ADVICE: OPPO 203 (Preamplifier) + Emotiva A-5175 (Living Room Home Theater)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I do have a mini, but if the app editor had been available at the time I wouldn't have gotten it. I've played around with it and am confident I could use just it and achieve that bass response. It's a game changer. You can limit it to only eq your bass too if you want.

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
I think the speakers will do me just fine, I haven't even unboxed them, come on.
I'm down for placement and early reflections, though.

@Pogre Right, but if you want to address both the mains and the subs beneath, say 300Hz, bets are off?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the speakers will do me just fine, I haven't even unboxed them, come on.
I'm down for placement and early reflections, though.

@Pogre Right, but if you want to address both the mains and the subs beneath, say 300Hz, bets are off?
You can address both with the app editor.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, 6 pages now. If I remember right, at least 3 members including me (I suggested the same twice) have suggested you go with the 203 direct to power amp option, that is, not the AVR option. All based on information you provided yourself, on what and how you want to use the system for. So what other opinions are you look for?

I think most are here to help, not to argue with you unless that's what you want.:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What matters to you, really?
Speakers? Room? Physical room treatment? Digital room correction?
For me, the top two are:
Recording quality of the source media contents, followed by speakers/room/placement/media players (including software based), power amps, preamps/DACs.

That's assuming all the hardware listed are on the right side of the point of diminishing return. All amps don't sound the same, if you include some cheap and nasty ones.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
OP, yeah, sure you can use the 203 as source and preamp, after all it has variable output in addition to fixed output; but, serving a preamp function, the 203 has very limited accommodation for source components, other than streaming sources via stereo usb B. At any rate, don't expect to hear a sound improvement from 203's DAC over just sending digital output to AVR. The AVR will get you better bass management too. BTW, my Parasound P6 ESS DAC seems to deliver the same detail and black backgrounds that the twin higher grade ESS DACs from my OPPO-205 deliver; plus, I have much more control of bass.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
OP, yeah, sure you can use the 203 as source and preamp, after all it has variable output in addition to fixed output; but, serving a preamp function, the 203 has very limited accommodation for source components, other than streaming sources via stereo usb B. At any rate, don't expect to hear a sound improvement from 203's DAC over just sending digital output to AVR. The AVR will get you better bass management too. BTW, my Parasound P6 ESS DAC seems to deliver the same detail and black backgrounds that the twin higher grade ESS DACs from my OPPO-205 deliver; plus, I have much more control of bass.
The P6's ES9018 K2M specs are:
127dB DNR, –120dB THD+N

The Oppo 205's flagship ES9038Pro specs:
140 dB DNR, -122 dB THD

So the 205's DACs implemented in differential mode has distortions so low and DNR so high that only Superman, Supergirl and Wonderwoman can hear the difference between them and the one used in the P6.

The P6's DAC's THD+N and DNR can already challenge the limits of the Audio Precision analyzer, may be that's why it seems to give you the same details as the Oppo's lol..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The P6's ES9018 K2M specs are:
127dB DNR, –120dB THD+N

The Oppo 205's flagship ES9038Pro specs:
140 dB DNR, -122 dB THD

So the 205's DACs implemented in differential mode has distortions so low and DNR so high that only Superman, Supergirl and Wonderwoman can hear the difference between them and the one used in the P6.

The P6's DAC's THD+N and DNR can already challenge the limits of the Audio Precision analyzer, may be that's why it seems to give you the same details as the Oppo's lol..
Hey now, I don't often disagree with you but I think you're dead wrong here...

I don't think Wonder Woman could hear the difference. :p

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey now, I don't often disagree with you but I think you're dead wrong here...

I don't think Wonder Woman could hear the difference. :p
You obviously know if I mention Superman, then I have no choice but to........:) Even the boring engineers must learn to be "p-%@#^&ly correct" today! So just doing the right thing..

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
Well, I obviously want the best possible for my situtation, so if an AVR gets me there, you know...

Marantz's 'warm' sound is due to distortion? 79dB SINAD @ ASR.

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
I would honestly rather purchase the MC-700 and A-700 from Emotiva.
11-band PEQ on all channels, IIR instead of FIR, couldn't care less, lol.
I'm limited in terms of height, so either Denon/Marantz will be too hot for my space, Emotiva is of less issue.
MC-700 + A-5175 get too high.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I obviously want the best possible for my situtation, so if an AVR gets me there, you know...

I don't think Marantz has a "warm sound". It sounds just as good as my old Denon(s) and even older Yamaha.

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
Right, I blame internet people, they all say different, what do I know without having tested it?

Thanks for everything.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember seeing post about going with Anthem for the "warm sound (might have been musical, non fatiguing or something like that.." too, but according to Anthem's FAQ, they didn't seem to want to take credit:

Frequently Asked Questions | Anthem® (anthemav.com)

Do the amps have a warm sound or a bright sound?
None of our components are designed with a "sonic flavor" other than playing exactly what's in a recording. Unfortunately with pop CD mastering, pushing levels way into overload regardless of how much distortion this adds is all too common. Recordings of acoustic instruments with minimal or no processing during mastering sound more natural, therefore they are a much better test of how natural-sounding the playback equipment is.

That "sounds" :D good to me, that recording quality is more important!! That is, once you get into devices that offer distortions below the threshold of audibility, such as 0.01% THD+N, flat FR, etc..

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I remember seeing post about going with Anthem for the "warm sound" too, but according to Anthem's FAQ, they didn't seem to want to take credit:

Frequently Asked Questions | Anthem® (anthemav.com)

Do the amps have a warm sound or a bright sound?
None of our components are designed with a "sonic flavor" other than playing exactly what's in a recording. Unfortunately with pop CD mastering, pushing levels way into overload regardless of how much distortion this adds is all too common. Recordings of acoustic instruments with minimal or no processing during mastering sound more natural, therefore they are a much better test of how natural-sounding the playback equipment is.

That "sounds" :D good to me, that recording quality is more important!! That is, once you get into devices that offer distortions below the threshold of audibility, such as 0.01% THD+N, flat FR, etc..
*mic drop*

:p :p

V

Venue

Junior Audioholic
You would complain on MC-700's 11-band PEQ, would you?
Pretty nice bass management paired with a miniDSP?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

I don't think so, 79 dB SINAD is 0.011% THD+N, that's better than some so called hi end amps tested. I have my fair share of Marantz amps, they all sound as good as my Denons, and separates. Some people don't even get the warm sound from the newest McIntosh tube amps that have low distortions. I think you nee to get to the >1% range to have some chance to hear it, especially if listen without knowing which one is playing.

May also have something to do with frequency response. Marantz tried that using the slow roll off DAC reconstruction filter so there is a slightly roll of starting from about 10 kHz, but that would have little effect for sampling frequency above 44.1 kHz. No difference for analog inputs for sure.

Your Oppo 203 let you select different filters, Marantz don't offer a choice. My hearing isn't perfect pass 10 kHz anyway so those filters won't make any difference to me.

By the way, if you have time, try the Klippel test. It may not mean anything to you, but you may find it fun to do.

Listening Test (klippel.de)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis