Am I considered Audiophile?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello all,

I am new to the Audiophile world.
I used to own Magnepan 1.71 and a pre amp with power amp 2x200wats/ch from Rotel.

Now, at 53 I have (I want to believe), turned into cheaper area but nice quality.

I have Polk Audio RTI-A7 Speakers and Yamaha RX-V385 Receiver that I have disabled every function of surround settings and I listen to two channel stereo or PCM.
I hope I qualify to be considered Audiophile, LOL
Well you are not if you vote down Buck's very well written reply to your question. Unfortunately the term "Audiophile" has become strongly associated with superstition.

I would say that all of us here are interested in getting the best sound from the means we have available.

This is very much a "what is your data? What is your evidence type of forum?" We push back hard against superstition, with which this avocation has unfortunately become riddled.

So Audiophile is to an extent, and may be a large extent, corrupted by what it means to those who proclaim to be, and those that accuse those of being audiophile.

One thing is certain, on this forum we do do know what we mean by "Audiophool", but I don't think any of us are really clear what an "Audiophile" is.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Those little emojis, can have a different meaning so to speak with different cultures. I don't believe it was taken out of context.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
There is a lot of humor used one being a "Audiophile". Or " Audiophool" both have similar but different meanings to some. Others may apply those two, in a humorous sentence, to imply ridicule, or to use either one as a way of describing a hobbyist with audio or video. For example, (one who listen to stereo rather than the music) or (A lover of sound) or (audiophiles will argue to the death which system sounds better) or (one who enjoys sex acts involving the ear) those are the humerus side, but can also be used to ridicule. You will find that on just about any forum.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just try to not become an audio-fool by buying those expensive interconnect cables and speaker wires! :p

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Where’s the smart ass emoji on this thing when we need one?;):cool:
Nice! ;) I see your a "Audiophile" to huh?;). What are your thoughts on "Audiophool" ;). Shall we jump over to Polk Audio "Club" See if that forum has some Audiophile and Audiophool as are on AH forum :cool:. Can't go over to AVS, the guy who runs that forum is definitely one for sure. He'll banner , anyone who isn't. :).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice! ;) I see your a "Audiophile" to huh?;). What are your thoughts on "Audiophool" ;). Shall we jump over to Polk Audio "Club" See if that forum has some Audiophile and Audiophool as are on AH forum :cool:. Can't go over to AVS, the guy who runs that forum is definitely one for sure. He'll banner , anyone who isn't. :).
I wouldn't call Mark an audiophool. He did that wonderful comparison between cables, including wadded up aluminum foil (which worked). They are a bit too tolerant of the audiophool posters, tho IMO and will ban those that get after the audiophools ( :) ).

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't call Mark an audiophool. He did that wonderful comparison between cables, including wadded up aluminum foil (which worked). They are a bit too tolerant of the audiophool posters, tho IMO and will ban those that get after the audiophools ( :) ).
Well, let's go! ;) We can have a post count who ever has the most post wins at the time the Hammer drops.:). come to think why there isn't a emoji with a hammer? :D .

Didn't know Mark ran the place, on a serious note. I do know Gene got into it with someone over there. Gene pretty much set him straight.
But as you would know being tolerant Audiophool posters over there isn't to far off on just about every forum that I been on. Emotiva Lounge, pretty much takes the grand prize in my book. But hey Kool-Aid being what it is.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@loveinthehd, I went look at his post, didn't know if your where pulling my leg on the aluminum foil thing. Aluminum is a good conductor of electricity. A lot cheaper than #1 grade copper. I've cut up lamp cords to use for speaker wire.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, let's go! ;) We can have a post count who ever has the most post wins at the time the Hammer drops.:). come to think why there isn't a emoji with a hammer? :D .

Didn't know Mark ran the place, on a serious note. I do know Gene got into it with someone over there. Gene pretty much set him straight.
But as you would know being tolerant Audiophool posters over there isn't to far off on just about every forum that I been on. Emotiva Lounge, pretty much takes the grand prize in my book. But hey Kool-Aid being what it is.
Mark was named editor not long ago, Scott Wilkinson stepped down. Mark also runs a group on FB called Audiophiles on a Budget, where he at least doesn't tolerate too much wire nonsense but doesn't keep the conversations just on the objective side either....

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
What do you mean?
Where can I be at the right thread for my gear?

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Mark was named editor not long ago, Scott Wilkinson stepped down. Mark also runs a group on FB called Audiophiles on a Budget, where he at least doesn't tolerate too much wire nonsense but doesn't keep the conversations just on the objective side either....
Hello,
What do you mean by saying Audiofool?
Who is Audiofool? Can I have an example. First time I hear it.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
FB, umm, this forum is about as far as I will go. Had many social media accounts in the past. All closed after my identity theft thing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello,
What do you mean by saying Audiofool?
Who is Audiofool? Can I have an example. First time I hear it.
It's a play on the word "audiophile"....audiophool or audiofool....means someone who buys into the silly parts of audiophilia.

Yohansen

Yohansen

Audioholic
Just fixed the thumb LOL
When you click them the thumbs both up and down are near to each other. It’s very easy to click the wrong one.
.... Oh! Before I forget: I must be an Audiofool because I gave up my Magnepan 1.7i, Rotel RC1082 and RB 1080 2w200watts including Straightwire Encore cables with OPPO BDP103, so I can come back to box speakers etc. But why should I pay 5 or 10,000 dollars again to have nice quality. Anyway, my living room is small, so!
What is your set up anyway?
Thanks
Yannis

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis