Advice on selecting new ceiling speakers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Next year I plan on upgrading the in ceiling speakers I have in the theater room

My options are 3

The JTR Noesis 110HT-SL

PSA MT-110SR

And the JBL Control 322ct

I have some in walls I bought from the installer up there right now decent got them for a good deal but I new they would someday be replaced

You guys know me I like big drivers high power handling big dynamics with clean
output no distortion and very high sensitivity in my speakers I like full sound at lower volumes and not stressing my amps

I feel like these 3 are my best shots

I love coaxiaI been wanting to go with bigger drivers and coaxials for the in ceiling for awhile

Some of that reason is there size dimensions as well any one of these 3 can fit into my cutouts with minimal fuss to replace the old speakers

Just looking for some opinions and good guidance room size is 26ft long by 18ft wide with 9ft ceilings

20200307_172746.jpg
20191209_041459.jpg

Any input is appreciated

P.S.

I'm really fascinated with the JBL's but I know you need to mod them a little bypass the transformer to use them on a regular amp anybody know of a good compression driver in ceiling by JBL where I don't have to do this? That is just me being lazy it's totally worth the effort if they are worth getting I can find them on eBay for killer deals all the time

Thank you for any advice hope everyone had a great 4rth

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I apologize the JBL comes in an 8 ohm amplifier compatible with no transformer so they already have the lazy version of these

The JBL control 322c

I totally missed that but still any advice feedback guidance is very appreciated

I'm leaning towards the JBL but need critical feedback from you guys if there is a better road to go

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I apologize the JBL comes in an 8 ohm amplifier compatible with no transformer so they already have the lazy version of these

The JBL control 322c

I totally missed that but still any advice feedback guidance is very appreciated

I'm leaning towards the JBL but need critical feedback from you guys if there is a better road to go
I doubt you need a 12" driver for ceiling speakers. I'm using 4" speakers and I have never heard them overload. Bullets sizzle. I do agree a coaxial is a good idea, or a full ranger. I'm using 4" full rangers. I think the speakers should be enclosed.

If you want a full ranger I think Mark Audio have some good options for you.

If you want a coaxial, this should do the trick very well.

Here is the crossover for it.

I think this Tang Band full ranger would also work.

You absolutely do not want to push a lot of bass into the ceiling speakers, because of reinforcement issues because of the large baffle. Rolling off around 120 Hz is a good plan.

I'm basically negatively impressed with the design of most ceiling speakers. Bunging those monstrosities in the ceiling unenclosed is just bad engineering.

Nice looking room by the way.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt you need a 12" driver for ceiling speakers. I'm using 4" speakers and I have never heard them overload. Bullets sizzle. I do agree a coaxial is a good idea, or a full ranger. I'm using full rangers. I think the speakers should be enclosed.

You absolutely do not want to push a lot of bass into the ceiling speakers, because of reinforcement issues because of the large baffle. Rolling off around 120 Hz is a good plan.

I'm basically negatively impresses with the design of most ceiling speakers. Bunging those monstrosities in the ceiling unenclosed is just bad engineering.

Hey thanks for the info I'll be looking into every thing you linked

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I doubt you need a 12" driver for ceiling speakers. I'm using 4" speakers and I have never heard them overload. Bullets sizzle. I do agree a coaxial is a good idea, or a full ranger. I'm using full rangers. I think the speakers should be enclosed.

I'm basically negatively impresses with the design of most ceiling speakers. Bunging those monstrosities in the ceiling unenclosed is just bad engineering.

That was another reason I liked the JBL they come with enclosures but like you said if they're overkill I want to look at other options

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you very much that means a lot coming from you I really value and appreciate your knowledge and what you share with all of us I've learned a lot from you

me and my father sweated so much last year on that room except for a couple areas like the star ceiling that were just outside our abilities to do

You say this a lot and I learned it myself with this room but you just don't realize how good things can sound until you build a dedicated area especially for atmos

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm basically negatively impresses with the design of most ceiling speakers. Bunging those monstrosities in
I couldn't agree with you more Ive always been disappointed with most in ceiling designs just like a lot of center channel speaker designs

I've always felt that since heights aren't considered to have as much info as mains companies feel like they can get away with just sub par designs I know some companies try but a lot don't

But I've always believed every speaker should be designed in each position to do its best with as little compromise as possible it's why I enjoy your builds so much in your rooms

Nothing even your heights is done with half measures

I still have a long way to go to get where I want in my room but that's part of the fun I just know as good as it sounds it could be better I'm looking forward to chasing that potential

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I would seriously consider Triad Speakers. We typically install Triad Bipole Surrounds for Atmos where the ceilings are 9 feet or less. They deliver excellent dispersion while maintaining channel localization. Alternatively, Triad's InCeiling LCRs are also a great choice.

Triad will also paint the speakers and/or grills to match your paint.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would seriously consider Triad Speakers. We typically install Triad Bipole Surrounds for Atmos where the ceilings are 9 feet or less. They deliver excellent dispersion while maintaining channel localization. Alternatively, Triad's InCeiling LCRs are also a great choice.

I've looked on your site before those in ceiling l c r have always caught my eye I'll shoot you a PM

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

It wouldn't be too hard to match the paint lol the ceilings black :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I doubt you need a 12" driver for ceiling speakers. I'm using 4" speakers and I have never heard them overload. Bullets sizzle. I do agree a coaxial is a good idea, or a full ranger. I'm using 4" full rangers. I think the speakers should be enclosed.

I'm basically negatively impressed with the design of most ceiling speakers. Bunging those monstrosities in the ceiling unenclosed is just bad engineering.
For some reason on posting the system rearranged this post. This has happened on other occasions recently. Any how I have put in the correct order. By the way those SEAS coaxials in sealed boxes would be a very good solution for you. They are made under license form KEF and they are the ones I use in my center channel. I do not use that crossover, but there is nothing wrong with the one listed.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Look into the Klipsch. I had a few sets of them a few years ago. The sound was great and they had some nice clean bass and handled over 100 watts. The last pick are the ones I had. The first pic are ones a friend of mind had and they were sounded incredible. But a little pricey for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Look into the Klipsch. I had a few sets of them a few years ago. The sound was great and they had some nice clean bass and handled over 100 watts. The last pick are the ones I had. The first pic are ones a friend of mind had and they were sounded incredible. But a little pricey for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks the THX ultra line is the one I've always been fascinated in

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thanks the THX ultra line is the one I've always been fascinated in
Those look to be the older Klipsch THX speakers.

The new models are designated as THX-5002 as an FYI.

My recommendation would be Kef in ceilings or Revel in ceilings.

The C783’s by Revel are simply phenomenal.

It’s not hard to get any of these speakers discounted by upwards of 25% to make your wallet happier or your room sound better at the same price.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Those look to be the older Klipsch THX speakers.

The new models are designated as THX-5002 as an FYI.

My recommendation would be Kef in ceilings or Revel in ceilings.

The C783’s by Revel are simply phenomenal.

It’s not hard to get any of these speakers discounted by upwards of 25% to make your wallet happier or your room sound better at the same price.
Cool thanks appreciate the input guys your giving me lots of good options to dig into keep them coming!

R

rrj

Enthusiast
@Danzilla31,

Did you take a look at the JBL Control 226 C/T? It has a 6.5" driver with a 1" titanium compression driver, similar to the Studio Series speakers you have. Sensitivity is 90db. It comes fully enclosed with its own can:

I just purchased a B-stock pair and they sound very similar to my existing 530's. To test them I placed them on my speaker stands where my 530's normally are in my room and they play down to around 70Hz (Audyssey optimized) before they roll off. For comparison my 530's roll off at around 40Hz in my room. Measured with REW.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@Danzilla31,

Did you take a look at the JBL Control 226 C/T? It has a 6.5" driver with a 1" titanium compression driver, similar to the Studio Series speakers you have. Sensitivity is 90db. It comes fully enclosed with its own can:

I just purchased a B-stock pair and they sound very similar to my existing 530's. To test them I placed them on my speaker stands where my 530's normally are in my room and they play down to around 70Hz (Audyssey optimized) before they roll off. For comparison my 530's roll off at around 40Hz in my room. Measured with REW.

Hope this helps.
Yes this does help options lovely options Thank you!

G

Grandzoltar

Full Audioholic
https://speakerdata2034.blogspot.com/2019/06/revel-in-ceiling-speakers-spinorama-data.html?m=1 The Revel 763 measure a little better. Crossing over a tweeter to a 6.5 blends better. Being that they will be for surround duties this will be better mid range than an 8 inch driver will provide.
Another contender because of the off axis response of a coaxial driver I see seas have been mentioned prior.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis