GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
If by "open cabinet", you mean no back or front, then yes, I think you'd be fine with the simple multifan unit.
I use my Multifan unit with a Denon 4520 which has a USB port on the back. Many of the newer models no longer have that, and I don't think it looks very good to have it plugged into the front USB.
This one uses a standard AC plug:

If you want it to turn on-off automatically, I would use something like this which switches outlets on-off depending on the on-off status of the device plugged into the master outlet:

If convenient, use the TV as the master controller for on-off, but AVR will work fine as well!
I will probably end up using the USB on my TV, I have an Alexa control device paired with my system that I can tell her to turn on or off. It actually does the same for the receiver, or it use to do the same before it bit the dust. I turn on my lights,turn up volume, set the AC and change the channel. It's pretty cool as I have the multi colored lights and for movies I can really set the ambiance. Also we have Amazon Music account and tell her to play any album or song I want thru my system. If you haven't used an Alexa device I would definitely recommend it.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
They're largely a sales oriented outfit....and I usually would avoid asking retailers in general any technical questions as that tends to be a weak point. I wouldn't spend $400 more on a Marantz over it's Denon cousin, tho.
You are probably right but I would always wonder what if. If I could just listen to the D&M side by it might change my mind. Not 100% what I will do but need to do something asap. The speakers on my TV are killing me!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I will probably end up using the USB on my TV, I have an Alexa control device paired with my system that I can tell her to turn on or off. It actually does the same for the receiver, or it use to do the same before it bit the dust. I turn on my lights,turn up volume, set the AC and change the channel. It's pretty cool as I have the multi colored lights and for movies I can really set the ambiance. Also we have Amazon Music account and tell her to play any album or song I want thru my system. If you haven't used an Alexa device I would definitely recommend it.
That sounds pretty neat!
I have been using Alexa since the original Echo (I was in on the first pre-buy deal on Echo's).
I use mine all of the time, however, i have not branched out into the control systems. The most advanced thing I have done is set up an "everywhere" group so I can walk around the house and have the same music in every room. I don't know if it is just dumb luck, but for my situation all of them are perfectly in synch such that I do not experience any type of reverb effect when my ears are transitioning as I walk between rooms!
But thanks for the thought, Covid is a good time to take on such projects!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The Denon AVR-S930H I believe had a power consumption of 460W. The Marantz SR7013 or Denon X4500H has 710W which is about a additional 2 amp power draw. I normally listen at 65-85DB. Do you think stepping up to a higher power consumption will cause any more power draw?
Both Denon and Marantz publish power consumption for their AVRs, but they don't specify under which conditions they calculate it. No one on this site has come up with a precise answer either. Of course, while operating at full power before clipping, they definitely consume more than stated. Maybe the figures published represent total consumption when all channels are driven at 1/3 of their rated power. Who knows?

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
After a lot of thought I ended up ordering the Marantz SR7013. I got it brand new for $1499 on A4L using the upgrade100 promo code. For a $100 more than a refurbished unit you can get a new one using that code.No tax and free shipping. It should be here later this week.After I get it set up and run Audyssey I will post a review. Can't wait! You don't realize how much you miss your surround sound until you have to listen to the TV speakers set to enhanced audio!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
After a lot of thought I ended up ordering the Marantz SR7013. I got it brand new for $1499 on A4L using the upgrade100 promo code. For a $100 more than a refurbished unit you can get a new one using that code.No tax and free shipping. It should be here later this week.After I get it set up and run Audyssey I will post a review. Can't wait! You don't realize how much you miss your surround sound until you have to listen to the TV speakers set to enhanced audio!
That's a great avr. I think you're gonna be a happy camper.

GuitarPicker

GuitarPicker

Junior Audioholic
I finally have my system set up and have my thoughts about the receiver and some possible issues that I need to resolve.

1: Remote: Function buttons are really small. I can barely read it. Back light for the keypad on the remote is nice and I've learned which buttons to press by it's location.

2: Sound: Really impressed. Right out of the box I could hear sounds that I didn't with my old receiver. I did however go from a 5.1.2 to a 5.1.4. The Bowers and Wilkins seems to have a more "full" sound and the subwoofer never sounded better. I was streaming a movie and in one scene the sub hit such a low note it made my ear drums rattle. It wasn't "boomy" just a low frequency. Haven't listened to any music yet but will try that later.

3: Heat: The first day I hooked it up I cranked up the volume. After a couple hours I decided to check the receiver and it was so hot it would almost burn you. I have a small fan blowing on it for now but ordered an Aircom T10 cooling fan. If you are using in a cabinet or listening at high volumes this is definitely a must. Thanks for the suggestions on which fans to buy.

4: Audyssey XT32: When I first started Audyssey it went to a sub calibration. I have a HSU down firing sub that I can't remember the model #. In order to get the calibration in the "green" area I had to turn the volume on the sub down to somewhere between 1 and 2. A few years ago I spoke with Peter at HSU and they recommend the setting at about 3, I was a little surprised I had to turn it down so low. The bass sounds good but it doesn't seem to rattle the walls in a manner of speaking when it should and after running Audyssey I feel like I lost some of the sound separation I had when it was straight out of the box.

To sum up I am a very happy camper! This thing looks so cool sitting in the cabinet and it really sounds incredible. However I think I need to do some minor tweaking to get it to it's optimal performance and looking for any suggestion's.

On a side note I had the power company come out yesterday and they installed a "meter treater" on the meter that comes in to your house. It's a surge protector that they installed and it cost me $18.91. Glad I was there when they put it on. Normal cost is around a $125 but since we are part of a Co-Op they offered me a discounted price. I didn't figure for less than $20 that it would be much of nothing but I was really surprised. Also just received the SQ D HEPD80 surge suppressor that I will mount in my indoor panel box as soon as my electrician friend can get by later this week. Hopefully that will help protect my investment in my HT system

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sweet! The position of the gain knob on the sub will vary with gear somewhat, on the subs I've got with plate amps I usually have them set about 20-30% of the gain range. Many do raise sub level after Audyssey a few dB (in the avr so it's repeatable/returnable to original calibration, gain knobs on subs I'd leave as is).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis