Amazon HD Streaming Dolby Atmos

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Amazon Music HD is the first streaming service to support Dolby Atmos Music. Dolby has teamed up with Universal Music Group to produce thousands of songs in the new format, from major artists across a wide variety of genres. Will Dolby Atmos Music be the next big thing, or will it be destined for audiophile obscurity?

Has anyone successfully streamed Dolby Atmos from Amazon HD music services? We want to hear about your experiences here.

amazon-atmos.jpg

Read: Dolby Atmos Coming to Amazon HD Music

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Any list of devices that support the Atmos songs? Or any examples of which songs are available in Atmos now?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So glad gene finally used the thumbnail of my room I sent him.

What’s with that display though?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Amazon Music HD is the first streaming service to support Dolby Atmos Music. Dolby has teamed up with Universal Music Group to produce thousands of songs in the new format, from major artists across a wide variety of genres. Will Dolby Atmos Music be the next big thing, or will it be destined for audiophile obscurity?

Has anyone successfully streamed Dolby Atmos from Amazon HD music services? We want to hear about your experiences here.

View attachment 32319

Read: Dolby Atmos Coming to Amazon HD Music
Cool picture :cool:

T

tparm

Audioholic
Yet no Amazon devices that work with an actual AV system are capable of steaming their own UHD tracks..... nor is Apple TV, and BluOS can’t do Atmos because it doesn’t have HDMI output..... I own an Arcam AVR850 which has no onboard streaming capability so I am looking for an audio and video solution. Looks like Apple TV 4K is great for video and Bluesound Node 2i (as long as you use digital output) is great for audio, but there is not one-box solution.

I used tidal via BluOS on my NAD receiver and loved it, but now that the streaming world is my oyster I’d like to explore Amazon Music (U)HD with Atmos along with Vudu, Netflix and Prime with Atmos and Vision. What should I buy?

J

Jake Franklin

Audioholic Intern
So far listening to the Best of Dolby Atmos playlist I've only heard my main and atmos speakers activated. No info coming from center or ear level surround channels. Still adds a more spacious sounds vs regular stereo.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
"Always looking for the next ex Mrs. Malcolm". The last few things didn't turn out to be the next thing, so not sure I'll fully wade into this one. Already have AmazonHD.

T

tparm

Audioholic
"Always looking for the next ex Mrs. Malcolm". The last few things didn't turn out to be the next thing, so not sure I'll fully wade into this one. Already have AmazonHD.
Like he quote. Through what mechanism/device are you accessing HD/UHD? Thanks.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Like he quote. Through what mechanism/device are you accessing HD/UHD? Thanks.
I have a FireTV (box, not stick),though not 100% sure it is supporting HD either. I normally use the HD app on my laptop while working and at home on my tablet via bluetooth. I CAN hear the difference on some tracks, but as mentioned by others, it is not always so obvious that the benefit is really that significant. As always, it depends on the actual track and master, not just the stream quality/codec. I already had Music Unlimited, so I figured why not add HD?

For SACD/DVD-A I had always invested in the top Oppos (still have a 105 and 205) and now both Oppo and the formats are dead :D I still enjoy the formats for the many discs I have, but not really adding much to that list as of now.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Is echo studio the only device supporting Amazon Music HD Atmos songs?

R

R.Elder

Audioholic
It’s terribly annoying that both Tidal and Amazon have taken little action to make this atmos music accessible. A handful of android devices will play it as regards tidal. Their computer app doesn’t play it.

Then you got amazon using this to push a Bluetooth speaker ffs. I’ll probably keep it as a high res service unless Tidal makes their atmos more accessible then I’ll switch back to them.

I was really excited about the possibilities but the implementation has been ridiculously lacking. Anyone found a good way to actually listen to these new atmos tracks using their home atmos systems?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s terribly annoying that both Tidal and Amazon have taken little action to make this atmos music accessible. A handful of android devices will play it as regards tidal. Their computer app doesn’t play it.

Then you got amazon using this to push a Bluetooth speaker ffs. I’ll probably keep it as a high res service unless Tidal makes their atmos more accessible then I’ll switch back to them.

I was really excited about the possibilities but the implementation has been ridiculously lacking. Anyone found a good way to actually listen to these new atmos tracks using their home atmos systems?
To my understanding the streaming version is but a two ch enhancement, not real metadata for use in an actual Atmos HT setup.

T

tparm

Audioholic
So, I now have a Bluesound Node 2 (original, not the "i" as I use a wired connection and digital interconnect so no reason to upgrade) and Apple TV 4K. Between the two, with the exception of Atmos on YouTube or Amazon Music, I now have Amazon UHD capability for music and 4K/Atmos via Amazon Prime video, Netflix, iTunes, etc. Works well although the user interface between Amazon Music and BluOS isn't great. I assume it'll improve as Amazon gets their s&*t together.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Amazon announced Atmos music, yet few if any of their devices can play it back.o_O

R

rolf.taylor

Enthusiast
I would just settle for access to more 5.1 content! Where can I find that?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis