Advice to beef up system

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
Did you ever measure the spl you are listeing to? Or, those clipping peaks? Maybe there are other issues that are the real problems.
I think that in this case the SPL has no impact. The poster sad that when he turns it up. (accourding to HIS ears) it starts to distort, or clip, sound bad what ever. But when he plays it soft or in 2 chan it does not distort.

If he can crank it in 2 chan to his max volume (accourding to his ears again) and it work fine, but as soon as he does multi chan it distorts that tells me tha the amp is working to hard.

The amp and speakers have to be able to work at the volume that the owner wants to watch a movie, or listen to music. If it doesn't then he has to find what is wrong, and try and fix it. I think that the amp is just working to hard. A 2 chan amp or even better a 3 chan amp would fix this problem I think.

Now if he had problems in 2 chan mode as well, now that might be a totally different story.

and Frog...B&W are nice speakers, I would not "upgrade" unless you are no longer happy with them. The bottome line is that you and your family are happy with them.

I hate Bose, but I did 2 systems in Bose cause the owner swore by them. (and would not let me put anything in but Bose) Guess what? He still is thrilled with them. And as an installer....that is all that matters to me.....he is happy!

Some one said I am not sure about this post or another thread on this great forum, that Speaker people sometimes are a little off on the Sens. rating of there speakers. So if the B&W speakers are rated at 90. Durring some musical, and DVD chapters they might be hitting as low a 87.

An example I had Earthquake Orbitals. They have sensitiviy ratings of 89 for the Center, 90 for the towers, and 88 for the surrounds. I started them off with a 100 watt receiver......Not Happy....clipping....distortion.....they did not sound like a $3500 set of speakers. :mad: Hooked them up to my 3805, they got better....but still got a little muddy when I cranked them. Hooked up a set of QSC amps that I had in the garage....sounded great. No problems. (Oher than the fans driving me nuts....but that is another story) Moral of the story.....Speakers were fine, do not tell me that the 3805 was bad....it to just did not drive those power hungry speakers like they needed to.

I now have the Phase Tech V-12's. They have 92 sens rating. And the 3805 drives them no problem.

My recomendation....by an amp. leave everything in place, and go from there. You can always upgrade speakers later on in life, and the amp you get can drive those new speakers too!

Enjoy!

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mulester7 said:
....Mtry, are we back on whether with 5 channel stereo, the channels don't all hit the current-draw at the same time?....and notes aren't held?......

Never seems to die. Now if you put a mono signal to all 5 channels, then yes, you will peak, most likely, at the same time. But, do you really listen to 5 ch mono? And, do you listen to music recordings that have equal volume to all 5 channels? That is an unrealistic recording. And, if it is not mono, why would they hit at the same instant?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Snap said:
I think that in this case the SPL has no impact. The poster sad that when he turns it up. (accourding to HIS ears) it starts to distort, or clip, sound bad what ever. But when he plays it soft or in 2 chan it does not distort.

If he can crank it in 2 chan to his max volume (accourding to his ears again) and it work fine, but as soon as he does multi chan it distorts that tells me tha the amp is working to hard.

The amp and speakers have to be able to work at the volume that the owner wants to watch a movie, or listen to music. If it doesn't then he has to find what is wrong, and try and fix it. I think that the amp is just working to hard. A 2 chan amp or even better a 3 chan amp would fix this problem I think.

Now if he had problems in 2 chan mode as well, now that might be a totally different story. Enjoy!
Without knowing more about his issue, how can you solve a perceived problem that may not even exist in reality? I like to analyze the problem beforehand, not solve them without knowing that there is one in the first place. I suppose a sugar pill will not do harm in the end.
Those speakers and receiver combo doesn't seem to be contributing to the issue unless we know much more of the details. But if he thinks bigger amps will solve his problems, by all means, he needs to get the biggest ones he can afford.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
Never seems to die. Now if you put a mono signal to all 5 channels, then yes, you will peak, most likely, at the same time. But, do you really listen to 5 ch mono? And, do you listen to music recordings that have equal volume to all 5 channels? That is an unrealistic recording. And, if it is not mono, why would they hit at the same instant?
.....Mtry, it's FOLLY, to say enough doesn't come out of the channels, to give credence to all-channels-driven, when they're drawing from ONE transformer....and essentially, it's only one amp section, with inadequate damping factor usually to boot....why are you such a diehard on NOT using larger rms-continuous watts on the soundstage speakers at least?....4 ohm speakers only intensify the need, sure, but we've had positive reports on 100 watt "efficient" 8 ohm speakers.....

Last edited:
mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
mtrycrafts said:
But if he thinks bigger amps will solve his problems, by all means, he needs to get the biggest ones he can afford.
.....there's hope.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....and essentially, it's only one amp section, with inadequate damping factor usually to boot.
mulester7 said:
HUH??? You don't have evidence to support this silly notion. But, there is evidence at this web site how silly this notion is.

...why are you such a diehard on NOT using larger rms-continuous watts on the soundstage speakers at least?...

Well, if you like large amps, be my guest. Others may needlessly are getting it due to urban legends on the net.

4 ohm speakers only intensify the need, sure, but we've had positive reports on 100 watt "efficient" 8 ohm speakers.....

How do you know he has a 4 ohm speaker when he buy-wires? Is there an impedance plot available someplace that verifies this?

Positive reports? Is that like psychics getting positive reports from customers?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....Mtry, you remind me of the cartoon where the frog's arms are reaching out of the pelican's closed beak, choking the pelican....the caption is, "never give up".....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mulester7 said:
.....Mtry, you remind me of the cartoon where the frog's arms are reaching out of the pelican's closed beak, choking the pelican....the caption is, "never give up".....

Hey, that is better than some other things I could conjure up:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis