Alternatives to the Marantz AV8805?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So I grew up in the age of planetariums where they also did rock concerts.
WOW that brought back memories of attending Planetarium Laser Light Rock Concerts in the 70's and 80's in NY

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for picking up on that, Lovin' The HD. I was pretty tired when I wrote the OP, so I trust that you understand. Regardless, which Yamaha AVP is competitive with the AVPs I mentioned? I'd really appreciate it, if you would narrow it down a bit. Thanks for the post.

P.S. - Love the Dark Side avatar you're using...
Altho considering some avrs as avp is doable, too. What speaker format ? 4k tv? Need HDMI 2.1? Yamaha afaik only has one current unit at a time, altho usually the older model is still available for a while.

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Altho considering some avrs as avp is doable, too. What speaker format ? 4k tv? Need HDMI 2.1? Yamaha afaik only has one current unit at a time, altho usually the older model is still available for a while.
Speaker Outfit: (2) B&W 802s; (2) B&W 805s and (1) B&W HTM3S

Sources: (1) Sony X800M2, (1) Oppo 203, (1) Oppo 105D, (1) Denon CDR-W1500 (great HDCD source)

Stereo Control Center: Mac MX-130

Stereo Receivers: Mac MAC-4100, Mac MAC-4200 (has internal 75W/channel into 8-Ohms aux power amp)

Stereo Power Amp: Mac MC-300

Television: LG OLED

Keeping in mind that we're old-school Mac stereo listeners, please inform me about "HDMI 2.1" and exactly why one hoping for a 5.1 system (possibly 7.1 in the future...maybe) needs to stay abreast of the latest HDMI standards? I'm HT challenged, so please feel free to bring it!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker Outfit: (2) B&W 802s; (2) B&W 805s and (1) B&W HTM3S

Sources: (1) Sony X800M2, (1) Oppo 203, (1) Oppo 105D, (1) Denon CDR-W1500 (great HDCD source)

Stereo Control Center: Mac MX-130

Stereo Receivers: Mac MAC-4100, Mac MAC-4200 (has internal 75W/channel into 8-Ohms aux power amp)

Stereo Power Amp: Mac MC-300

Television: LG OLED

Keeping in mind that we're old-school Mac stereo listeners, please inform me about "HDMI 2.1" and exactly why one hoping for a 5.1 system (possibly 7.1 in the future...maybe) needs to stay abreast of the latest HDMI standards? I'm HT challenged, so please feel free to bring it!
Assume that LG OLED is 4k too? HDMI 2.1 brings higher level of audio (lossless) via ARC (Audio Return Channel via hdmi between avr & tv) as well as 8k capabilities. Sounds like all you need is current 4k avr to accommodate your video and even future speaker setup, but could live without Atmos type processing (altho usually comes hand in hand these days). You could go with a slightly older avp it seems. If you want something else to consider, might look at Outlaw 976 avp.

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Assume that LG OLED is 4k too? HDMI 2.1 brings higher level of audio (lossless) via ARC (Audio Return Channel via hdmi between avr & tv) as well as 8k capabilities. Sounds like all you need is current 4k avr to accommodate your video and even future speaker setup, but could live without Atmos type processing (altho usually comes hand in hand these days). You could go with a slightly older avp it seems. If you want something else to consider, might look at Outlaw 976 avp.
I'm not much of a videophile, either ... but I can tell you that our LG OLED looks fine when we play a 4K UHD Blu ray in our Sony X800M2 player.

As for Atmos, et al, processing...we've never had a surround system in our lives, so I'm assuming that 5.1 (or possibly 7.1) doesn't require more than 5 (or 7) speakers, correct?

I realize that there are HT-enthusiasts out there who have 13-channels going at once, but we're a bit long in the tooth for that. Makes ours simple 5.1 for now.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not much of a videophile, either ... but I can tell you that our LG OLED looks fine when we play a 4K UHD Blu ray in our Sony X800M2 player.

As for Atmos, et al, processing...we've never had a surround system in our lives, so I'm assuming that 5.1 (or possibly 7.1) doesn't require more than 5 (or 7) speakers, correct?

I realize that there are HT-enthusiasts out there who have 13-channels going at once, but we're bit long in the tooth for that. Makes ours simple 5.1 for now.
Well 5.1 requires at least 6 speakers, 5 sats and a sub. :) A 5.1 only avr/avp is pretty rare these days. Lossless codec handling for 5.1/7.1 setups has been around for a while so many units will suffice for you as far as avr or avp go....altho less choices in avp, just not nearly as big a market as avr. Some of the avrs from Denon lately can turn off the amp section and do quite nicely for a 5.1/7.1 4k suitable avp (Denon's x700 series particularly).

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Well 5.1 requires at least 6 speakers, 5 sats and a sub. :) A 5.1 only avr/avp is pretty rare these days. Lossless codec handling for 5.1/7.1 setups has been around for a while so many units will suffice for you as far as avr or avp go....altho less choices in avp, just not nearly as big a market as avr. Some of the avrs from Denon lately can turn off the amp section and do quite nicely for a 5.1/7.1 4k suitable avp (Denon's x700 series particularly).
Yeah, there are a lot of details involved with this "surround" business, so chalk the lack of a "sub" channel to oversight. We do not own a subwoofer, yet, but it's on the list -- it's just not as high up on the list as an AVP or a multichannel power amp.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, there are a lot of details involved with this "surround" business, so chalk the lack of "sub" channel to oversight. We do not own a subwoofer, yet, but it's on the list -- it's just not as high up on the list as an AVP or a multichannel power amp.
What amps are you looking at?

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
What amps are you looking at?
It depends totally on the AVP we end up with. If we end up spending a lot of our luxury budget on an AVP, we'll probably be looking at something like an Emotiva multichannel power amp. If we can find a reasonable AVP, on the other hand, we just might look at a Mac multichannel power amp, which, given our funds, will have to be a decent used unit.

By the way, we have a friend who's been at this kind of thing for many years. He's telling us to lock down an AVP before we do anything else. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It depends totally on the AVP we end up with. If we end up spending a lot of our luxury budget on an AVP, we'll probably be looking at something like an Emotive multichannel power amp. If we can find a reasonable AVP, on the other hand, we just might look at a Mac multichannel power amp, which, given our funds, will have to be a decent used unit.

By the way, we have a friend who's been at this kind of thing for many years. He's telling us to lock down an AVP before we do anything else. What are your thoughts on this?
Only reason I can think of would be to make sure the avp has sufficient pre-out level for the amp sensitivity involved. Most avps will have sufficient output for the majority of the amps, tho. Maybe consider speakers before an appropriate amp, but you already have such. With your speakers I'd probably look to amps with low impedance capabilities but nothing too special. Personally I wouldn't want McIntosh what with their output autoformers let alone the expense (but otoh I don't consider resale value myself, they do hold their resale value). I've yet to go the pre-pro route, if I need an avr to act as pre for an external amp I have pre-outs to use.

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Only reason I can think of would be to make sure the avp has sufficient pre-out level for the amp sensitivity involved. Most avps will have sufficient output for the majority of the amps, tho. Maybe consider speakers before an appropriate amp, but you already have such. With your speakers I'd probably look to amps with low impedance capabilities but nothing too special. Personally I wouldn't want McIntosh what with their output autoformers let alone the expense (but otoh I don't consider resale value myself, they do hold their resale value). I've yet to go the pre-pro route, if I need an avr to act as pre for an external amp I have pre-outs to use.
I've spent days in fox holes, so, don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings...but what is it about autoformers that you don't care for? I'm very curious about that...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've spent days in fox holes, so, don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings...but what is it about autoformers that you don't care for? I'm very curious about that...
Why have them to begin with? They're just not needed....it's a Mc thing from tube days it seems.

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Okay, but do you know of problems that autoformers present?

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Not really...I'm just curious. We've had speakers of all kinds hooked up to Mac autoformer amps and, quite frankly, we've never had a problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not really...I'm just curious. We've had speakers of all kinds hooked up to Mac autoformer amps and, quite frankly, we've never had a problem.
Hopefully you wouldn't with any well designed amp, tho....

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
Well, I spent several years overseas and, quite honestly, some of the "stuff" I purchased -- which was supposedly "high-end" -- is taking up space in a land fill somewhere. Our old Mac equipment, which dates back to the 70s, has never let us down. As I've already mentioned, we're no longer Mac or nothing people, but we also don't expect the Asian gear to last a lifetime.

T

tealcomp

Audioholic Intern
Have you looked at ATI, Monoprice (made by ATI) and similar derivatives? I am looking at some of the ATI Class "D"s in addition to Yamaha MX-A5200. The ATI's are well regarded but they aren't cheap. However, coming from MAC equipment, that is something I don't need to lecture you about LOL.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I spent several years overseas and, quite honestly, some of the "stuff" I purchased -- which was supposedly "high-end" -- is taking up space in a land fill somewhere. Our old Mac equipment, which dates back to the 70s, has never let us down. As I've already mentioned, we're no longer Mac or nothing people, but we also don't expect the Asian gear to last a lifetime.
Somewhat the nature of consumer electronics. McIntosh may have an edge on quality of build, hopefully the various owners of Mc haven't changed that as time goes on. There are some things you can do to help extend life (like cooling solutions), too. Just being of asian origin doesn't mean a lot, just as being of partial US origin (like McIntosh) doesn't. Good luck with your decision. Personally I'd look at ATI offerings or the ones they build for others (Monolith amps, some Outlaw, etc)

70sMac

Junior Audioholic
I was thinking about the last post...and it occurred to me that most manufacturing entities must be taking advantage of the cheaper componentry that cheaper labor costs normally render. It seems to me that a former president, who will rename nameless, opened the world up, quite a few years ago now, to our consumer dollars, which inevitably lead to increased pressure on manufacturers -- and I assume that electronics manufacturers are right at the top of the heap in this regard. In short, I would think that every business entity involved with the manufacture and/or production of electronic equipment is under the same pressure. In the end, I suppose it comes down to who's spending their money on inspection of components and quality control, in general.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis