Affect of crossover on the tone and voice of a driver

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Well of course not at the same output. Volume is meaningless. But this issue centers on usable and stable dynamic range.

The point is the bookshelf speaker will be fine in the violin and woodwind solo but when the full 100 piece orchestra plays fortissimo and a huge choir comes in and add a huge concert hall organ like the "Voice of Jupiter" in the RAH, the bookshelf will be severely wanting sub or not. But the massive overbuilt speaker if properly designed will sail through the fray and deliver the goods and get your hair standing on the back of your neck.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well of course not at the same output. Volume is meaningless. But this issue centers on usable and stable dynamic range.

The point is the bookshelf speaker will be fine in the violin and woodwind solo but when the full 100 piece orchestra plays fortissimo and a huge choir comes in and add a huge concert hall organ like the "Voice of Jupiter" in the RAH, the bookshelf will be severely wanting sub or not. But the massive overbuilt speaker if properly designed will sail through the fray and deliver the goods and get your hair standing on the back of your neck.
Greetings Mark,

I think my three Dayton RSS390HF-8A subs would handle almost anything. I am living in an apartment and I believe it wouldn't be feasible to attempt building and using transmission lines for them in such situation.

But what, in your opinion, is the best available CD recording featuring that Royal Albert Hall Organ? Some say it was the biggest instrument at one time, I may be wrong but I don't think that it ever was as big as the organ in Salt Lake city with the 64 foot stop, or the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ at Macy's Center City, Philadelphia.

By the way, it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Thanks in advance.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Greetings Mark,

I think my three Dayton RSS390HF-8A subs would handle almost anything. I am living in an apartment and I believe it wouldn't be feasible to attempt building and using transmission lines for them in such situation.

But what, in your opinion, is the best available CD recording featuring that Royal Albert Hall Organ? Some say it was the biggest instrument at one time, I may be wrong but I don't think that it ever was as big as the organ in Salt Lake city with the 64 foot stop, or the Wanamaker Grand Court Organ at Macy's Center City, Philadelphia.

By the way, it's always a pleasure to read your posts.

Thanks in advance.
I think you have somewhat misunderstood my posts. What I'm getting at is that subs are fine to an extent. The problem is that there power band is the last two octaves. There are huge power bands way above that point.

The real issue is the difference in available power in the 100 to 2.5 KHz bands especially. This is were bookshelves with a small driver fall short. Consumers tend to think the issue of using a bookshelf versus a much more substantial tower is just loss of bass extension, which a sub will handle. That is true. However they have lost much more than bass extension with the bookshelf option as a rule.

The upshot is I find people have their sub way too high and the sound is seriously unbalanced.

So there is the mid bass module option, but this is not a good option, as certainly above the last two octaves the sound need to be integrated.

A lot of resources are required in the region from 80 to 600 Hz for instance. So that is why I have that is why in my mains that power range is split between the mids and one of the 10" drivers in the long line. This in addition to being able to precisely set baffle step compensation makes for a very unique and powerful speaker system that remains perfectly balanced at power.

As far as the RAH organ, there are actually few good recordings, mainly because the Hall is in busy Kensington and so recordings have to be made in the dead of night. Even so traffic noise is prone to intrude.

The Organ is Father Willis's master piece and was completed in 1871. It was the largest organ in the world then and remains still way up the top 10 for concert Hall Organs. In fact I think still No 3. The organ was officially inaugurated by no less than Anton Bruckner I think in 1873.

The organ of course has had rebuilds the last of which was by Mander's between 2002 and 2004. This later was done superbly. This is the recording made after that restoration.

It is available from Amazon, and also Priory records

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis