AM/FM Antenna Recommendation

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a bit late to this thread, but in case the OP is listening, here's what some of those FM antennae TLS Guy mentioned look like:

Folded Dipole
These very cheap antennae can be made from simple 300 ohm antenna cable, and are available widely. Try one of these just to see how well it can work where you live. They are somewhat directional, so try holding with your arms one spread out as in the picture. Then rotate around and see what that does to FM reception.
1684269785568.png

Omnidirectional folded dipole
If a simple folded dipole works for you, look into either an S or Turnstile omnidirectional folded dipole. They'll have similar gain to a straight folded dipole, but they receive FM stations from multiple directions without aiming them. No antenna rotor is needed.

I have a turnstile FM antenna in my attic crawl space and it does the job where I live. Most FM transmitters are within 15-20 miles. Make sure you don't have a metal roof or aluminum foil coated attic insulation in your attic crawlspace. They will shield your attic from FM or TV reception.
1684269994660.png

Folded di-pole with reflector, with or without one or more directors
The diagram shows a folded dipole with one reflector (to the right) and three director elements on the left. It will have higher signal gain along with a narrower angle of reception. It will probably require a rotor, and is probably too big for an attic crawl space. Mount one of these above your roof on a mast.
1684270164952.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis