Allison Three Speakers. Anyone still have them or used to have them?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I forgot to mention that I did get to talk with the manager there who sold me the Allison's about 1978. He didn't remember me of course. He's had a bazillion customers. But I recognized him. He asked me how the Allison's were doing so I told him they are still great.
He must be the owner? Why would anyone still be a manager that long kinds boggles my mind.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
He must be the owner? Why would anyone still be a manager that long kinds boggles my mind.
I'd bet he's the owner but the other employees call him the manager and I didn't ask. He looked up my previous purchases but their computer records only go back to 1990.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd bet he's the owner but the other employees call him the manager and I didn't ask. He looked up my previous purchases but their computer records only go back to 1990.
Yeah, calling him manager I can see for other reasons....but I also suppose some just don't mind having such a job that long could make sense (but not to me, I'd have to move on).

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That is actually a wooden blue cat sculpture. :)

The real cat is partly behind the telescope on the couch pillows below the light blue winter coat.
Here !! I found it!! :D
9A7FACF4-90AD-4DC7-9513-3AD73DB2FF12.jpeg

I mainly sit at my desk. It's nearly centered as the pillars are the center. And I'm I estimate that I'm a little closer to either speaker than the speakers are to each other. I really don't need to crank them at all.

If I really want as close to perfection as I can I stand in front of the desk in front of a pillar but making sure the telescope doesn't block line of sight to the tweeter on the left.

Are you wondering something?
View attachment 61714
View attachment 61715
Dang if you like your Alison set up and the speakers work fine . You could have a second system hooked to the tv also , I have multiple systems although my stuff is on the cheap end of the spectrum. I don’t use my bedroom one much anymore, But I use my basement one the speakers are pretty cheap though haha . Old shelf system speakers and mini sub.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Here !! I found it!! :D View attachment 61717

Dang if you like your Alison set up and the speakers work fine . You could have a second system hooked to the tv also , I have multiple systems although my stuff is on the cheap end of the spectrum. I don’t use my bedroom one much anymore, But I use my basement one the speakers are pretty cheap though haha . Old shelf system speakers and mini sub.

You found Blueberry! (we call him Boo for short).

Ya the TV issue. I started a different topic in the soundbars section but it almost feels I will be setting up a second stereo just for the TV.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You found Blueberry! (we call him Boo for short).

Ya the TV issue. I started a different topic in the soundbars section but it almost feels I will be setting up a second stereo just for the TV.

Yeah you just got to wait and see if the smaller speakers are good enough for the Content you watch , one room in my parents house a tv has no speakers hooked to it because that’s not my room. It’s sad because I have plenty of unused speakers I could hook to this tv but there’s no space for an avr and I wouldn’t be aloud to because the parents dont Want any speakers or soundbars hooked to it .
Zero bass from tv ,,

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Yeah you just got to wait and see if the smaller speakers are good enough for the Content you watch , one room in my parents house a tv has no speakers hooked to it because that’s not my room. It’s sad because I have plenty of unused speakers I could hook to this tv but there’s no space for an avr and I wouldn’t be aloud to because the parents dont Want any speakers or soundbars hooked to it .
Zero bass from tv ,,
Double Wow...

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I do love this room. This is the back with a bathroom, bar and the utilities. The gas burner and HVAC fans get in the way of listening sometimes. It's all still beautiful though now concealed behind clutter.

Stairs up to the kitchen. From 1999.

Is there a listing room topic where I can see your rooms?
Pros and Joes Systems Gallery subforum.

G

geoffW

Audiophyte
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Allison Three speakers today. Good foam and good condition. What are they worth?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Allison Three speakers today. Good foam and good condition. What are they worth?
They are worth whatever you, or another buyer are prepared to pay for them.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
They are worth whatever you, or another buyer are prepared to pay for them.
When I worked for a stereo shop in the 90's, the guy that owned the place was infamous for being a wheeler dealer....a very high strung, high blood pressure inducing individual.
Quite the character, but...he was a pro.
We took in used speakers on trades for new ones.

One day I came in and there were a pair of Dahlquist DQ10's sitting there he took in the night before.

I made the mortal mistake of asking "Hey Fred, what are those things worth?"
He bolted up to me and got about an inch from my face...his face turned beet red, and veins popped out on his forehead and neck.

"It's not about what they are goddamned worth, boy...it's about what I can goddamned get for them !!!"

I won't even tell how one night he locked the front door and wanted to fight back in the showroom...he was twice my age.

G

geoffW

Audiophyte
SO like $100 would be a good buy? The seller isn't sure either. I will likely play around with hthem for a bit and want to re sell them for money.

G

geoffW

Audiophyte
I saw that listing but the price is just silly. That's why I came here to get an idea. No way in hell someone is paying 1,300 for a pair.

G

geoffW

Audiophyte
Like anything else this is what people have listed them for, not sold them for.

Allison one's for $500 a pair:

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
You are asking a totally ambiguous question....the seller should be doing this research, not you.....if you don't like his price...don't buy them.
Did you listen to them, do you even like them? Did you see them in person ?
No one can tell you what those are "worth"
They are worthless to some, valuable to others.

I just bought a pair of Original Large Advents in near mint condition for 50 bucks...on Ebay there are hammered pairs with woofers that need refoamed for 700 bucks...this used stuff can go all over the place.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
If my Allison Three speakers got destroyed I'd pay $1300 for a like new pair in a second so long as the woofer rubber rim had been redone like mine. Ask if the woofers have been repacked with new rubber around the rims. The origional rubber rim had a tendency to deteriorate after 20 years and I redid them around 1998. Since then in an air conditioned home there has be no deterioration.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
SO like $100 would be a good buy? The seller isn't sure either. I will likely play around with hthem for a bit and want to re sell them for money.
They are wonderful speakers if they haven't been abused and if the woofer outside rubber seal has been redone. $100 would be a steal in my opinion. Ask for photos around the woofers. They should look like mine in the OP, not sagging. If they are sagging they will need to be resealed.

G

geoffW

Audiophyte
Well I got them as a package with a JVC 200 disc changer, yamaha rx v 1050 and a niles speaker switch all for $100. The surround was totally rotted. I thought about refurbishing, but some of the cone on one of them was totally ripped and chunks missing. I donated them to the local thrift store. I didn't want the wrath of my wife when I got home. The receiver's right channel was cutting out and had static. I also donated that. The JVC xl-mc 334 is what I was after and that works perfect (after I got the stuck cd out) Someone tilted it with a bunch of CD's. I'm already no longer an Allison three owner. Oh well.

crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Well I got them as a package with a JVC 200 disc changer, yamaha rx v 1050 and a niles speaker switch all for $100. The surround was totally rotted. I thought about refurbishing, but some of the cone on one of them was totally ripped and chunks missing. I donated them to the local thrift store. I didn't want the wrath of my wife when I got home. The receiver's right channel was cutting out and had static. I also donated that. The JVC xl-mc 334 is what I was after and that works perfect (after I got the stuck cd out) Someone tilted it with a bunch of CD's. I'm already no longer an Allison three owner. Oh well.

I don't get it. You got the Allison Threes but don.t have them any more? What surround?? The speaker cones were all rotted?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis