

left, right or whatever

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Care to post your definition of 'Fascism'?
There isn't really any sharply defined definition of fascism, but to know what it is I think you have to look at its historical origin. I think the Roman etymology of the word is a good symbol of fascist ideology, the fascia, which is a binding of a bundle of sticks, and relates to that old metaphor that a single stick is easy to break but a bundle is unbreakable. Fascism requires the subordination of the individual for the good of the state, and the interests of the state is the highest value in fascist ideology. That is not the same thing as some generic dictatorship like some latin american military junta, although fascist states tend to be dictatorships.

TLSguy has made the argument in the past that fascism can somehow be leftist, but that is impossible and contradictory. Of course, leftist ideologies can degenerate into dictatorships, but it there are some important distinctions. Leftist political philosophies are more concerned with all mankind and reject nationalism in favor of internationalism. Leftist philosophy also is more concerned about the welfare of the individual, and that ultimately the state should have the welfare of people as its priority rather than people serving the state. Simply put, fascism is tribalist, and leftism is individualist. Fascism is exclusively a right-wing political philosophy.

Obviously a lot has been written about fascism, and many people have attempted to define it, but I think one of the most insightful and best pieces on the subject was written by Umberto Eco in this essay for the New York Review of Books. That is a deep dive into the subject, but if you want something more concise, here is a checklist of traits fascist ideologies.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think the larger problem is that we have 535 members of Congress who have forgotten who they work for, they think they have free will and will act in this way long after Trump is out of office.
Nah, they all know exactly who they are working for - and it ain't us!
Lobbyists would not be there if they were not effective at influencing legislation.

USA politics are at an all time low (at least in my awareness).
It seems both parties are at their strongest not for what they are trying to achieve, but for being against the other party.

The Democrats are galvanized and energized with vitriol for Trump!

Just as the Republicans were galvanized and energized against Obama and Hilliary!

Trump is very aware of this and the chant of "lock her up" are still a thing at his rallies. However, if he wanted to, and really believed he had a legit case, he could certainly pursue it.
I may be proven wrong, but at this point I really don't think of Hilliary as being relevant to politics in any significant way, but Trump understands her value as a "common enemy" for his base to rally against!

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
herbu. seriously, you accuse me of name-calling and then refer to me as "the most brainwashed, evil and stupid liberal"? Again, I'm a liberal and a leftist because I don't agree with Trump? That's stupidity, herbu.
Irv, as promised, I enjoyed your post immensely. Now I'm going to repeat the last line of my previous post, 'cause you seemed to miss it the first time.

"Anyone who gets offended because they don't catch my sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek, please respond. I promise you I'll enjoy it. " I should remember my own advice and write these posts as if I'm writing for a 12 year old. And if you have some sort of syndrome or affliction that makes reading difficult, I sincerely apologize for straining your capabilities. It's a good thing I didn't graduate from high school, or we likely wouldn't be able to communicate at all.
;)

highfigh

highfigh

Nah, they all know exactly who they are working for - and it ain't us!
Lobbyists would not be there if they were not effective at influencing legislation.

USA politics are at an all time low (at least in my awareness).
It seems both parties are at their strongest not for what they are trying to achieve, but for being against the other party.
I should have written that they forgot who they're SUPPOSED to work for.

I don't like the attack campaigns and I really don't like the amount of money that is being spent- think of what it could have paid for- the candidates spent more than $7B in 2012 amd Obama & Romney spent around $2B.

highfigh

highfigh

There isn't really any sharply defined definition of fascism, but to know what it is I think you have to look at its historical origin. I think the Roman etymology of the word is a good symbol of fascist ideology, the fascia, which is a binding of a bundle of sticks, and relates to that old metaphor that a single stick is easy to break but a bundle is unbreakable. Fascism requires the subordination of the individual for the good of the state, and the interests of the state is the highest value in fascist ideology. That is not the same thing as some generic dictatorship like some latin american military junta, although fascist states tend to be dictatorships.

TLSguy has made the argument in the past that fascism can somehow be leftist, but that is impossible and contradictory. Of course, leftist ideologies can degenerate into dictatorships, but it there are some important distinctions. Leftist political philosophies are more concerned with all mankind and reject nationalism in favor of internationalism. Leftist philosophy also is more concerned about the welfare of the individual, and that ultimately the state should have the welfare of people as its priority rather than people serving the state. Simply put, fascism is tribalist, and leftism is individualist. Fascism is exclusively a right-wing political philosophy.

Obviously a lot has been written about fascism, and many people have attempted to define it, but I think one of the most insightful and best pieces on the subject was written by Umberto Eco in this essay for the New York Review of Books. That is a deep dive into the subject, but if you want something more concise, here is a checklist of traits fascist ideologies.
If you can't define the word, should you be calling someone that?

Your definition of bundling is for a different word, not fascia.

"Fasces: set of rods bound in the form of a bundle which contained an axe. In ancientRome, the bodyguards of a magistrate carried fasces. The word fasces means "bundle" and refers to the fact that it is a bundle of rods, which surrounded an ax in the middle."- Wiki

Fascia is the board that covers the ends of rafters or in biology, a band or sheet of connective tissue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia

Fascist-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

Mussolini was a fascist- Trump is hardly similar to him.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Irv, as promised, I enjoyed your post immensely. Now I'm going to repeat the last line of my previous post, 'cause you seemed to miss it the first time.

"Anyone who gets offended because they don't catch my sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek, please respond. I promise you I'll enjoy it. " I should remember my own advice and write these posts as if I'm writing for a 12 year old. And if you have some sort of syndrome or affliction that makes reading difficult, I sincerely apologize for straining your capabilities. It's a good thing I didn't graduate from high school, or we likely wouldn't be able to communicate at all.
;)

LOL, you guys crack me up !

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you can't define the word, should you be calling someone that?

Your definition of bundling is for a different word, not fascia.

"Fasces: set of rods bound in the form of a bundle which contained an axe. In ancientRome, the bodyguards of a magistrate carried fasces. The word fasces means "bundle" and refers to the fact that it is a bundle of rods, which surrounded an ax in the middle."- Wiki

Fascia is the board that covers the ends of rafters or in biology, a band or sheet of connective tissue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascia

Fascist-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

Mussolini was a fascist- Trump is hardly similar to him.
There are a LOT of words in english that don't have precise definitions. Many of them are very common words too. Language is fluid, and a word with pejorative connotations like fascism is always going to be subject for debate. While the borderlines around the word can be vague, there are characteristics that are inarguable. ANY political label is going to be debated and argued about. What is the exact definition of liberal? or conservative?

Regarding the origin, Fascia, Fasces, Fascio, and Fascism have the same root. It is a political ideology that recalls the bundling metaphor. If you want to get super pedantic, wikipedia isn't a source you wold want to use for that anyway.

As for similarities between trump and Mussolini, you would have to be willfully blinding yourself to overlook them. They are similar not just in words and ideas, but even in body language.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I
There are a LOT of words in english that don't have precise definitions. Many of them are very common words too. Language is fluid, and a word with pejorative connotations like fascism is always going to be subject for debate. While the borderlines around the word can be vague, there are characteristics that are inarguable. ANY political label is going to be debated and argued about. What is the exact definition of liberal? or conservative?

Regarding the origin, Fascia, Fasces, Fascio, and Fascism have the same root. It is a political ideology that recalls the bundling metaphor. If you want to get super pedantic, wikipedia isn't a source you wold want to use for that anyway.

As for similarities between trump and Mussolini, you would have to be willfully blinding yourself to overlook them. They are similar not just in words and ideas, but even in body language.
Facial similarities too :) The drumpf indeed has many fascist traits (and admires them to boot).
mussolinitrump.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is obviously photoshopped, but the similarities are many. Just google something like "Trump Mussolini Similarities," it's not just ideological, it's stylistic.
Yeah, it was just making the rounds so I grabbed a copy :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They have no problem in Ontario (14+ million). But it's easier to administer a pubic system the larger the covered population and the less remote the users. There is no need to complicate it.

And you missed my point ... each Province in Canada can offer no coverage whatsoever if they liked. As it is, they all do, but medicare is not mandatory.

So a "Canada-style medicare" would mean each State could do the same, and I suspect many States would be just fine with saying no to any coverage and be happy with it. That was never offered as an option to US voters.

In any case, this thread I think has run it's course. I'm not interested in joining any political debates, especially when I have no dog in the fight. It's your country, run it well and good luck.
Just wanted to wish you well on your recovery had a bout of walking pneumonia when I was younger that stuff knocked me out for months hope your better!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know how much more nakedly fascistic this presidency could get. Does Trump have to be wearing an armband with a swastika? While I think there is a slice of the american population that are truly fascistic, I think a larger chunk just doesn't care as long as the money is coming in. It's pretty horrific.
And how come that Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and a White House adviser entrusted with Middle East policy seem to have become a close friend to Mohammed bin Salman, who again see Iran as the main risk in Middle East ....

cultureShock.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis