Advice and info on vintage setup

S

Scruffy Jay

Audiophyte
Currently bidding on a vintage hi-fi setup but am struggling to get info online. The record player is quite common but can't find anything on the amp or speakers.

Specs:

Technics SL-D2 with replacement technics stylus
Sanyo JXL 6440 amp 130 watts
Coral speakers, unsure on model number

Looks like a nice setup in very good condition, and currently going for $140 USD

Any information, mainly on the speakers or amp would be greatly appreciated

Here are some pictures:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
First off, I hope you don't live in the USA because that unit specifies 240VAC, 50Hz and we run 120VAC, 60Hz.
Second, there is nothing nice, unless the TT is (I did not take time to research and I am not a vinyl guy).
Third, consider the Cassette player worthless, it was never good quality.
Forth, Sanyo made some decent cheap components, but they never made anything worth getting excited about.
Fifth, unless the speaker surrounds have been replaced, it is almost certain to need them.
Sixth, the Sanyo system came with Sanyo speakers. I would have some concern that the Sanyo electronics may not be properly tuned to teh Coral speakers (which is a brand I don't know, but I never heard a speaker from Japan in the 70's that could compete with USA or European speakers. They got better later, but while Japan captured the market on electronics, they lagged behind with speakers (IMHO) in this era. Technics and Sony were just starting to get decent in the late 70's. I have no idea what vintage the Coral speakers are, I have never heard of the company!

Did the seller state everything worked properly?
I'd be very impressed if it did! I would guess that unit to be around 45 years old and expect there to be lots of "scratchiness" when adjusting the volume. Also rubber (as used for belts in the TT and cassette player drys out and shrinks over time) This was not a very expensive system when new and it would be unusual for anyone to spend the money to overhaul it as opposed to buying something new.
IMHO, the only thing it has going for it is it looks kind of cool in a retro way.
Personally, unless you have lots of information on the system to know it is in perfect condition, I would get out while I can!

S

Scruffy Jay

Audiophyte
Not from the US.

Yes, seller stated the system is in perfect working order with a nice sound from the speakers.

I am not interested in the casette player

Coral has a good reputation for quality speakers in their day.

Replacing the belts on an SL-D2 is far from unusual. The TT alone is worth over $100

Appreciate your feedback but i get the feeling it is pure speculation based on face value, because you seem to have no knowledge whatsoever of the equipment in question

I have no reason to believe it isn't in working order unless i assume he is a scammer, but you could say that about literally anything

Would like to reiterate that the info im looking for is any details/history on the amp or speakers (mainly the speakers, the consensus is that they are a quality brand but inhaven't managed to track down which model these ones are). Google has been fruitless.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry to have wasted your time.
You are correct I have no specific info on this gear. I was an avid HiFi enthusiast when this unit was manufactured.
Sanyo never made HiFi equipment, so don't put much hope for that being something great.
Look at it as the value of the TT and speakers.
Why doesn't the seller specify what model the speakers are?
It is also unusual not to take a photo of the speakers without the grill removed so you can verify the condition of the drivers.
I hope it works out for you if you end up getting them.

S

Scruffy Jay

Audiophyte
The seller didn't specify the model of any of the equipment. I think they're just a lazy trader. Someone asked for the model number of the amp and they provided it. I've asked for more info and still waiting on a reply, but the auction closes soon.

I agree about the condition of the drivers being a potential issue but at this point im taking the word of the seller as to their condition

Thank you, i do too. I'd almost be happy with the price for the TT alone, assuming its condition is good, so i will probably go through with the purchase, and my gut feeling tells me im going to he pleasantly surprised with the speakers. And of course as you said, they have a really nice retro aesthetic.

If anyone has any experience with the Coral brand i would love to hear from you

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Jay,
I would not provide you any direct opinion on these speakers, just the results from my findings on the internet.
a) KEW is correct - Coral is mid 70's speakers from Japan. Some say these COULD BE reverse engineered JBLs.
b) AH forum isn't the ideal place for you to find experts in vintage audio, but I bet Mark (@TLS Guy ) may help with record players.
c) Here are few (old) discussions on Coral speaker, which may help you find people directly experienced with these (especially AudioKarma - do make sure to post your questions on vintage audio there)
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/coral-speakers-anybody-know-them.226020/
https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/25961-ever-heard-of-coral-speakers/
d) I wasn't able to visually identify your Coral speakers model, but some of them (due to nostalgy and/or rarity) are popular with vintage audio crowd and demand nice coin
Good luck to you and I have to guess, you're visiting us from New Zealand.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It is a shame the seller is not providing more info. If the TT is worth $100 and stylus is a good one in good shape, that would quickly clear the $140 mark, alone!
Let us know how it works out!
I would delighted for you to tell me you told me so, and after getting more info from your follow-up post think there is a decent chance you will.
Because I have never heard of Coral, I suspect they were not sold in the USA or were only sold for a brief period here. Since Google brings up little, I expect they were a smaller Japanese speaker manufacturer and discontinued production well before the internet age. That doesn't reveal anything about the speakers, they may have been excellent but the company did not have a good handle on marketing or business needed to grow and become a well known name.

S

Scruffy Jay

Audiophyte
Thanks guys. Definitely feeling quite optimistic about the speakers based on those threads. It is indeed a shame i haven't managed to get more info about them. The auction closes tonight so i will let you know the results

And yes, New Zealand is correct! It's quite difficult finding vintage audio equipment here which isn't exorbitantly priced, especially Technics TT's, so as long as that piece alone is in good condition i don't think im at a huge risk of making a loss

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The only thing of any value is the Technics turntable, which is direct drive. The Far Eastern Technics cartridge will be junk and should be replaced right away.

The Sanyo was junk when it was new and now it is old worthless junk.

The Coral speakers are typical of the absolutely awful Far Eastern speakers of the period.

This is typical of the Coral offerings, and you just have to look at the pictures to know it will produce a horrifying earful. So those are junk.

S

Scruffy Jay

Audiophyte
I am interested what you base that judgement of the Corals on, as the consensus seems to be quite the opposite, and the picture is quite clearly not the same pair of speakers so im not sure how it's relevant

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am interested what you base that judgement of the Corals on, as the consensus seems to be quite the opposite, and the picture is quite clearly not the same pair of speakers so im not sure how it's relevant
It's simple. There were no Far Eastern speakers of that period that had any sort of fidelity what ever. Most of the pictures of those Coral speakers reveal the design mode of those speakers. A paper woofer with a crude corrugated surround, a mid that is similar, that were actually TV or cheap radio speakers, and a crude cone tweeter. The mids in those speakers were known as "squawkers". That was a good description.

One of those speakers in the photographs listed are Lowther knock offs, almost certainly engineered wrong.

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
So, what clued you in?
At the bottom of the 'Image 4 of 5' is written "Manufactured and assembled in New Zealand by Autocrat Sanyo LTD..." so this could be an indication.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
At the bottom of the 'Image 4 of 5' is written "Manufactured and assembled in New Zealand by Autocrat Sanyo LTD..." so this could be an indication.
Yeah, I saw the Sanyo was made in NZ, but I wondered if BSA knew NZ does not export electronics - that would be a good clue.
I went with Australia just to play odds. I figure if Sanyo makes electronics in NZ (with English labels on the back) that they would go to Australia as well and since Australia has a bigger population...
If I just gambled wrong, so be it, but if BSA had a basis for ruling out Australia, I'd like to learn it!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Much simpler. Origin imgur photos are screenshots which show the background of p2p selling site (i guess yet another Craigslist clone) it shows on the bottom word "Otago" which is a region in nz.
Nice!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis