Affordable speaker outriggers

S

sakete

Audioholic
Anyone know where I can find an affordable set of outriggers for speakers? I know there's the stuff made by Soundocity, which is outrageously expensive (would cost over $500 to get outriggers for a pair of speakers, for what is essentially just some metal).

I've been searching online but haven't found anything else so far. Anyone have any ideas? They would be for a pair of Revel F206 speakers (9-3/4" W x 13-11/16" D), and I want them for stabilizing the speaker so they're less likely to tip over if my kid ran into them.

Thanks!

B

bingotem

Audiophyte
do a search for: parts express part #240-771
I haven't used these specifically, but have used other similar parts from dayton with good results.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't think it would take much skill, pretty basic stuff....no friends with a workshop in the garage?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Soundocity gear is good, though: Solid. And Paul was super cool and helpful answering questions and making certain I got what I needed. I have 4 pairs supporting platforms for my towers and subs. Milled steel, powder-coated, and the knob/spring/spike assembly is nice... A pair for 1 speaker is only like 130-150 depending on the size IIRC, so 1 pair of speakers at most would require 2 pair of outriggers, the largest of which would be $296 total before shipping.

To be honest, I agree with Lovin' too, you can turn this into an good DIY project too. Wood, driil, spike set from Parts Express, some extra hardware from the hardware store... some tracing paper. Might not be as sleek or adjustable, but you can make a platform out of a wood cutting board! A fraction of the cost.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Diy subwoofer are easier I don’t think I have building experience to make speakers but I suppose it’s not that difficult.
Crossover is the hardest part , just keep practicing I guess . First build might not turn out well , if your going to outperform top speakers with diy then that’s going to be a challenge but I’d prefer large woofers if I made a diy speaker . Or many small ones
The fanciest looking speaker take some serious professional talent .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Diy subwoofer are easier I don’t think I have building experience to make speakers but I suppose it’s not that difficult.
Crossover is the hardest part , just keep practicing I guess . First build might not turn out well , if your going to outperform top speakers with diy then that’s going to be a challenge but I’d prefer large woofers if I made a diy speaker . Or many small ones
The fanciest looking speaker take some serious professional talent .
He's talking about a speaker outrigger, i.e. splayed feet/support to widen the base of his Revel loudspeakers....to make them less prone to being tipped over....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The most simple approach is a plinth!
In other words screw a larger (in width and depth) board onto the bottom of the speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The most simple approach is a plinth!
In other words screw a larger (in width and depth) board onto the bottom of the speaker.
Looks like the F206 already has a plinth of some sort to screw into....might be more acceptable to many than the cabinet itself....

S

sakete

Audioholic
Looks like the F206 already has a plinth of some sort to screw into....might be more acceptable to many than the cabinet itself....
It does, but it still feels too unstable with a little kid running around so want to significantly widen the base by using an outrigger. But a few suggestions have been made here so far that I'll now start researching (well, tomorrow really).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It does, but it still feels too unstable with a little kid running around so want to significantly widen the base by using an outrigger. But a few suggestions have been made here so far that I'll now start researching (well, tomorrow really).
A larger board would do the trick, and be low to the floor so as not to catch a foot on like some of those rigger feet?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
He's talking about a speaker outrigger, i.e. splayed feet/support to widen the base of his Revel loudspeakers....to make them less prone to being tipped over....
I didn’t even know what a. Outrigger was maybe I thought it was a part of the speaker haha .
You just need those metal spikes or no ? Maybe find a way to support them with some sort of diy risers around them ? Maybe ? Square things and anchor it down?

Free the reptile aliens

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn’t even know what a. Outrigger was maybe I thought it was a part of the speaker haha .
You just need those metal spikes or no ? Maybe find a way to support them with some sort of diy risers around them ? Maybe ? Square things and anchor it down?

Free the reptile aliens
It is in the case of some speakers, my towers have outrigged feet....

Looking up terms you don't understand first is a good way to go....or heck in this case you had a company name to look at the specific ones, too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Looking up terms you don't understand first is a good way to go....or heck in this case you had a company name to look at the specific ones, too.
optimistic, huh? :p more a matter of comprehension I guess. :D

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
optimistic, huh? :p more a matter of comprehension I guess. :D
Bolt them to the floor they won’t go anywhere haha !!

And don’t smoke what is this non smoker was on ....

Free the reptile aliens

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
My review of the Parts Express 240-772 didn't get published. Maybe it was a delay and it'll show up eventually.

Anyway, I got them for the Klipsch RP-280F towers.

The pros: good price, gives you two different mounting options

The cons: really poor QA. One of the two pieces wasn't perfectly flat. One of the sockets where you screw in the feet was either stripped or improperly sized, so the screw is loose (and this was hand tightening). No instructions or drill template. A 4-outrigger option would have been nice for the extra stability.

Overall I gave it 3 stars just because it was inexpensive. The OEM part from klipsch was going to be nearly $150/pair.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-os-2hd-outrigger-speaker-spike-set-heavy-duty-with-black-steel-base-2-pcs--240-772

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis